Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back need finance advice

Moving back need finance advice

Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:40 am
Just Joined

pennyjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bromleygirl
I know what you mean about the weather but in my case I am tired of the snow!! It is very cold and snows a lot for 6-7 months of the year in Minnesota.

I'm moving back to Cambridge as it is as you say a great place to live, cultural, historical, lots of good shops - many that you would see in London and lots of job opportunities plus I spent a couple of years living in the Cambridge area before moving to the States.

I'm getting divorced and could stay here in the States as I do have U.S. citizenship but when you weigh up longer working hours, less annual leave and no universal healthcare it makes you appreciate the UK more. Plus my children will be able to grow up in the UK and have the benefit of the education system which is far better than the U.S.

My daughter is 5 and my son is 3 so I decided that if I was going to make the move then it had to be now really.

My divorce should be final soon and I already have a good job offer lined up so it's just a case of getting over there and situated.

I have a second cousin who is moving to Canada in July and he can't understand why I want to leave America. I said give it a couple of years and you will realise!!
I am moving to Cambridgeshire in September, where I have a job offer. I've been in Canada for the last 20 years. As I have started to look at rental accomodation it looks very expensive - what has your experience been?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

It's nice to know there will be another ex-pat in Cambridge

I've been looking on-line for rental propertie also and I think if you are looking for places in the city then it is expensive however my cousins said that places are a little cheaper in the villages just outside and they are correct.

I'm looking at south cambrdigeshire villages so I will be closer to the science park where I will be working. I'll be moving mid August but don't start working til September.

What area of Cambridge will you be working in and why have you decided to leave Canada?
Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

pennyjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bromleygirl
It's nice to know there will be another ex-pat in Cambridge

I've been looking on-line for rental propertie also and I think if you are looking for places in the city then it is expensive however my cousins said that places are a little cheaper in the villages just outside and they are correct.

I'm looking at south cambrdigeshire villages so I will be closer to the science park where I will be working. I'll be moving mid August but don't start working til September.

What area of Cambridge will you be working in and why have you decided to leave Canada?
I'll be based in Cambridge but covering South Cambridgeshire - doing social work-child protection. UK seems to be recruiting everywhere for social workers and interviewed this time in Toronto. Five others are coming also- not ex-pats, but from Canada and the States.

I guess that I've never stopped longing for England (though things must have changed so very much in 20 years)- the settlement patterns of villages and towns - where everything is not established aroung highways - the oddness and uniqueness of things - not the same store in every town - the humour, the tele, the greeness - the rain - the use of words - even eel, pie and mash shops (we had them in London, where I grew up, maybe extinct now?).

Well my youngest child has just finished high school here in Ontario and so it's a perfect time for a change and she will come with me and travel some.