Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to original country, help??

Moving back to original country, help??

Old Jul 16th 2001, 2:50 pm
Jocelyne Dates

My husband (the U.S. Citizen) and I (the Canadian) want to move back to Canada. We
don't want to do it right away but would like to in the next couple of years. We have
not had our adjustment of status interview yet, we should be expecting it soon. We
filed all of our forms at the very beginning of January 2001. Can we move after the
Adjustment of Status? Will i be allowed back to the U.S. when visiting his parents? I
am also pregnant and will give birth in the U.S. in January 2002. Will it be
difficult for us, as a family to move to Canada? Thank you for your help.

--
_

Jocelyne Dates

Old Jul 16th 2001, 4:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Jocelyne

There is an excellent newsgroup for Canadian immigration. If you don't know the procedure for migrating your husband to Canada, I suggest you ask them for assistance and also go to the Canadian Immigration site. It is a very comprehensive site and you can d/l the forms and information you need for family class migration. Since you are young and family oriented I don't see that you will have any problems Canadian immigration. Your husband will need to do much of what you did to come here, i.e. medical, fbi clearance, etc. I read that there is a financial support sponsorship requirement you have to fulfill as well, although another poster claims this is not true. I understand that it is not as stringent as the sponsorship for a fiancee but again the website told me one thing, and the other poster said something else.

As for your status here in the States. If you are planning to move to Canada to live and work, then you will lose your permanent residency here in the States. The only way to preserve it that I am aware of is by continued residency in the US for more than 6 months of the year and/or to be out of the US because your spouse is working for a company that has assigned him to an out of the country position, you can get a re-entry permit to the US thus perserving your green card status.

As for the visiting part, assume you would might have to bring the same proof to show at the POE that any fiancee would have to bring ... your ties to Canada.

You might want to consider delaying your move until you become a US Citizen. You are eligible for that 2 years and 9 months after becoming a [C]PR.

Rita