Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back plans but anti-immigrant sentiment concern

Moving back plans but anti-immigrant sentiment concern

Old Dec 3rd 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving back plans but anti-immigrant sentiment concern

Considering returning after a very long absence, but concerned about rising anti-immigrant sentiment especially with the rise of Brexit. Spouse is Eastern European and her concern is what we’ve heard in the news happening in some quarters of Britain. Before Brexit, we couldn't imagine anything like this attitude that now seems to be bubbling to the surface in some areas.

Is this unfounded? Is this a rising trend or purely isolated?
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 9:17 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back plans but anti-immigrant sentiment concern

The so-called post-Brexit 'hate' crimewave was barely a ripple. It's not something to be concerned about.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 9:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

What BiP said
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, thanks all. Sometimes hard to gauge overseas news and reports with reality on the ground. We’ll be very happy to return.
Old Dec 4th 2017, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The so-called post-Brexit 'hate' crimewave was barely a ripple. It's not something to be concerned about.
+1

I wouldn’t give it a second thought.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's non Brit EU citizens living in the UK that you need to ask.

Anti immigrant lies were a big part of the vote for Brexit and I would imagine that feels pretty crappy if you are a non Brit EU citizen living in the UK

I wouldn't let it stop you moving back if that is what you both want to do but I think you do have to be aware that Brexit has stirred up a particularly nasty side of the UK, very much like Trump here in the US.
Old Dec 5th 2017, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NiHao
I think it's non Brit EU citizens living in the UK that you need to ask.

Anti immigrant lies were a big part of the vote for Brexit and I would imagine that feels pretty crappy if you are a non Brit EU citizen living in the UK

I wouldn't let it stop you moving back if that is what you both want to do but I think you do have to be aware that Brexit has stirred up a particularly nasty side of the UK, very much like Trump here in the US.
Based on our information and reading, this is exactly on target. I think you have to actually be an immigrant living in this ongoing political situation to really know and understand. It’s undeniable the kind of anti-immigrant sentiment stirred up by Trump in the US has similarities in some quarters in the UK.

I’m sure Brexit wasn’t the cause but rather allowed some of these repressed attitudes to freely surface. It’s going to be there for the foreseeable future in our opinion. We know some are returning to their home countries for this reason.

But it seems to be a small minority, and I hope it won’t deter us.