Wikiposts

Moving back from Canada

Old Sep 24th 2007, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back from Canada

Originally Posted by ann m
What a nightmare !! With all the research we do to emigrate in the first place, you kind of forget how much more you might need to do to go home again. I for one, would be clueless. You just kind of assume you pick up where you left off and everyone will provide what you need. You forget you might have to wriggle and fight for the necessities ! Good luck BV

Thanks Ann, im hoping once we get settled it will be easier, I think since 9/11 they have toughened up on Bank accounts, as that seems to be the hardest one to get. but the offshore account is ok for now ! I left the UK with literally nothing not even a bank account, so maybe its a little easier for ppl who left a bank account and such before they headed abroad.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

louisasurreygirl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by polarbearmum
Add your husband to your bank account as soon as possible upon arrival back in the uk. Get registered on the electorol roll as soon as possible.
Depends upon the bank/building society as to how long they want for a qualifying period. We have an appointment to discuss this with a mortgage broker soon.
Problem we've encountered is trying to rent - as we have only just arrived they are requiring a guarantor, either that or us paying 6-12months rent upfront! We are lucky that this might be possible otherwise we will have to use my parents as guarantors and I am not comfortable with this at all.
Thanks polarbearmum!
Actually I have already added hubby to my bank account - did so when we got married a year ago. We were in blighty for our wedding, so we got him added whilst we had the opportunity to go into the bank in person. they were okay about us living here, but yet still having our postal address at my parents over there! They just required his ID: passport, driver's licence and also they requested recent bank statements from the canadian bank account for further background checks so we already have my bank account exchanged to a joint bank account, and have a cheque book in both our names.

However, although this will help, I still am not convinced that they'll freely give us credit cards or loans/mortgages until we're properly set up in England and have a regular income in and out. It makes me wonder whether it'll be worthwhile me going ahead of him and getting a job so at least money is flowing into our account for a couple of months beforehand to make obtaining that all important credit a bit easier?

If you don't mind, I would be really grateful to hear how your meeting goes with the mortgage advisor as it will give us some useful insight, especially what with the Northern Rock palava going on at the moment, I have a feeling that lenders might be extra stringent when dishing out the credit...
thanks again
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Add your husband to your bank account as soon as possible upon arrival back in the uk. Get registered on the electorol roll as soon as possible.
Depends upon the bank/building society as to how long they want for a qualifying period. We have an appointment to discuss this with a mortgage broker soon.
Problem we've encountered is trying to rent - as we have only just arrived they are requiring a guarantor, either that or us paying 6-12months rent upfront! We are lucky that this might be possible otherwise we will have to use my parents as guarantors and I am not comfortable with this at all.
Will a letter from your new employers confirming salaries etc. help? This usually helps when opening a bank account, not sure in terms of renting - it at least proves you are working and how much you will earn....
Old Sep 24th 2007, 11:19 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
Polarbearmum may be correct in that. In fact I do know that most Candian drivers license are restricted to Automatics, because they mainly drive just automatics. Majority of Canadians are not used to manual or 'shift stick'.
In the nearly 30 years I drove in Canada, not once did I see a driver's licence which was restricted to automatic only. I've been licenced in Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and BC, and my neice is licenced in New Brunswick. None of those places have manual or automatic restrictions unless it's changed in the 13 months I've been gone.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Get yourself on the electoral roll as soon as possible. having a bank account and credit cards doesn't mean you will get credit and your credit report from Canada will be of no use whatsoever. On our return to UK from Canada I couldn't even get a 15 quid a month mobile phone contract until I was on the electoral roll.

Totally agree with NB on getting yourself on electroll, when we came back from Germany, we had such problem, we had our own property but in reality we didn’t exist, couldn’t do nothing at all, I had all my British credit cards, British bank account but none of the count, you can register I think at the end of Oct.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
In the nearly 30 years I drove in Canada, not once did I see a driver's licence which was restricted to automatic only. I've been licenced in Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and BC, and my neice is licenced in New Brunswick. None of those places have manual or automatic restrictions unless it's changed in the 13 months I've been gone.
Your right you wouldnt have seen one in Canada there are no restrictions, we are talking about in ENGLAND, they have restrictions on Automatic or Manual licenses, and they will only give Canadian License holders an Automatic license unless they can prove they took a manual one
Old Sep 25th 2007, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The restrictions would be for UK, in UK if you pass your test in manual you can drive automatic, but you can also go for test for automatic, but you are not allowed to drive manual.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

I wonder if it helps at all to be registered as an overseas voter before arriving back in England and then re-updating your details upon arrival? The form says it is used by credit reference agencies in any case as well so at least your name will pop up on a search... ?!?

http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/documen...roxy-Forms.pdf

PS: you would think moving back to your own country would be easy!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 12:58 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
For the longest time now I have been really unhappy here, I dont dislike Canada it is just time to go home. I am taking Canadian hubby with me but I had a few questions for the ones who have taken the leap

Firstly I wondered how easy it was to exchange your Canadian drivers license and if there was a fee attached, also I would only have had my full license about 2 months when we leave, would they make me do a test again?

How did you find getting a job? was it good that you had foreign experience or did it put some off? I have been away for 5 years now but I have excellent experience.

Credit - How easy was it to get credit, I have zero credit in the UK and my hubby is Canadian / British so wondered how easy it was to get a credit card, will taking my credit report from here be of any help?

Housing - did any of you get a house before you went back? how was that process?

Benefits - This is just a query but is there a waiting period for returning resident to be able to claim job seekers allowance?......just a thought

Thanks gang!! We have gone back and forth in our heads about going back for a good 18 months now and its a great realisation to be actually going!! D day for me is the 20th May 2007, or 36 weeks LOL

When we moved back it was like we'd never been away. Mind you we got work very quickly.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by louisasurreygirl
I wonder if it helps at all to be registered as an overseas voter before arriving back in England and then re-updating your details upon arrival? The form says it is used by credit reference agencies in any case as well so at least your name will pop up on a search... ?!?

Yes it is easier if you remain on the electrol role as an overseas. Of course this doesn't help us as my OH is canadian and not entitled to vote, but of course he is the one in f/t employment.

Good news though, we are approved for the rental property and without providing a guarantor or 6months rent in advance(well as far as we know yet).

Not sure about credit card yet, although my VISA is also my debit card. My OH has just received his card.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by louisasurreygirl

What an awesome Idea, thanks so much!! I love this website!!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is easier if you remain on the electrol role as an overseas. Of course this doesn't help us as my OH is canadian and not entitled to vote,
He is entitled to vote, as a Canadian citizen resident in the U.K.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by britishvixen21

Benefits - This is just a query but is there a waiting period for returning resident to be able to claim job seekers allowance?......just a thought
Don't quote me on this as it has been some years since I tried to get some job seekers allowance. The rules used to be something like if you left your job voluntarily you had to wait something like 13 weeks before any monies were given and they also do a check on you to make sure that you have paid sufficient National Insurance Contributions to get covered by this.

When I applied they had trouble finding records of NI contributions and I had to then provide them with copies of all my P60's (lucky I kept every single one). You may find it quicker to get employment and be paid rather than trying to get job seekers allowance.

It used to be that if you got laid off or sacked you could sign on immediately. I don't know how it would work for someone returning to the UK. All the new immigrants here seem to be doing very nicely. I would suggest you check out the Department of Work and Pensions site and maybe ask the question there if you can. Try this link...
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/

All the best
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 1:47 am
Just Joined

jaygandhi8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Moving back from Canada

Hi Guys,

I am into Software IT (SAP-HR) field with experience of 8-9 years . I am planning to move to UK and have a valid HSMP right now on hand .

Is it good to move to UK without getting a job on hand? With my field of expertise - SAP HR and the Market requirements and the amount of experience on hand, I am pretty confident, but I am not getting positive input from people there.

Please advise.

Thanks

Jay Gandhi
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 7:32 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaygandhi8
Hi Guys,

I am into Software IT (SAP-HR) field with experience of 8-9 years . I am planning to move to UK and have a valid HSMP right now on hand .

Is it good to move to UK without getting a job on hand? With my field of expertise - SAP HR and the Market requirements and the amount of experience on hand, I am pretty confident, but I am not getting positive input from people there.

Please advise.

Thanks

Jay Gandhi
With SAP experience you'll be laughing all the way to the Bank. Check on www.jobserve.com and you'll see the wages you can make in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.