Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back British Muslim

Moving back British Muslim

Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by dunroving
Plus, your picture would only fit in the broadsheets.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The Daily Mail is more fiction than fact, and takes great delight out of making mountains out of a grain of sand. They are the only newspaper I would NOT talk to when I was PRO of British Naturism as I just couldn't trust what they would do to any comment I made.
That's cool Mike
Originally Posted by DriftingBack
Thanks mate!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

DriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to all

Originally Posted by morayeel
I understand your concerns. My daughter was thinking of moving back with her bi racial son. My mum, who lives in Scotland, told her that her son would be picked on! He is 9 years old and yesterday he came home from school and said he was bullied and asked "are you blacK" so in the US he is already starting to get bullied. We live in MS so a diverse area, but the school he goes to is mostly white. My sister, who lives in Elgin, told he he would most likely not get bullied because of his different features..It's just such a pity that some people can be so hurtful to others. I wish you all the best.
That's really sad, morayeel. Like I said one can tolerate racism towards oneself for a minute but when kids get hurt - and thru no fault of their own.. You really feel frustrated and helpless. We would be living in Reading which is one of the more diverse areas of the UK. But I am aware that kids would pick on others for any reason - bcos they are black, or a nerd, gay, or Muslim/Jewish... Whatever reason. It's not right but that's the world. It's how the school tackles it. Which is our main reason for choosing Reading. Even though the area we would be living in is mainly white at least the teachers are exposed to other kids and they have experience in dealing with such issues.. Well one can only hope!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

DriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by jemima55
I agree with Chris955.
From my perspective the UK is now a very racially diverse country.
I live in Yorkshire and some whole towns have more Muslims than native Yorkshire folk. They seem to be prosperous and doing well.
The husband of the couple next door to us is Muslim, a respected doctor, and totally at home here.
I really hope you get a pleasant surprise when you return.
Immigration is discussed, but it's more with reference to new countries joining the EU and their citizens coming here.
Jemima55 and Christ 955: thank you so much for your reassurance and kind words.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Very true.

The Daily Mail specializes in dressing up hatred in a 'nice' format, it is unfortunate that it has such a hold on the hard of thinking.
You are so right Sally Redux... It often runs purely fictional stories..
Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Get in a few digs about the Eastern Europeans first and you'll fit in fine
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Get in a few digs about the Eastern Europeans first and you'll fit in fine
Haha - well we had a polish cleaner and polish pharmacist both exrtremly efficient cheerful girls full of positive energy. I wouldn't say one word against them!
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:53 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

You seem to have a good attitude to the situation which helps in the first instance. It is hard being "different" and you sort of get used to stares but the verbal abuse is awful especially if it is directed at kids. You have picked a good area for diversity so at least your family is not the only ones who are "different".
From experience it is about getting in with the your neighbours and being part of the local community.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

DriftingBack...another vote from me to ignore the Daily Mail. They quality of the reporting is dreadful...they cannot get their facts right.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 9:55 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Driftingback,

I have just moved from the UK to NZ (I'm a Brit!) I must say that I did not witness any forms of hate towards Muslims. Like other people have said ignore what you read in the tabloids. I worked for a Jewish company and quite a few Muslims worked there and there was never any problem. The UK is generally an accepting place and I really don't think you'll have any problems.

There is a bit of a moaning culture in the UK as previous posters have mentioned. To be honest sometimes it is warranted. There are many immigrants with dodgy backgrounds who come into the UK, sometimes illegally and do nothing but cause trouble and the government appear to do nothing about it. They also seem to rock up to the UK and claim benefits, get given houses and get set up with interpretors (at tax payers expense) because they can't even speak English. I'm not saying this is the case for all immigrants but this problem does happen a lot and Eastern Europeans are the worst offenders. I hate to sound harsh and discriminatory but unfortunately it is true...

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Jan 24th 2013 at 10:07 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I'm looking forward to about moving back to the UK is that it's a lot more diverse than when I left . Yes it has its share of nasty-minded racists, just like the rest of the world, but hopefully they're in the minority.

Good luck with your move!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:08 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

I'm white, but my sister had a bi-racial child with a muslim guy (who is a dick, but just cause he's a dick not because he's a muslim) and I, my family or anyone in his school bats an eyelid at his skin colour.

I went to school in Richmond called Christ's School and it was mostly black, Asian, Indian, Pakistani and you'd get bullied but never for race. This was in 1996 and any mention of being bullied over race would be abhorrent to almost any kid I knew.

My mother and nan are from Belize in central America and my grandad's were from Ireland. Again no issue ever that I knew of.

I'd honestly say that the UK is the most tolerant place I've ever known and I was shocked and still am at how racist America is. But not just white on black, but black on black racism, black on white, Mexican on white, black, Asian etc... seems like every race hates the other, but in a very underhanded way.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Also to the OP you do seem to have the right attitude and don't believe the Daily Fail. I think what everyone else has written is a good and balanced POV and should help you make a sound decision. Good luck..
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
You seem to have a good attitude to the situation which helps in the first instance. It is hard being "different" and you sort of get used to stares but the verbal abuse is awful especially if it is directed at kids. You have picked a good area for diversity so at least your family is not the only ones who are "different".
From experience it is about getting in with the your neighbours and being part of the local community.
Thanks for some good advice pennylessinindia... I am glad you second vote my choice of area.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Hi Driftingback,

I have just moved from the UK to NZ (I'm a Brit!) I must say that I did not witness any forms of hate towards Muslims. Like other people have said ignore what you read in the tabloids. I worked for a Jewish company and quite a few Muslims worked there and there was never any problem. The UK is generally an accepting place and I really don't think you'll have any problems.

There is a bit of a moaning culture in the UK as previous posters have mentioned. To be honest sometimes it is warranted. There are many immigrants with dodgy backgrounds who come into the UK, sometimes illegally and do nothing but cause trouble and the government appear to do nothing about it. They also seem to rock up to the UK and claim benefits, get given houses and get set up with interpretors (at tax payers expense) because they can't even speak English. I'm not saying this is the case for all immigrants but this problem does happen a lot and Eastern Europeans are the worst offenders. I hate to sound harsh and discriminatory but unfortunately it is true...
I do hear you. I know exactly how horrified a hardworking British family feels when their taxes go right into a system perceived to be abused by half the world and their aunt. When it should actually go to improve education,child care and OAP care. We were paying a high tax band when we were in the UK so I know how it feels. What I was concerned about was that bcos of this atmosphere where some immigrants are abusing the country's hospitality, we and our children might face a backlash... Clearly you all have put my mind to rest. We are looking to settle in Reading, or actually Wokingham which has some good schools.. So keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
DriftingBack...another vote from me to ignore the Daily Mail. They quality of the reporting is dreadful...they cannot get their facts right.
Thank you JerseyGirl!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.