Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back from Oz without your family

Moving back from Oz without your family

Old Oct 16th 2012, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default Moving back from Oz without your family

Has anyone moved back to the UK on their own, leaving partner + kids in Oz? I am tempted to come back next year, even if it's temporary to try to find work and spend some time with my aged mum. Everyone is really settled here, but I am bored (out of work in Brisbane) and if I am to be unemployed, I'd have so much more to do in the UK. My hubby has a job he loves here, but sadly not enough for us all to live on. Kids are older and pretty independent. I've always worked before coming to Oz (IT professional) and work prospects in Brisbane are pretty dire for now, but seem better in SE England... I'd love to hear people's experiences of how it worked for them...
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:24 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back from Oz without your family

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Has anyone moved back to the UK on their own, leaving partner + kids in Oz? I am tempted to come back next year, even if it's temporary to try to find work and spend some time with my aged mum. Everyone is really settled here, but I am bored (out of work in Brisbane) and if I am to be unemployed, I'd have so much more to do in the UK. My hubby has a job he loves here, but sadly not enough for us all to live on. Kids are older and pretty independent. I've always worked before coming to Oz (IT professional) and work prospects in Brisbane are pretty dire for now, but seem better in SE England... I'd love to hear people's experiences of how it worked for them...
It's difficult isn't it, when everyone else is settled but you?

I'm still hoping my family will be open to spending some time back in the UK in 2014 but between now and then we have to be able to afford it (and hope kid doesn't fall madly in love with an Aussie!)

Apart from work, what types of thing would you like to do back in the UK that you can't do here in Brisbane?
Old Oct 16th 2012, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

No but the thought did cross my mind once or twice (an hour!). I wouldn't have left the DH for any length of time and fortunately he agreed to move back to help support my aged rellies. If he had said no and the same thing had happened to my parents I have no idea what I would have done!
Old Oct 16th 2012, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Is the IT industry not bouyant in Brisbane?

My mate said there is work for IT people in the energy sector (which we worked in together before he went to Brisbane).

Would finding work help you feel more settled?
Old Oct 16th 2012, 11:23 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
I would find it very hard to be in a different country than my family to be honest, I would even live in Australia if I had to. Brisbane is a bit depressed and jobs can be hard to come by so Im not sure what to suggest. I dont think splitting the family is the right course of action and really I dont know what to suggest.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were going to write that you intend to return to the UK to get a decent job to meet the employment financial requirements for a spouse visa so you can all move to the UK. I could see that working.

The other possibility is to become a seasonal resident. Presently I'm in Florida and seasonal residence here is a very very common way of life. I guess for you that would mean summers in the UK and summers in Australia. You just have to figure out how to make it work financially. If the children are older I can see being away from them months, but not years, at a time. The big thing is whether there is somewhere you can stay for free in the UK where "contract" (ie short term) work is available.

Last edited by holly_1948; Oct 16th 2012 at 1:16 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, We are all British citizens - I also have places that I can stay for free in the UK which would make contracting possible. It's just that work is so hard to find in Brisbane, and prior to coming to Australia I've always worked in relatively senior IT positions. Quite honestly I don't need or particularly want anything senior or full time but there are very few ICT roles going and for most I am 'overqualified' I can only change my resume so much - I have over 20 years experience. I'd rather stay with my family if I could, and my hubby has said he will consider a return to UK in 2-3 years time. The problem is my mum is getting on, and I'd like to spend some time with her as well - If I'm unemployed it makes so much more sense to be in the UK where I can be of some use, and enjoy all the cultural things I miss so much. I also love to travel, and it's too expensive for us to travel far here on a teacher's salary. Sorry to moan, I don't want to uproot my family when they're happy, but I need some more purpose in life than doing the chores and going down the gym!
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:40 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered doing a startup? If you have the IT experience in developing new ideas and applications, could you put it to use 'doing your own thing'?

I haven't a clue as to the resources available for entrepreneurs around you, but with some experience in the field you might be able to attract some assistance and funding to try a 'new new thing'. You might want to check around and see if there are any programs or meetups near you for startups looking to get off the ground.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like seasonal residence should work then. Your mum gets you for half the year (including the day-tripper weather part of the year) and you get your family for the other half, including Christmas.

One round trip a year isn't a huge stretch financially and all sorts of minor things can be accomplished. It's an interesting and fulfilling way of life provided you can make the finances work.