Reload this Page >

Moving back home with my son

Moving back home with my son

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

littlecaroline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back home with my son

Hello!
I've been living in Canada as a Permanent Resident for 10 years now and am considering moving back home. I am now a single mum to a three year old and don't have much in the way of support here. My son's father who is Canadian told me last year that if I felt like it would be best for my son and I to move back home, then he would have no problem signing him over to me and giving me permission. It has been a huge struggle trying to make this decision as there are so many factors to consider. Right now I have come to the conclusion that it would be best for the both of us to move back home where I have a lot more help and support. My son doesn't have much family here; his grandparents are moving 5 hours away, his extended family live 3 hours away, and it has been over a year of constant fighting to get his dad to see him on a regular basis.
Considering I have been away for so long, there are a lot of things to consider that, try as I might, can't get an answer to. I was hoping someone here could help me by answering some questions.

I am a British Citizen born in the UK so my son will technically be British by descent. I understand that I can get him a British passport, but do I need to register him as a British Citizen when we move back?

Having been away for so long, what are the implications on National Insurance contributions? Will I have to catch up right away? How does that work?

Is there anything else that I need to consider that I haven't thought about?

Thank you!

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back home with my son

You just get him a British passport.

You need a formal letter/court order to take your son out of Canada.

Presume you have accommodation set up and once in the UK and in a job your NIC will start again. Obviously you'll need to register with a GP, get a bank account etc etc
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 10:20 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't already, I would suggest getting Canadian citizenship for yourself before you go. It's always best to have the same citizenship as your children. And you never know what the future will hold - he may decide to move to Canada at some point and it would be easier for you if you could return if you wanted to. I realise that it will add time to your wait to get home, but citizenship is forever.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 8:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you haven't already, I would suggest getting Canadian citizenship for yourself before you go. It's always best to have the same citizenship as your children. And you never know what the future will hold - he may decide to move to Canada at some point and it would be easier for you if you could return if you wanted to. I realise that it will add time to your wait to get home, but citizenship is forever.
+1.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Elnino05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
+1.
Hi Christmasoompa,

i know you posted on another thread line that you were back in England. I am in a dilemma. Moved almost 3 years ago. But I know Canada is not for me. I am struggling daily. I have lost myself. I have 2 kids 9 and 4 and dead worried if they would fit back into the sch system, my 1st is very academic but I find out she has slowed down. The second is yet to start K. Do you think they would fit? I beat myself everyday for this decision. I am just waiting on citizenship . Sometimes I just feel like walking away.
Old Feb 1st 2019, 11:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elnino05

Hi Christmasoompa,

i know you posted on another thread line that you were back in England. I am in a dilemma. Moved almost 3 years ago. But I know Canada is not for me. I am struggling daily. I have lost myself. I have 2 kids 9 and 4 and dead worried if they would fit back into the sch system, my 1st is very academic but I find out she has slowed down. The second is yet to start K. Do you think they would fit? I beat myself everyday for this decision. I am just waiting on citizenship . Sometimes I just feel like walking away.
Might be better to PM me about this rather than taking the OP's thread off topic. But yes, I think they'd be fine. You may find that your 9 year old is behind a bit, but would soon catch up if she's academically able. I would strongly suggest you do get citizenship before you return to give yourself the option.

Good luck.