Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back: An online diary!

Moving back: An online diary!

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back: An online diary!

Originally Posted by texastoast
There's a thought! Funny thing, though...
When I did my research, the government website specifically said that electoral rolls weren't updated in October or November.
Yet here I am, already registered! Strange... but good!
We joined the electoral role in May 2016 and in June voted in the referendum.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 5:22 am
Just Joined

texastoast is an unknown quantity at this point

17th September: UPDATE!

Not really much to update. Everything so far is going as planned and without a hitch.
My new provisional driver's license has arrived along with my new UK mobile SIM card.

I sold my car for over four thousand quid and the money has been transferred back to the UK.
Have 'borrowed' a friend's car for the next few weeks so I can get to work and back, etc.

Sold the contents of my house for a thousand quid! They have already started shifting some of the stuff out.
(It's worth a lot more, but frankly, I'm just glad that it's one less worry.)

I have already booked an appointment with Barclay's Bank to open an account in my name.
I'm seeing someone on the 6th of November, in the morning.

I'm in talks to sell my house. It will be interesting to see how those progress.
Frankly, I don't mind if nothing comes of that. Just happy to let the bank have it back.

On a personal note, the time is now starting to drag.
Still 48 days to go and they are going rather slowly.
Even though I'm being paid for October, the schools are on holiday for most of that month.
I'll take that opportunity to say some personal goodbyes to friends and places.

I miss my car, though. It's very strange - after ten years - to see a different car parked in the garage!
Old Oct 20th 2019, 5:02 am
Just Joined

20th October UPDATE!

It's been over a month since my last post and here's what's happened...
Well, not much!

The good news is that I have a car and a job waiting for me when I get home.
The car was easy but the job was more work as the economy on the Isle of Wight dips during the winter months!
So I'll be hitting the ground running!

I made a mistake by agreeing to work this last month. I should have left at the end of October, NOT November.
The school is out till the end of the month and they kindly agreed to pay me even though they didn't have to.
But it's been a boring month for me and I just want to get back home and get my new life up and running.
But the extra months' salary is nice, despite much of it going on one more mortgage payment, some utility bills and the lease of a car for another month!

The house is sold!
YAY! I didn't make much money from the sale and I'm passing on any extra cash along to my ex-girlfriend who has been very cool to me for the last ten years.

My brother is picking up my new car.
I'll either keep it and spend a small fortune getting it clean and perfect, or sell it on and buy something that is already clean and perfect!
I have a feeling that this one is a keeper, though.
I'll post some pics and details when I get home next month.

My start date for work isn't nailed down and I still have to have a 'live' interview with my new employers to iron out the details.
As things are confirmed I'll post a few details about that, too.
But, if it works out, I'll have a pretty sweet job for life... or until I retire!
I have enclosed a copy of the letter of introduction that I wrote.
It's important because it's this that seems to have caught my employer's attention and clinched the deal for me.
(It may be of use to others who are in a similar situation to me, too.
I've deleted some details and made up some names!)

Old Oct 20th 2019, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

I have a car!
500 quid and a real beauty, too.
2005 Renault 1.6 Automatic Megane!

Old Oct 21st 2019, 1:30 am
Just Joined

cretina84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its been interesting reading your posts. I have been thinking about moving back to the uk for a while now and found plenty of useful info in the posts. Thank you.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 1:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thank you for thinking to update. I do read this .
Old Oct 22nd 2019, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

There are many things you can do online, which makes it easier to get ready for the move...
Buying car insurance isn't one of them!
I suppose I could use a VPN...

Old Oct 28th 2019, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

28th October UPDATE!

With less than a week to go before the move home, I find myself worrying over nothing!
In the back of my mind, I am certain that everything will unfold as I have planned it and even if it doesn't, it's not the end of the world and I can adjust to make changes on the fly to fix things...

...nevertheless, I have a mild 'fear' of the unknown!

Even if you are well organized and diligent, there's always something that you haven't thought of or something that will stand in your way!
My brother has been a great help, but I'm sure his goodwill will start to wear thin soon! LOL

It's sad to be doing things for the last time. I'm a creature of habit so I go to the same places for the same reasons.
Today I went to my lovely Thai barber for the last time.
She's been cutting my hair for almost ten years... but today was the last time.
I didn't tell her, and I'm sure she wouldn't care either way, but it's been one of those little rituals that I have enjoyed for a long time.

Less than a week to go now!

The car is now taxed and insured and waiting for me to drive away... both jobs were done online.

Last edited by texastoast; Oct 28th 2019 at 2:17 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 1:37 am
Cruising through BE

LARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond reputeLARAHTX has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck!! It’s been interesting to read this!

Texan that will be relocating to Bham soon I hope!
Old Oct 31st 2019, 3:35 am
Just Joined

31st October UPDATE!

Today was my last drive to work. Sadness at leaving.
My employers have been awesome and we'll stay in touch after I have left Thailand.

I'm in the process of applying for a small flat on the seafront of Totland, on the Isle of Wight.
We'll see how that goes. I will view it when I get back. (495 PCM)
It's just 5 miles from where I will likely working, so that's a plus for me.

Flat

Old Oct 31st 2019, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=texastoast;12756818]31st October UPDATE!

Today was my last drive to work. Sadness at leaving.
My employers have been awesome and we'll stay in touch after I have left Thailand.

I'm in the process of applying for a small flat on the seafront of Totland, on the Isle of Wight.
We'll see how that goes. I will view it when I get back. (495 PCM)
It's just 5 miles from where I will likely working, so that's a plus for me.

Flat[/QUOTE
What a fabulous looking place! Best of luck.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 6:27 am
Just Joined

What a fabulous looking place! Best of luck.
I'm almost certain that it's one of those Island winter lets... but that's OK. It will give me a few months to find a place more permanent!