Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to claim benefits

Moving back to claim benefits

Closed Thread

Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:22 am
  #16  
Forum Regular
 
Jessie James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 141
Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Oh my God!!! What a freakish attitude you have!! Do you live in the real world?? We CAN afford to have kids thank you very much but I challenge anyone to do it on a sole or reduced income without some sort of support from the benefits system. I am just thankful that people like you aren't intelligent enough to be policy-makers - where would all the parents of the world be then? I don't know if you realise this but what you are spouting is not only rubbish but down right insulting


Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
calm down dear...I'm not leeching on anything...I don't claim benefits and I certainly wouldn't of had kids if I couldn't afford to support them without relying on benefits, but that's just personal opinion and my own self respect.

Again just expressing my opinion. I fully agree with a benefits system but one that supports the elderly, sick and disabled not just those that choose to have families they can't actually afford to have or those that are young, fit and able to work but too lazy too.
Jessie James is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:28 am
  #17  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by Jessie James View Post
Oh my God!!! What a freakish attitude you have!! Do you live in the real world?? We CAN afford to have kids thank you very much but I challenge anyone to do it on a sole or reduced income without some sort of support from the benefits system. I am just thankful that people like you aren't intelligent enough to be policy-makers - where would all the parents of the world be then? I don't know if you realise this but what you are spouting is not only rubbish but down right insulting
oops didn't mean to offend! How can it be insulting to say if you want to have kids you should be able to support them yourself rather than rely on benefits? Many many people provide for themselves and do not rely on benefits.

oops again, 18 years in local government as a Senior Officer, after college and university...mmm policy making a strong point...never mind you don't know me.

It's just personal opinion dear....don't take offence, perhaps just an old fashioned view point of the state helping the needy not the greedy!
phil01 is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:35 am
  #18  
Forum Regular
 
Jessie James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 141
Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Why am I greedy to be claiming a benefit I am entitled to in order to help my family survive through a transitional period i.e one wage while baby is young? Of course many people provide for themselves but many people are not as fortunate to have been given the opportunity to. I realise there are spongers out there who do work the system for maximum gain but you seem to be talking about anyone who claims in the same group - that simply isn't true. And I stand by what I said about policy-making - you clearly have no idea. And if you go around with 'personal opinions' like that don't be surprised if people take offence.


Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
oops didn't mean to offend! How can it be insulting to say if you want to have kids you should be able to support them yourself rather than rely on benefits? Many many people provide for themselves and do not rely on benefits.

oops again, 18 years in local government as a Senior Officer, after college and university...mmm policy making a strong point...never mind you don't know me.

It's just personal opinion dear....don't take offence, perhaps just an old fashioned view point of the state helping the needy not the greedy!
Jessie James is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 6:54 am
  #19  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,093
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
oops didn't mean to offend! How can it be insulting to say if you want to have kids you should be able to support them yourself rather than rely on benefits? Many many people provide for themselves and do not rely on benefits.

oops again, 18 years in local government as a Senior Officer, after college and university...mmm policy making a strong point...never mind you don't know me.

It's just personal opinion dear....don't take offence, perhaps just an old fashioned view point of the state helping the needy not the greedy!
you really are a piece of work. You are truly lucky never to have been in a position where you or your partner have been made redundant, taken ill or some other unpredictable life experience. I am also presuming you turned down child benefit and maternity pay from your high flying local government employer.
northernbird is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:13 am
  #20  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by Jessie James View Post
Why am I greedy to be claiming a benefit I am entitled to in order to help my family survive through a transitional period i.e one wage while baby is young? Of course many people provide for themselves but many people are not as fortunate to have been given the opportunity to. I realise there are spongers out there who do work the system for maximum gain but you seem to be talking about anyone who claims in the same group - that simply isn't true. And I stand by what I said about policy-making - you clearly have no idea. And if you go around with 'personal opinions' like that don't be surprised if people take offence.
Again...I never said you were greedy I said I support the needy not the greedy, you have decided you are the greedy not me.

I fully support those that need benefits but to me those are the elderly, sick and disabled not those that have the option to work or not...just personal opinion as is yours.
phil01 is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:16 am
  #21  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by northernbird View Post
you really are a piece of work. You are truly lucky never to have been in a position where you or your partner have been made redundant, taken ill or some other unpredictable life experience. I am also presuming you turned down child benefit and maternity pay from your high flying local government employer.
mmm hubby was made redundant and then diagnosed with cancer...so been in that position but no didn't even dream of claiming benefits. We still had an income and could still manage...as I said benefits to me are for those that need it to survive not just to supplement their income. Of course I didn't turn down maternity pay from my high flying government career that was my pay as an employee not a state claimed benefit.
phil01 is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:18 am
  #22  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,093
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
mmm hubby was made redundant and then diagnosed with cancer...so been in that position but no didn't even dream of claiming benefits. We still had an income and could still manage...as I said benefits to me are for those that need it to survive not just to supplement their income. Of course I didn't turn down maternity pay from my high flying government career that was my pay as an employee not a state claimed benefit.
Well you were lucky then to have had an income big enough. Yours is a nasty, patronising and snobbish attitude to have and that is my opinion and no doubt a few around these parts will have the same.
northernbird is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:25 am
  #23  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by northernbird View Post
Well you were lucky then to have had an income big enough. Yours is a nasty, patronising and snobbish attitude to have and that is my opinion and no doubt a few around these parts will have the same.
You are entitled to your opinion but I am quite sure that quite a few will have my opinion also, no need to get so personal.

If people are fit and able to work then they should work, if they choose to have a family they should be able to support that family so that the income generated from the tax payer can fund the much more deserving such as teminally ill cancer patients who can't get treatment because the NHS can't afford it...parents can choose to have children and can choose to either be stay at home or go to work parents...cancer suferers have no choice.

My attitude is not nasty or patronising or snobbish...I just believe that there are greater causes for the tax payer to foot the bill other than those that can't be bothered or choose not to work. If you feel that parents who choose to have kids then choose to stay at home deserve the money more than those left with no choice such as cancer patients then maybe it is you who should be re-evalute your value system!
phil01 is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:26 am
  #24  
Cup of tea, Father?
 
Geordie George's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Underground, overground, wombling free
Posts: 6,895
Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by northernbird View Post
Well you were lucky then to have had an income big enough. Yours is a nasty, patronising and snobbish attitude to have and that is my opinion and no doubt a few around these parts will have the same.
Seconded.

You've got to love people who pretty much think that the majority of the population shouldn't be allowed to have children.

ETA: Also wonder why this thread is in the MBTTUK forum, rather than the lounge or TIO? It seems that the OP wants to debate who is entitled to benefits and under what cicumstances they should be paid. Why is that only a UK issue?
Geordie George is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:32 am
  #25  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by Geordie George View Post
Seconded.

You've got to love people who pretty much think that the majority of the population shouldn't be allowed to have children.

ETA: Also wonder why this thread is in the MBTTUK forum, rather than the lounge or TIO? It seems that the OP wants to debate who is entitled to benefits and under what cicumstances they should be paid. Why is that only a UK issue?
aaahhh what can I say...I never said people shouldn't have children just they should support them..I can't understand why that is such an alien concept to some people. Why should I and other tax payers have to support you and your choice to have children and then your choice to stay at home.

I happily, gladly give my hard earnt pennies to those in need but I don't class parents who can't afford to live the life of staying at home without taking from the state as needy...I class those that need life saving drugs and are turned down because the money has been spent on baby bonuses etc... as far more deserving.

But still has sparked a lively debate. No offence meant to anyone just personal opinion which I make no apologies for. Got to go know...bye bye for now
phil01 is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:33 am
  #26  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: miles from a pint of milk!
Posts: 863
lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

[QUOTE=phil01;4541010]oops didn't mean to offend! How can it be insulting to say if you want to have kids you should be able to support them yourself rather than rely on benefits? Many many people provide for themselves and do not rely on benefits.

this made me soooo cross:curse:

im a single parent who has had to rely on the benefit system throughtout the last 28 years at some time or another.

I ALWAYS worked but they were low paid jobs, I then went to college, on to uni (paid my way through that and worked TWO jobs, one cleaning a filthy betting shop at 5.30am in the morning) and finally got a well paid job teaching was in debt to the tune of 10,000 pound by the time id finished. all of it paid of may i hasten to add.

What if i had been married, had children then my partner died or left, what then!

Im returning to the UK after only just over 2 months here, because of family issues. Whilst here, i have contributed to my NI, paid for my sons keep and secured a terms contract before I returned, just so I wouldnt be looking for benefits, but if I needed to I would.

Not ALL people on benefits in the UK or OZ enjoy it.


Oh and whilst here have paid a whacking 47.5% of my wages in tax!!!!! (bloody DECS payroll nearly bankrupted me)
rant over.
lollyno1 is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:34 am
  #27  
Gutter Gob!!
 
northernbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 13,093
northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion but I am quite sure that quite a few will have my opinion also, no need to get so personal.

If people are fit and able to work then they should work, if they choose to have a family they should be able to support that family so that the income generated from the tax payer can fund the much more deserving such as teminally ill cancer patients who can't get treatment because the NHS can't afford it...parents can choose to have children and can choose to either be stay at home or go to work parents...cancer suferers have no choice.

My attitude is not nasty or patronising or snobbish...I just believe that there are greater causes for the tax payer to foot the bill other than those that can't be bothered or choose not to work. If you feel that parents who choose to have kids then choose to stay at home deserve the money more than those left with no choice such as cancer patients then maybe it is you who should be re-evalute your value system!
Yes there are scroungers the world over. You are lumping a huge group of people into the scroungers pile. You were lucky enough when your partner was made redundant and was ill that you had enough money to cover it. If I was in that boat we wouldn't have enough to pay the bills even for a short while. Does that make me a greedy scrounger if I chose to claim benefit until my husband found another job so that I could feed and clothe my kids. I stand by my original opinion of you, I doubt very many people around this forum would have such a blinkered attitude. Back to reading your Daily Mail now.

Thanks GG for the support btw.
northernbird is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:38 am
  #28  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

[QUOTE=lollyno1;4541111]
Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
oops didn't mean to offend! How can it be insulting to say if you want to have kids you should be able to support them yourself rather than rely on benefits? Many many people provide for themselves and do not rely on benefits.

this made me soooo cross:curse:

im a single parent who has had to rely on the benefit system throughtout the last 28 years at some time or another.

I ALWAYS worked but they were low paid jobs, I then went to college, on to uni (paid my way through that and worked TWO jobs, one cleaning a filthy betting shop at 5.30am in the morning) and finally got a well paid job teaching was in debt to the tune of 10,000 pound by the time id finished. all of it paid of may i hasten to add.

What if i had been married, had children then my partner died or left, what then!

Im returning to the UK after only just over 2 months here, because of family issues. Whilst here, i have contributed to my NI, paid for my sons keep and secured a terms contract before I returned, just so I wouldnt be looking for benefits, but if I needed to I would.

Not ALL people on benefits in the UK or OZ enjoy it.


Oh and whilst here have paid a whacking 47.5% of my wages in tax!!!!! (bloody DECS payroll nearly bankrupted me)
rant over.
BRAVO Well done, give the girl a medal... that is my point exactly...you didn't sit on your rear and live off the state. As I said earlier I support the needy not the greedy. I haven't said everyone that claims benefits is a scrounger just in my personal opinion some causes are greater than others.
phil01 is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:40 am
  #29  
BE Forum Addict
 
NedKelly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,584
NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by Jessie James View Post
Why am I greedy to be claiming a benefit I am entitled to in order to help my family survive through a transitional period i.e one wage while baby is young? Of course many people provide for themselves but many people are not as fortunate to have been given the opportunity to. I realise there are spongers out there who do work the system for maximum gain but you seem to be talking about anyone who claims in the same group - that simply isn't true. And I stand by what I said about policy-making - you clearly have no idea. And if you go around with 'personal opinions' like that don't be surprised if people take offence.
You are such a selfish person. Why should someone else pay for you to bring up your kid. If you don't have the finances to fund a child you shouldn't have one. You are typical of the "It's my right and this is what I am entitled to brigade".
NedKelly is offline  
Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:42 am
  #30  
Cup of tea, Father?
 
Geordie George's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Underground, overground, wombling free
Posts: 6,895
Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to claim benefits

Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
aaahhh what can I say...I never said people shouldn't have children just they should support them..I can't understand why that is such an alien concept to some people. Why should I and other tax payers have to support you and your choice to have children and then your choice to stay at home.

I happily, gladly give my hard earnt pennies to those in need but I don't class parents who can't afford to live the life of staying at home without taking from the state as needy...I class those that need life saving drugs and are turned down because the money has been spent on baby bonuses etc... as far more deserving.

But still has sparked a lively debate. No offence meant to anyone just personal opinion which I make no apologies for. Got to go know...bye bye for now
Being able to support children is a sliding scale. Just because my hubbie and I both currently have well paid jobs and could do without child benefit etc, doesn't mean we always will.

I'll take one of your crystal balls, thanks.

Not everyone has the IQ of Einstein or skills/abilities that command high salaries. Some people have to do manual work for a living, for example. Please explain how such people could afford children without a little help? Or do you think that they shouldn't have them?
Geordie George is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service