Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to claim benefits

Moving back to claim benefits

Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:53 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Not a lot, got to go down town later to claim my benefits.
Try and avoid the drug dealers and watch you don't get shot again.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:58 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Try and avoid the drug dealers and watch you don't get shot again.
I have a day off, I may go and watch a Telephone Box explode, it happens quite a lot, allegedly.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 8:04 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I have a day off, I may go and watch a Telephone Box explode, it happens quite a lot, allegedly.
Maybe you could indule in some happy slapping. Or are you too old for that?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:Yes it most certainly is one of the contributing factors of why we left the UK...I fully agree and support a benefits system for those that need benefits but I don't consider people who can up sticks pay the huge fees involved in migration, visas, medicals, shipping etc...to be amongst the most needy, if they are returning broke...tough...should of spent more wisely.

For people to say I am going back to the UK what benefits will I get and will I get a council house is insulting, those that have been on the list for 2 years should get a higher priority, if their dream life has gone tits up why should the UK tax payer have to help them get back on their feet?

This post is really putting every one into one bracket.

To say for people who have paid migration fees etc should have spent more wisely is rather ignorant.

There are people on this forum who (like Us) did not pay the money to "up sticks" but who have work visa and all associated costs of moving were paid for by the employer. (i would not be able to afford this).

These people have put their faith in the employer and in fact their wholse exsistence in the country they are living in-remember on an H1b visa if the job ends you have to leave the country.

Some people will find them selves in the position of HAVING to return with no choice and some will need benefits whilst they find alternative employment.

From what I can see people asking these benefit related questions have kids, this is their top concern-how will I feed my kids till I get back on my feet.

My husband has an H1b visa and we are looking to go home, this is our choice and moving back costs will be our responsability, for me housing is not a problem as I kept my house, and as I was a bank nurse I still have a valid contract (had to work at least every 6 months which I made sure I did) so at least We will have some money comming in.

But before you put every one into one basket please remember that on some visas people can find them selves out on their ar-e with no warning etc.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

loopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond reputeloopylorns has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
They could not have started their new lives abroad without a job or money so surely when coming back to the UK that must be a thought...oh have I actually got some money to survive the first few months, but it doesn't appear to be and to be fair if they could get a job for wherever whilst in the UK why can't they do that vice versa.

If I was looking to return to the UK my first thoughts would be to try and secure employment before going back, I certainly wouldn't be relying on benefits...not just because of not wanting to but because of the inevitable wait for them to be processed.

In my opinion people become too dependant on benefits and it's become a natural reaction...going back to the UK best get my claim in! Surely it would be better to say going back to the UK best get job hunting?

People come here with sponserships for employment!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are sourced from the Uk but can be fired and have to return with immediate effect.

Alot of people dont look to return-they have no choice.

your previous comment on not claiming benefit unless you became single parent and did not work or your husband deciding not to work is again lumping into one basket.

Lets just say your husband could not work through illness and you had to look after him-just what would you do then????

hmmmm whilst I understand the point of your original post ( badly worded) I do think you are rather judge mental on other peoples circumstances.

Think your self lucky you are not in the situation.

There for the God of grace go I.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I notice that no one has commented on all the threads on the Australia forum about how to claim Family benefts or rent allowance.

I suspect this thread was started simply to cause a row.

G
Old Mar 21st 2007, 1:05 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I have left the UK but pop into this forum just because I like too...not been gone that long...nearly a year. But one thing I have noticed on this forum is some people that are heading back to the UK want to know 'what will I get' before they have even stepped foot in the country let alone contributed towards it. It's one of the things that made me leave the UK don't other expats and in particular those of you going back to the UK get a bit fed up with people harping on about going back to the UK to claim benefits.

Before you ask I came from a single parent family but my mother worked 3 jobs a day to pay the bills, 2 cleaning jobs and a bar job! No not a great life for her but she had self respect and supported her 3 children through her own hard work. I am not saying everyone can do it but can't they at least be made to try?
We left the UK for a job so we would not have too claim benefits...if things go belly up here enough I will go home and if I need to make a claim for some kind of help I would...
Once you set foot back in the UK you start paying back something to the UK...be it in rent...heating lighting...buying food clothes...paying tax if only a small amount...I can't see a problem with returning Brits...its not like its easy to get benefits anyway...

Last edited by krizzy; Mar 21st 2007 at 1:09 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Molly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud ofMolly Malone has much to be proud of

You are entitled to your opinion but I am quite sure that quite a few will have my opinion also, no need to get so personal.

If people are fit and able to work then they should work, if they choose to have a family they should be able to support that family so that the income generated from the tax payer can fund the much more deserving such as teminally ill cancer patients who can't get treatment because the NHS can't afford it...parents can choose to have children and can choose to either be stay at home or go to work parents...cancer suferers have no choice.

My attitude is not nasty or patronising or snobbish...I just believe that there are greater causes for the tax payer to foot the bill other than those that can't be bothered or choose not to work. If you feel that parents who choose to have kids then choose to stay at home deserve the money more than those left with no choice such as cancer patients then maybe it is you who should be re-evalute your value system!

If you want to explore this topic any further, it has already been thoroughly argued a few months ago - very heated and controversial topic!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...aternity+leave

As far as I can tell from your post you have no problem with parents choosing to have children, but you seem to have problems with one parent staying home (and thus reducing household income) to raise the children. IMO if a parent chooses to stay home and raise the kids till school-age it can only benefit society in the long run - more especially if the family is already of a low socio-economic level. Who in the world would advocate a mother going off to work and leaving the kids at various daycares and not being able to bond with and teach the kids from the start? I hope that all makes sense - kids with no strong familial ties will have problems later on and perhaps become more of a burden on society through crime or gangs.

No offense of course meant to supermoms who can stay involved at home while working full-time jobs, but it's hard for the young pre-school age kids to be away from parents.

Last edited by Molly Malone; Mar 21st 2007 at 2:50 pm. Reason: Thought of more to add :)
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are entitled to your opinion but I am quite sure that quite a few will have my opinion also, no need to get so personal.

If people are fit and able to work then they should work, if they choose to have a family they should be able to support that family so that the income generated from the tax payer can fund the much more deserving such as teminally ill cancer patients who can't get treatment because the NHS can't afford it...parents can choose to have children and can choose to either be stay at home or go to work parents...cancer suferers have no choice.

My attitude is not nasty or patronising or snobbish...I just believe that there are greater causes for the tax payer to foot the bill other than those that can't be bothered or choose not to work. If you feel that parents who choose to have kids then choose to stay at home deserve the money more than those left with no choice such as cancer patients then maybe it is you who should be re-evalute your value system!

You are missing the whole point on why MOST (not all) even ask about benefits in the first place.

Most people are not looking to be a bludger, they are in a situation where they need to return (being fired on H1b visa, partners leaving them etc)
and all they are asking for is a little bit of advice and help to sort the mess they find themselves in out.

Most of these people will get back and find work and support themselves but for the immediate moment they need to know they can feed their kids.

This has nothing to do with choosing to be a stay at home mum or choosing to have kids.

I have 4 kids am here on an H1b visa (husbands) and if he goes into work in the morning and is sacked I have to leave the USA no choice and yes I am gonna want to know just how I am going to feed my kids untill my husband finds a new job.

Like I said before your post is putting every-one into a bludging, scrounging basket and to be honest NO ONE on here has the right to judge otherv peoples circumstances, even more so without knowing the facts.

This forum is supposed to be to help each other with facts and advice not condone for no reason.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond reputeLeeds_Lass has a reputation beyond repute

phil is a Troll and a good one at that. Trolls are best left to fester under their bridge in their own poo, whilst thinking about the next unwary traveller to eat.

Shoo, Troll, nothing for you here.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

susiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the roughsusiq is a jewel in the rough

I have left the UK but pop into this forum just because I like too...not been gone that long...nearly a year. But one thing I have noticed on this forum is some people that are heading back to the UK want to know 'what will I get' before they have even stepped foot in the country let alone contributed towards it. It's one of the things that made me leave the UK don't other expats and in particular those of you going back to the UK get a bit fed up with people harping on about going back to the UK to claim benefits.

Before you ask I came from a single parent family but my mother worked 3 jobs a day to pay the bills, 2 cleaning jobs and a bar job! No not a great life for her but she had self respect and supported her 3 children through her own hard work. I am not saying everyone can do it but can't they at least be made to try?
as a single parent who is moving back in 2 years i am a little shocked to see this post. i moved to france with my family when my relationship fell apart so i didn't have to go down that route. i had worked 2 jobs from the age of 18 until i left. 2 days a week i worked 18/19 hour days, so yes i know how hard to work. but as i was on low income i still struggled in support myself, and this was before i had my son.

i presume you haven't looked into the costs of child care in england, and how flaming scary it is. places i looked at were £130 per week. my main job i only eant £210 per week, dosen't leave a lot of money spare for rent and essentials like eating does it??

i will be clamining benifits when i get back, but i also will be working p/t and going to uni to train to be a teacher, so again puttoing back into the comunity.

don't be so judgmental as i'm sure there are people that are just clamining to be lazy and taking other peoples hard earned cash where it could be spend else where, but there are also a lot (i add i'm sure the majority) of us that need it to start us to get a futuer for ourselves so we can also help our children make it.

i feel in a very lucky posission as i don't think i will need to claim straight away as i will be coming back with a little money in my pocket and don't want ot claim unless i absolutly have to.

sorry a little of a rant just don't thin you can judge a book by its cover,

susi
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Leeds_Lass
phil is a Troll and a good one at that. Trolls are best left to fester under their bridge in their own poo, whilst thinking about the next unwary traveller to eat.

Oh yes I see what you mean Leeds_Lass.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:25 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

He maybe a troll...but he thinks like many other Brits...so the question is a good one...so really he is not that good a troll after all...
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

the babies born today are the tax payers of tomorrow....... and if they need or are entitiled to benefits go for it. They will be paying for my old peoples home eventually. I need to help them
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Leeds_Lass

I take it you don't agree with debate...just name calling...if you don't want to participate in an open discussion then don't but really...how childish....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.