British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Moving back to claim benefits (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/moving-back-claim-benefits-436106/)

phil01 Mar 21st 2007 1:13 am

Moving back to claim benefits

I have left the UK but pop into this forum just because I like too...not been gone that long...nearly a year. But one thing I have noticed on this forum is some people that are heading back to the UK want to know 'what will I get' before they have even stepped foot in the country let alone contributed towards it. It's one of the things that made me leave the UK don't other expats and in particular those of you going back to the UK get a bit fed up with people harping on about going back to the UK to claim benefits.

Before you ask I came from a single parent family but my mother worked 3 jobs a day to pay the bills, 2 cleaning jobs and a bar job! No not a great life for her but she had self respect and supported her 3 children through her own hard work. I am not saying everyone can do it but can't they at least be made to try? :confused:

Jessie James Mar 21st 2007 1:53 am

Re: Moving back to claim benefits

What a judgemental post!! One of the biggest concerns of most moving back is finances and how they will cope because A) the UK is an expensive place to live and B) emigrating is pretty dam expensive too! So it is only natural that it follows that people look into the financial situation before they move back and benefits are a part of this, particualrly for those with families. I'm sure your Mum deserves a medal and all but really, pull your head in :p

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4540584)
I have left the UK but pop into this forum just because I like too...not been gone that long...nearly a year. But one thing I have noticed on this forum is some people that are heading back to the UK want to know 'what will I get' before they have even stepped foot in the country let alone contributed towards it. It's one of the things that made me leave the UK don't other expats and in particular those of you going back to the UK get a bit fed up with people harping on about going back to the UK to claim benefits.

Before you ask I came from a single parent family but my mother worked 3 jobs a day to pay the bills, 2 cleaning jobs and a bar job! No not a great life for her but she had self respect and supported her 3 children through her own hard work. I am not saying everyone can do it but can't they at least be made to try? :confused:

phil01 Mar 21st 2007 2:21 am

It wasn't meant to be judgemental...just honest. If you move to NZ or Oz or Spain the costs of moving there are high but you don't go over there with the attitude can I get benefits, yet my point being people that go to the UK naturally seem to think what can I get...not judgemental just a fact!

If people choose to leave the UK and then go back they should be able to support themselves...judegmental or not it's my opinion.

northernbird Mar 21st 2007 2:24 am

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4540731)
It wasn't meant to be judgemental...just honest. If you move to NZ or Oz or Spain the costs of moving there are high but you don't go over there with the attitude can I get benefits, yet my point being people that go to the UK naturally seem to think what can I get...not judgemental just a fact!

If people choose to leave the UK and then go back they should be able to support themselves...judegmental or not it's my opinion.

Most people who go back contribute for many years before they leave the UK. I paid NI for 20 years and if I chose to move back to the UK feel its my right as a UK citizen to claim benefits if I am eligible and need the extra help to get started.

phil01 Mar 21st 2007 2:33 am

I too have paid into the system for 23 years and have never claimed, but also would like to think if I was desperate enough I would be able to claim something...highly unlikely unless I became a single parent that doesn't work or convinced my hubby not to bother working anymore. What I am trying to say is it shouldn't really be a major factor. If people choose to go back to the UK they should go with the intention of being able to support themselves or at least try to, when people come on here wanting to know what they will get before they have even booked their plane ticket it's like well good old UK tax payers can support me now, even though I am no longer in the UK I still disagree with that.

northernbird Mar 21st 2007 2:36 am

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4540756)
I too have paid into the system for 23 years and have never claimed, but also would like to think if I was desperate enough I would be able to claim something...highly unlikely unless I became a single parent that doesn't work or convinced my hubby not to bother working anymore. What I am trying to say is it shouldn't really be a major factor. If people choose to go back to the UK they should go with the intention of being able to support themselves or at least try to, when people come on here wanting to know what they will get before they have even booked their plane ticket it's like well good old UK tax payers can support me now, even though I am no longer in the UK I still disagree with that.

I think you are analysing too much along with being extremely judgemental and quite frankly a bit of a snob. I don't think for a minute that most of the returnees would say they wouldn't come back because they couldn't get benefits. Just one of the questions they ask along with which shippers to use and will their no claims bonus be valid.

phil01 Mar 21st 2007 2:45 am

When they left the UK for a better life, to get away from what they disliked about the UK, was one of the considerations before they migrated...how much money can I get out of the state if I go and live in OZ? No it's not likely to of been so it clearly is a factor in the decision to return...for some.

I don't consider myself a snob at all, I simply posed a question to see what other people felt and I am sure that there are loads of people living in the UK that are totally fed up with the UK becoming a benefits state and when people that chose to leave the UK and live abroad want to know what they can claim for before even getting back to the UK it really emphasises the point. Read it as judgemental if you like but as I said it is my opinion.

Elvira Mar 21st 2007 2:51 am

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4540786)
When they left the UK for a better life, to get away from what they disliked about the UK, ..........it is my opinion.

Speak for yourself - not all of us left the UK for a better life. There is very little about the UK that I dislike.

northernbird Mar 21st 2007 2:52 am

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4540786)
When they left the UK for a better life, to get away from what they disliked about the UK, was one of the considerations before they migrated...how much money can I get out of the state if I go and live in OZ? No it's not likely to of been so it clearly is a factor in the decision to return...for some.

I don't consider myself a snob at all, I simply posed a question to see what other people felt and I am sure that there are loads of people living in the UK that are totally fed up with the UK becoming a benefits state and when people that chose to leave the UK and live abroad want to know what they can claim for before even getting back to the UK it really emphasises the point. Read it as judgemental if you like but as I said it is my opinion.

The UK has its problems, problems which occur everywhere in the world. The UK problems didn't not impact me directly and I did not leave there because I didn't like it anymore. I feel if I was in a predicament and had to return home with no money they I would like to think the benefits system would help me out after all I have contributed. It wouldn't have thought about this issue before I left the UK as I would have been all excited at the prospect of my new life and certainly would not be expecting it to go tits up.

phil01 Mar 21st 2007 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 4540797)
Speak for yourself - not all of us left the UK for a better life. There is very little about the UK that I dislike.

I am speaking for myself...that's why I said in my opinion!

MrsB Mar 21st 2007 3:28 am

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4540584)
It's one of the things that made me leave the UK don't other expats and in particular those of you going back to the UK get a bit fed up with people harping on about going back to the UK to claim benefits.

Is that really what "made you leave the UK" ???

News: there are spongers here too - and you're probably still paying for them!!!!!

Just like taxes - there are spongers everywhere!! That doesn't make it right - but it's still all here too!!

Jessie James Mar 21st 2007 3:39 am

Why are you so concerned about UK tax payers? The tax system is there to support us all and pays for all sorts of things from the NHS to the prison system to benefits. Why are you leeching onto benefits as something to judge people on? And why should families feel guilty for claiming benefits that they are entitled to? Particularly working families or are you putting your bias all on families that don't work. I actually really don't know who you're talking about because it is laughable to suggest that someone would base moving countries on what benefits they may get.....come on it's one of many, many factors. For us, we are going to be parents for the first time and our budgeting / income will be all over the place. While working out our likely monthly outgoings against what we'll have coming in on one wage of course i am going to seek information on what benefits I can include in that income - why the hell wouldn't I??

Originally Posted by phil01 (Post 4540756)

Geordie George Mar 21st 2007 4:14 am

I can honestly say that in the two and a half years I've been reading this forum, I've only ever seen two threads about claiming benefits on returning to the UK. Hardly people 'harping on'. And, even if there were more threads, why would such questions be worse than questions about shipping etc?

phil01 Mar 21st 2007 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Jessie James (Post 4540887)
Why are you so concerned about UK tax payers? The tax system is there to support us all and pays for all sorts of things from the NHS to the prison system to benefits. Why are you leeching onto benefits as something to judge people on? And why should families feel guilty for claiming benefits that they are entitled to? Particularly working families or are you putting your bias all on families that don't work. I actually really don't know who you're talking about because it is laughable to suggest that someone would base moving countries on what benefits they may get.....come on it's one of many, many factors. For us, we are going to be parents for the first time and our budgeting / income will be all over the place. While working out our likely monthly outgoings against what we'll have coming in on one wage of course i am going to seek information on what benefits I can include in that income - why the hell wouldn't I??

calm down dear...I'm not leeching on anything...I don't claim benefits and I certainly wouldn't of had kids if I couldn't afford to support them without relying on benefits, but that's just personal opinion and my own self respect.

Again just expressing my opinion. I fully agree with a benefits system but one that supports the elderly, sick and disabled not just those that choose to have families they can't actually afford to have or those that are young, fit and able to work but too lazy too.

phil01 Mar 21st 2007 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Best (Post 4540871)
Is that really what "made you leave the UK" ???

News: there are spongers here too - and you're probably still paying for them!!!!!

Just like taxes - there are spongers everywhere!! That doesn't make it right - but it's still all here too!!

Yes it most certainly is one of the contributing factors of why we left the UK...I fully agree and support a benefits system for those that need benefits but I don't consider people who can up sticks pay the huge fees involved in migration, visas, medicals, shipping etc...to be amongst the most needy, if they are returning broke...tough...should of spent more wisely.

For people to say I am going back to the UK what benefits will I get and will I get a council house is insulting, those that have been on the list for 2 years should get a higher priority, if their dream life has gone tits up why should the UK tax payer have to help them get back on their feet?