Wikiposts

Moving back to Scotland

Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute
Question Moving back to Scotland

Finally we are in the countdown for moving back to Scotland after too too many years. I will be coming first as we have to wait for our dogs to be finished their 6 month period. I am wondering when my husband sends boxes what does he put on them so that I do not have to pay duty on them when they arrive. I have heard some horror stories of the package costing more for duty than what was inside was worth.

Most of the contents would be personal items, clothes, some treasured pottery and some computer things. Any information would be a great help,
Old Jun 14th 2009, 2:39 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Scotland

Just to wish you luck. Hey, take a look at the link below. A little bit of your own history to touch base with.

http://www.greyfriarsbobby.co.uk/story.html
Old Jun 14th 2009, 5:22 pm
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Finally we are in the countdown for moving back to Scotland after too too many years. I will be coming first as we have to wait for our dogs to be finished their 6 month period. I am wondering when my husband sends boxes what does he put on them so that I do not have to pay duty on them when they arrive. I have heard some horror stories of the package costing more for duty than what was inside was worth.

Most of the contents would be personal items, clothes, some treasured pottery and some computer things. Any information would be a great help,
All the best in your move back to Scotland? Where abouts are you returning to?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 6:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a resident returning from overseas there is no duty levied (provided nothing is brand new - but I don't thnk they bother with that unless you are shipping a car). Your shipping company should help you with the necessary import forms to avoid duty.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the kind words of luck. We are moving to Kilmaurs, 20 miles from Glasgow. I will staying with a friend until I am established re employment etc.

All of the items will be sent by post every two weeks by my husband as we are not taking any large household stuff with us. The boxes hold about 6lbs and are about 18 inches square.

This decision was made after many years of thinking that financially we were in the black and since the economy of Canada is now in the toilet and us with it, we have decided to pack up what we have left and get out of dodge.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 5:08 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the kind words of luck. We are moving to Kilmaurs, 20 miles from Glasgow. I will staying with a friend until I am established re employment etc.

All of the items will be sent by post every two weeks by my husband as we are not taking any large household stuff with us. The boxes hold about 6lbs and are about 18 inches square.

This decision was made after many years of thinking that financially we were in the black and since the economy of Canada is now in the toilet and us with it, we have decided to pack up what we have left and get out of dodge.
If you are sending stuff in dribs and drabs, this may make things more complicated re: establishing you are a resident returning from an extended period overseas (because normally, all your belongings would be returned in a single shipment). I think you should contact HM Customs to get a definitive answer.