Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to claim benefits

Moving back to claim benefits

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There are people who go into nursing homes in the UK and don't pay anything...apart from their pension.
They are normally the ones who have never done a days work in their life as opposed to the ones who have worked all their life and saved to buy a house only to see it taken away to pay for the care. (except in Scotland, of course, where the British taxpayer funds everything)
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
They are normally the ones who have never done a days work in their life as opposed to the ones who have worked all their life and saved to buy a house only to see it taken away to pay for the care. (except in Scotland, of course, where the British taxpayer funds everything)
That is not true...I know people who have worked most of their lives and who have lived in council housing and spent their last years in a nursing home. Some people of my parents generation have never been able to get well paid jobs. They were brought up to be proud, never expected or got anything for nothing, never got into debt, worked most of their lives doing blue collar work...not everyone who receives gov. benefits are scroungers.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

That is not true...I know people who have worked most of their lives and who have lived in council housing and spent their last years in a nursing home. Some people of my parents generation have never been able to get well paid jobs. They were brought up to be proud, never expected or got anything for nothing, never got into debt, worked most of their lives doing blue collar work...not everyone who receives gov. benefits are scroungers.
Anyone who lived in a council house has had a good subsidy from the Ratepayer and then had the opportunity to buy at a massive discount, i.e. something for nothing. What has not being able to get a well paid job got to do with anything, why should that be a meal ticket to a free care home place.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:47 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Moving back to claim benefits

There are people who go into nursing homes in the UK and don't pay anything...apart from their pension.
There are many people in the US too that are in nursing homes, only on SS. There are loopholes; you give your assets to yr children 3 years ahead of time, then you can go in a nursing home on Medicaid. That's how the majority are in nursing homes here. Same thing in UK, you've got to get rid of your assets. Lots of peeps are finding that out in UK. The UK and US used to turn a blind eye - but now there are so many potential nursing home patients that there is not enough money in the government coffers to pay for it all. Better start saving up.

My MIL was in a nursing home, so we found out about the rules.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
There are many people in the US too that are in nursing homes, only on SS. There are loopholes; you give your assets to yr children 3 years ahead of time, then you can go in a nursing home on Medicaid. That's how the majority are in nursing homes here. Same thing in UK, you've got to get rid of your assets. Lots of peeps are finding that out in UK. The UK and US used to turn a blind eye - but now there are so many potential nursing home patients that there is not enough money in the government coffers to pay for it all. Better start saving up.

My MIL was in a nursing home, so we found out about the rules.
I don't need to start saving thank you very much.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Anyone who lived in a council house has had a good subsidy from the Ratepayer and then had the opportunity to buy at a massive discount, i.e. something for nothing. What has not being able to get a well paid job got to do with anything, why should that be a meal ticket to a free care home place.
You're all heart.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
oops didn't mean to offend! How can it be insulting to say if you want to have kids you should be able to support them yourself rather than rely on benefits? Many many people provide for themselves and do not rely on benefits.

oops again, 18 years in local government as a Senior Officer, after college and university...mmm policy making a strong point...never mind you don't know me.

It's just personal opinion dear....don't take offence, perhaps just an old fashioned view point of the state helping the needy not the greedy!
It's a shame you've left as I would love to discuss how your, no doubt, final pension schemes is one of the tax payers burdens which, I am sure you would agree, would be better going to the needy not the greedy.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:32 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bupacarehomes.co.uk/asp/guidance/paying.asp
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:19 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it most certainly is one of the contributing factors of why we left the UK...I fully agree and support a benefits system for those that need benefits but I don't consider people who can up sticks pay the huge fees involved in migration, visas, medicals, shipping etc...to be amongst the most needy, if they are returning broke...tough...should of spent more wisely.

For people to say I am going back to the UK what benefits will I get and will I get a council house is insulting, those that have been on the list for 2 years should get a higher priority, if their dream life has gone tits up why should the UK tax payer have to help them get back on their feet?
Life is not as black and white as you would have us believe. And people (unlike what you would have us believe) do not find themselves in poor financial shape due simply to their own financial mismanagement. Life sometimes just kicks us one in the arse, speaking of which, I hope your turn comes soon
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Life is not as black and white as you would have us believe. And people (unlike what you would have us believe) do not find themselves in poor financial shape due simply to their own financial mismanagement. Life sometimes just kicks us one in the arse, speaking of which, I hope your turn comes soon
I take it your opinion is the right opinion and no one else is allowed one...wishing someone bad luck is a truly evil thing to do...must reflect your nature!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:44 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

I take it your opinion is the right opinion and no one else is allowed one...wishing someone bad luck is a truly evil thing to do...must reflect your nature!
Sadly, many only ever open their eyes and ears once they have received a good dose of adversity. I have had more than my share and while not pleasant, I can see how it has made me a better person. Infact some religions/philosophies believe it is hard to spiritually progress without suffering.

Last edited by kiwi_child; Mar 22nd 2007 at 4:48 am. Reason: incorrect wording
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:45 am
Jedi Princess

Sadly, many only ever open their eyes and ears once they have received a good dose of adversity. I have had more than my share and while not pleasant, I can see how it has made me a better person. Infact some religions/philosophies believe it is hard to spiritually progress without suffering.
So really, I am wishing you spiritual growth and development

Last edited by kiwi_child; Mar 22nd 2007 at 4:49 am. Reason: incorrect wording
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

So really, I am wishing you spiritual growth and development
You know absolutely nothing about me and have chosen to attack me because I have an opinion...you can reword it as much as you like but wishing a person bad luck shows that you are the person needing spiritual growth and development. Your adversity seems to have made you bitter not given you what you are preaching.

I have no problem with others having an opinion and no matter how much they disagree with my own beliefs would never stoop so low as to wish a fellow human being bad luck.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:41 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

You know absolutely nothing about me and have chosen to attack me because I have an opinion...you can reword it as much as you like but wishing a person bad luck shows that you are the person needing spiritual growth and development. Your adversity seems to have made you bitter not given you what you are preaching.

I have no problem with others having an opinion and no matter how much they disagree with my own beliefs would never stoop so low as to wish a fellow human being bad luck.
You are not allowed to have an opinion on here. Didn't you know that ? Anyone who has done more than one post as a newbie usually has that explained to them.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 7:45 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Is that you Haggerwood?
No this individual is not Haggerwood. There is only one Haggerwood and I am hanging around at Bucharest airport right now waiting for a flight to Hungary.
I would never stoop to the level of some by having multiple user names and I certainly wouldn't use such a scouse shellsuit wearing name as Phil if I did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.