Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to claim benefits

Moving back to claim benefits

Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by northernbird
Yes there are scroungers the world over. You are lumping a huge group of people into the scroungers pile. You were lucky enough when your partner was made redundant and was ill that you had enough money to cover it. If I was in that boat we wouldn't have enough to pay the bills even for a short while. Does that make me a greedy scrounger if I chose to claim benefit until my husband found another job so that I could feed and clothe my kids. I stand by my original opinion of you, I doubt very many people around this forum would have such a blinkered attitude. Back to reading your Daily Mail now.

Thanks GG for the support btw.
The Times darling! well actually the Sun if I could get it...I won't take offence eventhough you would clearly like me to, you can judge me all you like but I am sure there are many people that agree...the benefits system should support those in need and there are far greater needs out there than parents having made the choice to stay at home. I stand by my value system of feeling those without a choice have a far greater need. Tribute to all the pensioners that fought in the world wars and have spent their winters living in one room because their pensions are not liveable and they can't afford to heat their houses they again have no choice, parents do!
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You are such a selfish person. Why should someone else pay for you to bring up your kid. If you don't have the finances to fund a child you shouldn't have one. You are typical of the "It's my right and this is what I am entitled to brigade".
Here Here... at last someone that sees there are needier people than picky parents.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Being able to support children is a sliding scale. Just because my hubbie and I both currently have well paid jobs and could do without child benefit etc, doesn't mean we always will.

I'll take one of your crystal balls, thanks.

Not everyone has the IQ of Einstein or skills/abilities that command high salaries. Some people have to do manual work for a living, for example. Please explain how such people could afford children without a little help? Or do you think that they shouldn't have them?
Not at all, and a little help is fine...I am talking about the one's that don't work and don't contribute. My hubby is a trucker and works very hard for what he earns but if we don't have enough money to pay the bills he just works longer hours!

I started this thread because of other threads I read saying what can I get...they work where they are now (abroad) but seemed to have no concept of actually working when they returned to the UK, if you can work in Canada or Italy or Oz why can't you work in the UK?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:48 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
Not at all, and a little help is fine...I am talking about the one's that don't work and don't contribute. My hubby is a trucker and works very hard for what he earns but if we don't have enough money to pay the bills he just works longer hours!

I started this thread because of other threads I read saying what can I get...they work where they are now (abroad) but seemed to have no concept of actually working when they returned to the UK, if you can work in Canada or Italy or Oz why can't you work in the UK?
But they won't have a job immediately upon returning to the UK, hence the reason for the thread that you seem to have taken great offence at.

The majority of people will intend to find work. But what about the meantime?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

But they won't have a job immediately upon returning to the UK, hence the reason for the thread that you seem to have taken great offence at.

They could not have started their new lives abroad without a job or money so surely when coming back to the UK that must be a thought...oh have I actually got some money to survive the first few months, but it doesn't appear to be and to be fair if they could get a job for wherever whilst in the UK why can't they do that vice versa.

If I was looking to return to the UK my first thoughts would be to try and secure employment before going back, I certainly wouldn't be relying on benefits...not just because of not wanting to but because of the inevitable wait for them to be processed.

In my opinion people become too dependant on benefits and it's become a natural reaction...going back to the UK best get my claim in! Surely it would be better to say going back to the UK best get job hunting?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:57 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phil01
They could not have started their new lives abroad without a job or money so surely when coming back to the UK that must be a thought...oh have I actually got some money to survive the first few months, but it doesn't appear to be and to be fair if they could get a job for wherever whilst in the UK why can't they do that vice versa.

If I was looking to return to the UK my first thoughts would be to try and secure employment before going back, I certainly wouldn't be relying on benefits...not just because of not wanting to but because of the inevitable wait for them to be processed.

In my opinion people become too dependant on benefits and it's become a natural reaction...going back to the UK best get my claim in! Surely it would be better to say going back to the UK best get job hunting?
But in the thread today, the OP was returning following a marriage split. Not really the kind of thing you budget for. (At least I don't.)

And you must know that securing employment when you're on the wrong side of the planet is nigh on impossible. Most companies/recruitment agenices don't want to know until you're in the country.

The last statement is too ridiculous to warrant an answer.

I have to go and start dinner prep.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Your opinion your entitled to it just as I am.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that most people turning up in the UK from third world countries turn up expecting free handouts when they haven't done a days work in the country and have no intention of doing so either. Why shouldn't ex-pats do the same?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of

I really don't get this? Where have I suggested that someone else should pay to bring up our child? We do have the finances to have a child but like most I will need to take 6 months to a year off to care for the baby. In that time we will have one income so I will claim whatever benefits I can to help us through this stage. Why is that selfish? It's perfectly normal, it's how the system works, it is why it is there. As for saying I belong to any type of brigade - bog off, you know nothing about me

You are such a selfish person. Why should someone else pay for you to bring up your kid. If you don't have the finances to fund a child you shouldn't have one. You are typical of the "It's my right and this is what I am entitled to brigade".
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:36 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Is that you Haggerwood?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:46 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Is that you Haggerwood?

Evening, A.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:47 am
Cup of tea, Father?

I guess that most people turning up in the UK from third world countries turn up expecting free handouts when they haven't done a days work in the country and have no intention of doing so either. Why shouldn't ex-pats do the same?
Completely different scenarios. Most expats have contributed to the system via tax/NI contributions.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:48 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Evening, A.
Wotcha GG, very similar writing style and he's disappeared.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:50 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Wotcha GG, very similar writing style and he's disappeared.
I shall monitor.

I don't normally bother with any debate, but I've been avoiding uni work for the afternoon, so I've been hiding on here.

You up to owt interesting?
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:52 am

You up to owt interesting?
Not a lot, got to go down town later to claim my benefits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.