Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back British Muslim

Moving back British Muslim

Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

I have never had Islam 'pushed in my face', although I have with Christianity many times.
Both here, and it is most offensive.

I suppose I was just guessing that with religion as part of the thread title, it's a big deal for the OP, that's all.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:21 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't agree at all. It's a legitimate concern in view of some news reporting.

I have never had Islam 'pushed in my face', although I have with Christianity many times.
Yep, I would agree here. We asked similar questions as British people moving to NZ. It wasn't in relation to religion, but similar concept.

I've never had any religions pushed in my face apart from JW's knocking on my door, which used to drive me nuts. But that's a different argument for a different day!
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:26 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
This thread has been niggling away in a little corner of my brain today; I think it's because you identified yourself by your religion, Drifting. I suggest that your biggest danger of a bad reaction is if you go around pushing that religion in people's faces, as happens all too often. ie be yourself, not a label :-)
That's a little presumptuous towards the OP, suggesting he/she is going to shove their religion in other peoples faces. A religion is a huge part of someone's life and will, therefore, make up their identity. You don't know the OP so saying they are identifying themselves by their religion and shoving in peoples faces is a little harsh. I've never experiences anyone doing this in the UK. People of different religions go off and do their own thing and do not force it on anyone else. Apart from JW's as I mentioned before.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
That's a little presumptuous towards the OP, suggesting he/she is going to shove their religion in other peoples faces. A religion is a huge part of someone's life and will, therefore, make up their identity. You don't know the OP so saying they are identifying themselves by their religion and shoving in peoples faces is a little harsh. I've never experiences anyone doing this in the UK. People of different religions go off and do their own thing and do not force it on anyone else. Apart from JW's as I mentioned before.
Not presuming anything, just saying "if", and starting off a conversation "I'm a british muslim" IS identifying oneself

As for the JWs - they ARE bad. Knocking on the door, front and back, at ridiculous times of day, leaving offensive comics in their wake. Ban the lot!
Old Jan 26th 2013, 4:10 am
She'll be right

As for the JWs - they ARE bad. Knocking on the door, front and back, at ridiculous times of day, leaving offensive comics in their wake. Ban the lot!
Agree!
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

DriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'm in Yorkshire and my impression is that, while some people might mutter generally about immigrants, when they interact with an actual individual, they're invariably kind and friendly and respectful just as they would be with a white person.

To some extent I think it's because some people have a view of muslims and other immigrants that comes straight out of the Daily Mail. But when they meet an actual person, that goes out of the window. If asked about the dichotomy, they'd probably say "Oh he/she is lovely ... it's those lazy/violent/scrounging/[choose disparaging adjective] immigrants I don't like."

It's the same way that everyone seems to moan about benefits scroungers but no one disowns their friend or relative when he/she signs on after losing a job.

I'm sure you'll be very welcome.
Thanks for your message SallySimmons, greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 26th 2013, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

DriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ldollard
Look at the 4th picture with prince charles, that how i'd like to think of the UK and on the whole I think thats how it truly is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-21194276
I love that picture! Really sweet and candid shot
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ldollard
It also makes it more pleasant so lets just go with that.

Personally immigration made the UK the awesome country it is today, and I for one am really proud of it.

But lets all be honest, unchecked immigration from people who have no direct right, i.e. economic migrants, they should only be allowed in once all familial migrants have been settled.

I think the crux of the issue is a lot of UK people feel sidelined in these economic times when immigrants from other countries come and potentially take jobs from locals or put an added strain on public finances so projects for locals get scrapped as the money has to allocated for EU migrants from poor countries.

Its not racism that most people espouse, its fear of the country changing and leaving them behind.
Idollard, I used to feel shocked that in the UK there seems to be no co-relation between paying in and taking out - i mean this about the Europeans. I am surprised as to how and why they are entitled to benefits in the UK? Are we entitled similarly within the EU?? People outside the EU are not entitled to anything, including check ups on the NHS, unless they pay for it or carry insurance - they are allowed these only after being issued a work permit. Work permits for those outside the EU are rare to come by - my husband was one such exception... But then he works for a multinat and his skills with finance are highly technical in nature, so in fact he was the only one in the company who could've done the project he was called in for... If immigration in the Uk gets more organised the country will benefit. Qualified wouldn't have to wait five to seven years on a work visa (in which case the company has already proved to the govt the person they are hiring has skills important to the country), pass futile English language exams to get a PR.. In Canada this just takes two years. Highly qualified people outside the EU are preferring to to go there bcos their point system is so straight forward - you have the skills, the degrees, you are in. Rather what the UK is getting are either illegal immigrants, asylum seekers or plumbers, shelf stackers and pharmacists from the EU. Qualified people don't want to waste a lot of money and time investing in an immigration process which is obscure in its aims and they are unsure whether at the end of all the hoops the plumber might not get in after all before the neuro surgeon. The system needs a clearer vision and complete overhaul. That's my feel from the people I have spoken to at least. Britain has ths daunting image as a difficult country to immigrate to unfortunately.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

This thread has been niggling away in a little corner of my brain today; I think it's because you identified yourself by your religion, Drifting. I suggest that your biggest danger of a bad reaction is if you go around pushing that religion in people's faces, as happens all too often. ie be yourself, not a label :-)
I am not sure how you feel i am pushing my religion in snyone's face. I call myself a British Muslim bcos thats what i am. My name identifies me with a religion, like yours does with another - whether you believe in anything or not. Same goes for me. it's my identity - all I am asking is my identity being what it is are my children going to be welcome or not? This is in light of deeply divisive headlines in certain papers, almost everyday. whether I practise it or not is not the question. My very identity is offensive to some people, the fact that I am is obviously not a happy thought to a lot of people judging from some of the comments I've read in some of the papers. Read the daily mail for a few days and also read the comments section and then tell me I am being paranoid!

Last edited by DriftingBack; Jan 26th 2013 at 8:06 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Thank you for understanding Pom_Chch -
I am not about to come around to anyone's house with a Quran and give you to option of seeing the light or else!
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DriftingBack
I am not sure how you feel i am pushing my religion in snyone's face. I call myself a British Muslim bcos thats what i am. My name identifies me with a religion, like yours does with another - whether you believe in anything or not. Same goes for me. it's my identity - all I am asking is my identity being what it is are my children going to be welcome or not? This is in light of deeply divisive headlines in certain papers, almost everyday. whether I practise it or not is not the question. My very identity is offensive to some people, the fact that I am is obviously not a happy thought to a lot of people judging from some of the comments I've read in some of the papers. Read the daily mail for a few days and also read the comments section and then tell me I am being paranoid!
Please understand, I only said _IF_ you were going to push it at people. If not, hopefully you will have no problems at all. It wasn't me wot put it in the post title

Have to disagree with anyone's name necessarily identifying them with a religion, all it may do is give a clue to what one distant ancestors' religion might have been. I bet Ben Harper doesn't get people bothering him to play them a tune all the time. Oh wait....

I do read the Daily Mail, mostly for entertainment of the horror show variety, as it's clearly written by idiots for idiots. Yes the comments are horrifying, there are a lot of "those" people in the UK, but amongst 70 million or whatever it is now, is it really a significant amount? I don't know but Mrs Trellis springs to mind

As for your kids, they could well get bullied - it's what kids en masse tend to do. If not for their religion, for their hair colour, accent, intelligence or lack of, left or right handedness - or just because there's a Y in the day.

I do wish you good luck, as someone who has lived in several countries I've found that respecting the host country's culture, and making a bit of an effort to fit in, go a long way to make the experience nicer for everyone. That includes those of us who are returning to our home countries too; things have undoubtedly changed while we've been away.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Please understand, I only said _IF_ you were going to push it at people. If not, hopefully you will have no problems at all. It wasn't me wot put it in the post title

Have to disagree with anyone's name necessarily identifying them with a religion, all it may do is give a clue to what one distant ancestors' religion might have been. I bet Ben Harper doesn't get people bothering him to play them a tune all the time. Oh wait....

I do read the Daily Mail, mostly for entertainment of the horror show variety, as it's clearly written by idiots for idiots. Yes the comments are horrifying, there are a lot of "those" people in the UK, but amongst 70 million or whatever it is now, is it really a significant amount? I don't know but Mrs Trellis springs to mind

As for your kids, they could well get bullied - it's what kids en masse tend to do. If not for their religion, for their hair colour, accent, intelligence or lack of, left or right handedness - or just because there's a Y in the day.

I do wish you good luck, as someone who has lived in several countries I've found that respecting the host country's culture, and making a bit of an effort to fit in, go a long way to make the experience nicer for everyone. That includes those of us who are returning to our home countries too; things have undoubtedly changed while we've been away.
I agree the daily mailers are few and far between in entire scheme of affairs.. Please understand though that a mother is allowed to get paranoid!
I do take your philosophical point about names, ancestors and identity... But facts are most people would bracket me as a British Muslim of Indian origin. You are right about the bullying though - kids will be kids. Black, white, Chinese, Jew, Muslim, one toothless, specs-wearing - kids can be horribly mean. That's what I meant when I said I had chosen Wokingham to live in bcos the teachers there would have, one hopes, more experience in dealing with such situations. I have lived in many countries too so I have some experience of fitting in process you refer to... But I found fitting in the Uk very easy. In fact it didnt seem like a different culture to me at all...( In contrast when I came to the middle east, where as a person of Muslim origin I should have been fine, I got the biggest culture shock of my life!) Yes things in the UK have changed but as people get back into jobs, and the recession eases things will get better.

Last edited by DriftingBack; Jan 26th 2013 at 8:46 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

On a lighter note.. If anyone is a fan of Mrs. Brown's Boys there is wonderfully funny clip with Mrs Brown and visiting Mormons. Hilarious..I know this sitcom might not everybody's cup of tea but...
Old Jan 27th 2013, 12:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
On a lighter note.. If anyone is a fan of Mrs. Brown's Boys there is wonderfully funny clip with Mrs Brown and visiting Mormons. Hilarious..I know this sitcom might not everybody's cup of tea but...
It's crap but I quite like it
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

With Jehovah's Witnesses, I just smile and say that I am busy. I usually am drinking tea and watching the idiot box !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.