Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back British Muslim

Moving back British Muslim

Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:27 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Personally I don't.
And I respect you're opinion.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
Imagine if you had a family unit of 2 adults and 2 kids, one child was old enough to be told about the religion, the younger one not, dont you think that that exclusion would do even more harm?
There's a big difference between telling kids *about* religionS, plural, as part of their social education, and between indoctrinating them in one flavour of religion as fact. Huge difference.

I think kids should be taught *about* religions, but to be *taught* ethics, morals and how to think for themselves. This, of course, would never fly with the various churches as it would lose them their main source of recruits.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:09 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
There's a big difference between telling kids *about* religionS, plural, as part of their social education, and between indoctrinating them in one flavour of religion as fact. Huge difference.

I think kids should be taught *about* religions, but to be *taught* ethics, morals and how to think for themselves. This, of course, would never fly with the various churches as it would lose them their main source of recruits.
I totally agree, I went to a Church of England school, and was taught about Protestantism, Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Roman Catholicism, Hinduism and Sikhism. I think that was pretty well rounded.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
I totally agree, I went to a Church of England school, and was taught about Protestantism, Judaism, Buddhism, Islam, Roman Catholicism, Hinduism and Sikhism. I think that was pretty well rounded.
Which one did you choose to follow?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:09 pm
Firetrak

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Which one did you choose to follow?
Protestantism, simply because that's how I was brought up, but I got caught up in a cult when I was 18 which completely turned me off Christianity, that's not to say that the majority of Christian's aren't good people. I just fell in with the worst of them.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DriftingBack
I am not sure how you feel i am pushing my religion in snyone's face. I call myself a British Muslim bcos thats what i am. My name identifies me with a religion, like yours does with another - whether you believe in anything or not. Same goes for me. it's my identity - all I am asking is my identity being what it is are my children going to be welcome or not? ...
Trying not to be inflammatory about this, and I do realise and appreciate that there are different forms of Islam that share some beliefs and not others ...
but a root problem is that the religion of Islam does not regard men as equal to women; to be bound by the same rules of behaviour and dress.

Conversely, in 2010, Britain passed the Equality Act which is intended to enforce gender (and many other forms of) equality.

So unless there is a form of Islam that expects the same standards from men and women then anyone who embraces the religion of Islam in Britain is inevitably going to engage in exactly the kind of behaviour that the society wishes to discourage by force of law. The potential of that to cause problems is, I hope, obvious.

On the other hand if the family does not dress distinctly, or chaperone girls differently from boys, things like that, then they will likely fly under the radar. Religious gender discrimination needs to stay at home and not be flaunted in public, and especially not at school for children. In Britain that is, only in Britain and other countries that embrace gender equality, not everywhere.

Last edited by holly_1948; Feb 3rd 2013 at 2:29 am.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 3:26 pm
Firetrak

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Trying not to be inflammatory about this, and I do realise and appreciate that there are different forms of Islam that share some beliefs and not others ...
but a root problem is that the religion of Islam does not regard men as equal to women; to be bound by the same rules of behaviour and dress.

Conversely, in 2010, Britain passed the Equality Act which is intended to enforce gender (and many other forms of) equality.

So unless there is a form of Islam that expects the same standards from men and women then anyone who embraces the religion of Islam in Britain is inevitably going to engage in exactly the kind of behaviour that the society wishes to discourage by force of law. The potential of that to cause problems is, I hope, obvious.

On the other hand if the family does not dress distinctly, or chaperone girls differently from boys, things like that, then they will likely fly under the radar. Religious gender discrimination needs to stay at home and not be flaunted in public, and especially not at school for children. In Britain that is, only in Britain and other countries that embrace gender equality, not everywhere.
Neither does literally any other religion, the only difference with Islam is that in some countries they actually practice it. Ever heard of "honor and obey".