Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to claim benefits

Moving back to claim benefits

Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by susiq
as a single parent who is moving back in 2 years i am a little shocked to see this post. i moved to france with my family when my relationship fell apart so i didn't have to go down that route. i had worked 2 jobs from the age of 18 until i left. 2 days a week i worked 18/19 hour days, so yes i know how hard to work. but as i was on low income i still struggled in support myself, and this was before i had my son.

i presume you haven't looked into the costs of child care in england, and how flaming scary it is. places i looked at were £130 per week. my main job i only eant £210 per week, dosen't leave a lot of money spare for rent and essentials like eating does it??

i will be clamining benifits when i get back, but i also will be working p/t and going to uni to train to be a teacher, so again puttoing back into the comunity.

don't be so judgmental as i'm sure there are people that are just clamining to be lazy and taking other peoples hard earned cash where it could be spend else where, but there are also a lot (i add i'm sure the majority) of us that need it to start us to get a futuer for ourselves so we can also help our children make it.

i feel in a very lucky posission as i don't think i will need to claim straight away as i will be coming back with a little money in my pocket and don't want ot claim unless i absolutly have to.

sorry a little of a rant just don't thin you can judge a book by its cover,

susi
Hi Susi,
I certainly haven't meant to judge anyone...just start a discussion and it worked. As for your situation you are exactly what I am not talking about...you are considering what your options are, you are taking money back with you and you are planning on working....not everyone is, and as a single parent that is admirable.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by loopylorns
Originally Posted by phil01
You are entitled to your opinion but I am quite sure that quite a few will have my opinion also, no need to get so personal.

If people are fit and able to work then they should work, if they choose to have a family they should be able to support that family so that the income generated from the tax payer can fund the much more deserving such as teminally ill cancer patients who can't get treatment because the NHS can't afford it...parents can choose to have children and can choose to either be stay at home or go to work parents...cancer suferers have no choice.

My attitude is not nasty or patronising or snobbish...I just believe that there are greater causes for the tax payer to foot the bill other than those that can't be bothered or choose not to work. If you feel that parents who choose to have kids then choose to stay at home deserve the money more than those left with no choice such as cancer patients then maybe it is you who should be re-evalute your value system!

You are missing the whole point on why MOST (not all) even ask about benefits in the first place.

Most people are not looking to be a bludger, they are in a situation where they need to return (being fired on H1b visa, partners leaving them etc)
and all they are asking for is a little bit of advice and help to sort the mess they find themselves in out.

Most of these people will get back and find work and support themselves but for the immediate moment they need to know they can feed their kids.

This has nothing to do with choosing to be a stay at home mum or choosing to have kids.

I have 4 kids am here on an H1b visa (husbands) and if he goes into work in the morning and is sacked I have to leave the USA no choice and yes I am gonna want to know just how I am going to feed my kids untill my husband finds a new job.

Like I said before your post is putting every-one into a bludging, scrounging basket and to be honest NO ONE on here has the right to judge otherv peoples circumstances, even more so without knowing the facts.

This forum is supposed to be to help each other with facts and advice not condone for no reason.
I'm not putting anyone into a basket...surely that can't be legal...would they all fit...must be small people to fit into the basket I am picturing! Oh I said the word small is that politically correct?

I started a debate you decided I was categorising people and which category in your mind you fit into.

My opinion will not change in that the benefits system is there to provide support to the needy not the greedy and in my personal opinion if you have kids you support them, you are a two parent family and if your hubby is getting sacked is that the British Tax Payers fault as well? If you suddenly lose your job find another one, if your husband loses his job find another one
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deedee13
the babies born today are the tax payers of tomorrow....... and if they need or are entitiled to benefits go for it. They will be paying for my old peoples home eventually. I need to help them
Thats the problem...so many of them aren't they are the can't be bothered to go to work tomorrow generation, hence the elderly are suffering now, the NHS is suffering now, people in desperate need who have no choice in their situations are suffering now because the benefit system is being drained by people who could do with that little bit extra!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

sharonbrit is just really nicesharonbrit is just really nicesharonbrit is just really nicesharonbrit is just really nicesharonbrit is just really nicesharonbrit is just really nicesharonbrit is just really nicesharonbrit is just really nice

Philo:

I don't think about going back becasue I want to sponge, no matter where I am in the world I pay taxes and contrube to a commiunty. before I left the UK I never claimed benefits in my life and always had a job and paid more into the NI. To think that is the first thing on my mind is insulting to all who are thinking or heading back to the UK, in fact expats probley get jobs and a higher level of jobs when they go back.

I am going back by the way becasue I want to, I have been homesick for alot of years and relazied that even though I have a great life something is missing and that is England, would I be sponging if I started a business back in England.

Cheers,

Sharon
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sharon, how could I possibly know what is on your mind...you read the thread and decided to contribute based on your own opinion, I haven't said that all expats going back are spongers ...that is merely your interpretation.

I know if I ever decided to go back I most definitely wouldn't class myself as a sponger, because I'm not.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not putting anyone into a basket...surely that can't be legal...would they all fit...must be small people to fit into the basket I am picturing! Oh I said the word small is that politically correct?

I started a debate you decided I was categorising people and which category in your mind you fit into.

My opinion will not change in that the benefits system is there to provide support to the needy not the greedy and in my personal opinion if you have kids you support them, you are a two parent family and if your hubby is getting sacked is that the British Tax Payers fault as well? If you suddenly lose your job find another one, if your husband loses his job find another one
Is the benefits system there to support the hungry kids?

This is what the basic reality is for SOME people will be in.

There is no reason your opinion should change but I dont see many other agreeing with you during this thread.

Yes if you have kids you should support them Im all for that and back in the Uk my husband travelled 3 hours each way to work to earn a decent wage, people who dont want to work full stop make me sick but I said it before and I will say again, most people only need benefits in the first month that they return, you can not find another job before leaving a country if your visa dictates you leave and you are sacked suddenly there is no time to so unless you are lucky enough to land a job a soon as you get back then benefits may well be the only way to feed your kids.

My husband works very hard to support his family in the manner he should and back in the Uk I worked too in the NHS (cant here due to visa) I had private medical cover, used a private dentist and paid for my childrens contact lenses unlike some.

My husband paid in the higher tier tax level and has done for years and we still own our house in the UK.

As for which category I put myself in?
I am in the middle/upperclass category, like you from humble beginings but I am not either judgemental or a snob.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the problem...so many of them aren't they are the can't be bothered to go to work tomorrow generation, hence the elderly are suffering now, the NHS is suffering now, people in desperate need who have no choice in their situations are suffering now because the benefit system is being drained by people who could do with that little bit extra!
The NHS is being drained because of fat cats not people on benefits.

Have you ever worked IN an NHS hospital ward?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

the babies born today are the tax payers of tomorrow....... and if they need or are entitiled to benefits go for it. They will be paying for my old peoples home eventually. I need to help them
The trouble is the kids see the parent(s) living for free by sponging off the taxpayer and they learn how to milk the system themselves. So don't expect hem to pay for your old people home, you can expect you old peoples home to be closed to pay for more spongers.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you're still in the US they won't. Do you have any idea how much it costs to live in a US nursing home Dee?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

On a similar but slightly different note. What does p*** me off living in the middle east is long term, or young expats, who have never or not for a very, very long time paid into the system expecting it to be there for them should the sh!t hit the fan health wise.

Mostly, these type of people bitch about the system, rattle on about tax free salaries etc etc, knowing (or thinking) that at the end of the day they can call in on their British citizenship and be taken care of. Drives me nuts.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
On a similar but slightly different note. What does p*** me off living in the middle east is long term, or young expats, who have never or not for a very, very long time paid into the system expecting it to be there for them should the sh!t hit the fan health wise.

Mostly, these type of people bitch about the system, rattle on about tax free salaries etc etc, knowing (or thinking) that at the end of the day they can call in on their British citizenship and be taken care of. Drives me nuts.
I agree. I know some people are seeing me as judgemental and a snob I'm not but yes that is another fairly common scenario...I'm sick, get back to the UK for healthcare...come on ladies shoot me down in flames again...
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I know some people are seeing me as judgemental and a snob I'm not but yes that is another fairly common scenario...I'm sick, get back to the UK for healthcare...come on ladies shoot me down in flames again...
I agree with some of what you've said. I must say I really wanted to delete the 'dear' out of your posts...it is such a condescending word to use in that context.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:21 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be bothered arguing with you. Your post history speaks volumes.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NedKelly
The trouble is the kids see the parent(s) living for free by sponging off the taxpayer and they learn how to milk the system themselves. So don't expect hem to pay for your old people home, you can expect you old peoples home to be closed to pay for more spongers.
Absolutely, spot on!!!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
Can't be bothered arguing with you. Your post history speaks volumes.
As does yours...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.