Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back home to UK from New Zealand

Moving back home to UK from New Zealand

Old Oct 31st 2018, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Freelancewriter is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving back home to UK from New Zealand

I moved to NZ from England in the late '80s. I am now thinking I would like to live back in the UK but obviously its a big move. Mainly the financial side of things, i.e. the pension and National Health (I still have my NH card). From what I gather going on the UK pension site it seems the pension is only $127 a week for a single person. Is that right? It doesn't seem enough to live on. Will I still be on the books for National Health - are prescriptions free? How much is it to see a doctor? I am really out of touch. What is the cost of living at the moment in the UK/
I would like to move to the Isle of Wight, 2 bed house or apartment (I will be bringing my small dog with me). It seems a daunting task but I did move here to NZ and that was a big move. We had two containers full to the brim and a cat and dog at the time.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back home to UK from New Zealand

You will be eligible for the National Health Service as soon as you arrive in the UK if you are British Citizens. You only need to register with a doctor in your area.

With regard a State Pension, that is somewhat more complicated. It is now based on your contributions. As you have been in NZ for 30 odd years, I presume you have paid in little or nothing to the system? You are likely to be eligible for far less than the amount you quote. If I was you I would contact the National Pensions Board to find out what you might be entitled to. The website below gives details of how to contact them:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...n-uk-residents

What about your pension from NZ?

The uk State pension is meant to supplement your own private savings/investment for old age.

Cost of living I can't really help you with not knowing your ultimate circumstances; you could Google Rental properties Isle of Wight to get a good idea of how much you would need to pay for a 2 bedroom apartment.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Oct 31st 2018 at 8:59 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 12:11 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The basic State Pension is £125.95 a week although you can get other benefits to top up your income depending on your circumstances. As mentioned your State Pension will be dependent on your National Insurance contributions or lack there of.

There’s a flat rate of £8.80 to pay for a prescription in England. It can be free if you are in receipt of certain benefits. It’s free to see your GP. Check Rightmove for rental prices on the Isle of Wight. A site like Numbeo allows you to compare the living costs of where you live now and where you like to move to.
Old Nov 1st 2018, 7:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The basic State Pension is £125.95 a week although you can get other benefits to top up your income depending on your circumstances. As mentioned your State Pension will be dependent on your National Insurance contributions or lack there of.

There’s a flat rate of £8.80 to pay for a prescription in England. It can be free if you are in receipt of certain benefits. It’s free to see your GP. Check Rightmove for rental prices on the Isle of Wight. A site like Numbeo allows you to compare the living costs of where you live now and where you like to move to.
Prescriptions are free in England from the age of 60. A young'un like you wouldn't need to know that
Old Nov 1st 2018, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Prescriptions are free in England from the age of 60. A young'un like you wouldn't need to know that
Also for certain medical conditions regardless of age. Or there is a monthly plan you can join so you don't pay above a fixed amount.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Moving back home to UK from New Zealand

Originally Posted by Freelancewriter
I moved to NZ from England in the late '80s. I am now thinking I would like to live back in the UK but obviously its a big move. Mainly the financial side of things, i.e. the pension and National Health (I still have my NH card). From what I gather going on the UK pension site it seems the pension is only $127 a week for a single person. Is that right? It doesn't seem enough to live on. Will I still be on the books for National Health - are prescriptions free? How much is it to see a doctor? I am really out of touch. What is the cost of living at the moment in the UK/
I would like to move to the Isle of Wight, 2 bed house or apartment (I will be bringing my small dog with me). It seems a daunting task but I did move here to NZ and that was a big move. We had two containers full to the brim and a cat and dog at the time.
Thanks, guys, for your help. I worked in England before I left for about 9yrs, then went to Belgium where I worked as an editor for 4yrs, then back to UK with my son. After that I moved to NZ and worked in NZ but time off to have my daughter. I now work as a freelance writer. I will check out everything I need to know before making my mind up, obviously finances play a big part in making a big move. I just wandered what the average cost of living what when you have a 2bed home. There would be a council tax, wouldn't there, and I see you still pay a TV licence, and of course amenities. I couldn't afford to go back to where I came from down south, but thought the Isle of Wight is the next best thing - either that or moving up north to where its freezing in winter - coming from NZ, even though winters are cold and getting much colder, it isn't like being in England in the middle of winter - I remember it so well.
Old Nov 2nd 2018, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

From what I gather going on the UK pension site it seems the pension is only $127 a week for a single person. Is that right? It doesn't seem enough to live on.
There are other factors to consider in NZ I believe you will taxed on Super and therefore will be taxed at 17.5% on every dollar earned under $48k. In the UK there are tax allowances that mean you don't pay any tax on the first 11,850 pounds of income.

My mum is a single person living on state pension and she seems to manage very well and does not seem to go without; shes always off out some place or another entertaining herself, going for coffee, regular weekend breaks and holidays and such like.

Pop over to the NZ forum as well, we have lots of conversations about difference in cost of living. Most of us Brits find the cost of living higher in NZ and lament the availability of cheap food, travel, public transport and such like. With local markets and more choice and competition in supermarkets we find that food is much less expensive in UK (no GST on basic stuff) means you can certainly eat more cheaply in UK, you don't have to pay for doctors visits at all. I don't know for sure but think there may be some relief from Council Tax for pensioners and single people.

I would recommend that you pay a visit tot the UK before making any big decisions. Isle of Wight is lovely and would be not too much of a contrast to NZ, depending of course on where in NZ you are will make a big difference in how you will perceive or tolerate the weather and temperature differences. South Island to Isle of Wight for example wouldn't be much different weatherwise and may even be an improvement; take a visit during cooler months to assess the difference in weather. Generally there's not that much difference between here and there in Spring & Autumn and UK houses are better equipped to cope with cold.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 1:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
There are other factors to consider in NZ I believe you will taxed on Super and therefore will be taxed at 17.5% on every dollar earned under $48k. In the UK there are tax allowances that mean you don't pay any tax on the first 11,850 pounds of income.

My mum is a single person living on state pension and she seems to manage very well and does not seem to go without; shes always off out some place or another entertaining herself, going for coffee, regular weekend breaks and holidays and such like.

Pop over to the NZ forum as well, we have lots of conversations about difference in cost of living. Most of us Brits find the cost of living higher in NZ and lament the availability of cheap food, travel, public transport and such like. With local markets and more choice and competition in supermarkets we find that food is much less expensive in UK (no GST on basic stuff) means you can certainly eat more cheaply in UK, you don't have to pay for doctors visits at all. I don't know for sure but think there may be some relief from Council Tax for pensioners and single people.

I would recommend that you pay a visit tot the UK before making any big decisions. Isle of Wight is lovely and would be not too much of a contrast to NZ, depending of course on where in NZ you are will make a big difference in how you will perceive or tolerate the weather and temperature differences. South Island to Isle of Wight for example wouldn't be much different weatherwise and may even be an improvement; take a visit during cooler months to assess the difference in weather. Generally there's not that much difference between here and there in Spring & Autumn and UK houses are better equipped to cope with cold.
I went back to England about 2yrs ago - the weather was a bit iffy - it was in July, but some days were glorious. I have also been in England in March and yes, it was so very cold, I couldn't get warm, 5 layers and still cold - but you adapt. I live in the North Island of NZ and its much warmer there, where I am we don't have snow - we have quite severe frosts in the morning but no snow. Do all houses in the UK have central heating? And you are right, food is expensive here - it has to come from various countries - as do other products - hence the prices, also fuel is now getting very expensive. What I miss here is the transport - the many buses, the trains. Easy to get anywhere in the UK but not here, you do have to have a car and be prepared to drive long distances. You've made me feel a little more easier - glad your mum's managing well on her pension. Its a new thing for me so its all about adapting. I'm checking out pensions and NZ pensions with the authority in England, see what they say. I've been checking on housing online in Isle of Wight - seems you can get somewhere cheap but they are on campsites and you can only stay in them 11months of the year - seems weird, you buy them but you have to vacate for a month. Why is that, does anyone know? I was in the Isle of Wight 2yrs ago and loved it. I would really like to be near the sea with lots of walks for myself and my dog, plus not too far from where its all happening. I also realise I would have to sell up here and move to the UK and then look around for somewhere to live. What looks good online may not be the case when seen up close.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:34 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I went back to England about 2yrs ago - the weather was a bit iffy - it was in July, but some days were glorious. I have also been in England in March and yes, it was so very cold, I couldn't get warm, 5 layers and still cold - but you adapt. I live in the North Island of NZ and its much warmer there, where I am we don't have snow - we have quite severe frosts in the morning but no snow. Do all houses in the UK have central heating? And you are right, food is expensive here - it has to come from various countries - as do other products - hence the prices, also fuel is now getting very expensive. What I miss here is the transport - the many buses, the trains. Easy to get anywhere in the UK but not here, you do have to have a car and be prepared to drive long distances. You've made me feel a little more easier - glad your mum's managing well on her pension. Its a new thing for me so its all about adapting. I'm checking out pensions and NZ pensions with the authority in England, see what they say. I've been checking on housing online in Isle of Wight - seems you can get somewhere cheap but they are on campsites and you can only stay in them 11months of the year - seems weird, you buy them but you have to vacate for a month. Why is that, does anyone know? I was in the Isle of Wight 2yrs ago and loved it. I would really like to be near the sea with lots of walks for myself and my dog, plus not too far from where its all happening. I also realise I would have to sell up here and move to the UK and then look around for somewhere to live. What looks good online may not be the case when seen up close.
Isle of Wight is a good choice - the house prices and rents are suppressed due to the limited employment opportunities and the relatively expensive ferry/hover to the mainland, but if you are retired it's a nice place.

Yes - caravan parks are often only permitted as holiday parks and not resident parks, so you can't live there 12 months a year. Also be aware that holiday-type caravans never used to be as well insulated as permanent living ones.

As others have pointed-out, you won't get the full state pension as you will not have paid-in 35 years. I seem to remember there is a UK state pension calculator online somewhere. The state pension people can give you a statement of where you are.

I would expect your Kiwi state pension will be pretty important if that is where you have paid most contributions.

What about company pensions - did you have any in the UK/Belgium/NZ?

Council tax is 25% discount for single person.

Pretty much all houses will have central heating these days.

Note if you want to rent a place you will likely have to cough-up 6 months rent plus deposit in advance - this is because you will have no credit history in the UK.

Good luck with the move.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I've been checking on housing online in Isle of Wight - seems you can get somewhere cheap but they are on campsites and you can only stay in them 11months of the year - seems weird, you buy them but you have to vacate for a month. Why is that, does anyone know?
Those 'Park Homes' type arrangements come come under the Mobile Homes Act and camp sites are not allowed to be used as permanent residence, hence the rules around having to vacate for certain periods are just a technicality to overcome that. Many people get around this by going on cheap holidays to sunnier climes for extended period in winter. Whilst you may 'own' the caravan or chalet but must pay a pitch fee and other costs to the site owner and may find that you have very little control over what you can do with the property. You need to read up on the rules in general and for individual sites; there's lots of regulations and clauses about maintenance, how you buy and sell the property etc. the site owners can insist on the 'homes' being of certain age and standard and can order old static caravans off site if they start looking old and shabby.

I would suggest such living arrangement would maybe okay whilst you are fit and healthy but not ideal in older age.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

See this thread on NZ forum: I believe reciprocal arrangements mean that years in NZ would count towards UK pension

Uk State Pension to NZ State Pension
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:46 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

See this thread on NZ forum: I believe reciprocal arrangements mean that years in NZ would count towards UK pension

Uk State Pension to NZ State Pension
Very interesting.
Old Nov 4th 2018, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Moving back home to UK from New Zealand

[QUOTE=Bo-Jangles;12587461]See this thread on NZ forum: I believe reciprocal arrangements mean that years in NZ would count towards UK pension

Thank you, that's very helpful. I've been in NZ about 20 odd years so that helps
Old Nov 4th 2018, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Those 'Park Homes' type arrangements come come under the Mobile Homes Act and camp sites are not allowed to be used as permanent residence, hence the rules around having to vacate for certain periods are just a technicality to overcome that. Many people get around this by going on cheap holidays to sunnier climes for extended period in winter. Whilst you may 'own' the caravan or chalet but must pay a pitch fee and other costs to the site owner and may find that you have very little control over what you can do with the property. You need to read up on the rules in general and for individual sites; there's lots of regulations and clauses about maintenance, how you buy and sell the property etc. the site owners can insist on the 'homes' being of certain age and standard and can order old static caravans off site if they start looking old and shabby.

I would suggest such living arrangement would maybe okay whilst you are fit and healthy but not ideal in older age.

Thank you for that information, that helps to ignore that possibility I really want a 2 bed home and a small courtyard, that's what I am aiming for.
Old Nov 9th 2018, 2:09 am
Just Joined

wordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond reputewordsmith65 has a reputation beyond repute

We are about to do the same and despite some VERY negative feedback...we see it as an adventure. We too are moving with 2 dogs, have sold the house and will be in Lancashire in March ready for our new life...by all means do as much investigation as possible but be clear about the info you seek, its easier to get bogged down with the fear factor and oooohhh Brexit and ooohh the sky is falling, blah, blah, blah. Honestly you are the only person who controls what you can and can't do, so our advice is jump on in and enjoy the adventure !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.