Reload this Page >

moving back from Canada also--ascendant parent concerns

Wikiposts

moving back from Canada also--ascendant parent concerns

Old Sep 20th 2007, 2:37 am
Just Joined

green is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving back from Canada also--ascendant parent concerns

Hello, We are exploring options. I am Canadian with ILE and husband is UK national--long absence in Canada. We are beginning to think we will be moving back to try living again in UK. Lived there for 5 months last year. Quite expensive to live due to exchange rates from Canadian funds. However, we are more prepared for basic employment now as assistant psychologists BA/MA levels. My main question is bringing my mother into UK as dependent family member. We can likely prove her dependence on us, but unsure minimum finances needed per year to get okay for her to move over with us? Any ideas at all? Thank you muchly for help. Green
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 7:30 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving back from Canada also--ascendant parent concerns

Originally Posted by green
Hello, We are exploring options. I am Canadian with ILE and husband is UK national--long absence in Canada. We are beginning to think we will be moving back to try living again in UK. Lived there for 5 months last year. Quite expensive to live due to exchange rates from Canadian funds. However, we are more prepared for basic employment now as assistant psychologists BA/MA levels. My main question is bringing my mother into UK as dependent family member. We can likely prove her dependence on us, but unsure minimum finances needed per year to get okay for her to move over with us? Any ideas at all? Thank you muchly for help. Green

It depends on a number of factors, you might want to look at:

http://www.iasuk.org/C2B/document_tr...?ID=68&CatID=1

Basically if your mother is over 65 and you have enough money to support her full living expenses, they will look at it. If you don't have jobs at this point, I am not sure whether you can bring her in as a dependant.

You may have difficulty getting employment at BA Psych level, as this degree is a popular one in the UK, i.e. too many grads with a UK obtained Psych degree, who have current UK experience. If you meant that you both have BA's and MA's which are accepted by the BPS and you can become registered through the BPS, you will be OK.

http://www.bps.org.uk/home-page.cfm
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Hello, Thank you very much. My mother is 72 years old. We are in the process of getting approval for Graduate Basis for Registration (GBR) with the BPS. However, we will probably not be registered at the MA level, likely just GBR for honours BA. Do you think we might get work with some basic Canadian volunteer experience as long as we have GBR? Do you think, also, that onnce we are working at this level, we might get an okay to get my mother over? Thanks again for your sharing--it is so helpful. PS: I will review the site you mentioned. Green
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 3:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Thank you very much. My mother is 72 years old.
I think you should understand that getting your mother into the U.K. is likely to be very difficult - maybe ask the question at http://www.immigrationboards.com
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think you should understand that getting your mother into the U.K. is likely to be very difficult - maybe ask the question at http://www.immigrationboards.com
Thanks alot JAJ. I will talke a look at this site. Green
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 6:58 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Thank you very much. My mother is 72 years old. We are in the process of getting approval for Graduate Basis for Registration (GBR) with the BPS. However, we will probably not be registered at the MA level, likely just GBR for honours BA. Do you think we might get work with some basic Canadian volunteer experience as long as we have GBR? Do you think, also, that onnce we are working at this level, we might get an okay to get my mother over? Thanks again for your sharing--it is so helpful. PS: I will review the site you mentioned. Green
Honestly - no. Even with GBR, the opportunities for a BA Psych are limited without significant paid working experience to bring to the table. The UK has a different perspective on volunteer experience, and it is generally not too positive. I am sorry, I really don't want to deter you.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 3:28 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much. I appreciate your honest opinions and obvious sincerity. The other option for us would be to rent a space and open up a counseling, hypnotherapy, reiki type of office while we gain experience, and then even apply to a Clinical psych course. I appreciate your native wisdom. Do you have any opinions on success in this way, perhaps? Thanks again. Green