Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back British Muslim

Moving back British Muslim

Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:23 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back British Muslim

Please understand, I only said _IF_ you were going to push it at people. If not, hopefully you will have no problems at all. It wasn't me wot put it in the post title
Oh for heaven's sake. She put it in the title because the possibility of racism against her is based on the fact she's a muslim. Her post wouldn't have been clear if she hadn't identified her religion.

And as for people being scared the country is leaving them behind - it is unless they change their attitudes. Change is faster and faster in this day and age, and we can either go with it or try to resist it. Trying to resist it is futile and only causes stress and unhappiness, but it's still the route some people seem to prefer (witness the comments section of the Daily Telegraph - what a cesspool).
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:31 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
We hear of extremist Christians burning Korans, protesting Gay Pride and funerals sometimes though...and a few abortion doctors in the US have been killed but that's hardly Christlike - Christ was a pacifist. Even the Crusades came off the back of a third of Christendom being annexed by the Muslim Empire...and they failed to retake lands that were previously Christian.

As for the IRA, they are not Catholic terrorists - they are Irish Republican Terrorists who happen to comprise heavily of Irish Catholics. They would hardly have a "Prod squad" if they were doing what they did in the name of Catholicism...and the Catholic Church wouldn't threaten it's members with excommunication if they engaged in IRA activities if they condoned such groups would they?

Muslim terrorists do what they do in the name of political Islam, which was not founded by a pacifist nor teaches pacifism. It would not go away if all their demands were met either - for they will kill other Muslims they don't feel are fundamentalist enough just as easily as us infidels.

Yes there is always media bias - but why would the media report on the beheading of school teachers in front of their class in Thailand in the same light as those dicks in the Westboro Baptist Church?

N.
I wasn't suggesting this.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
As far as the media are concerned, I do think there is bias in how different religions are reported.

You often read, or hear about the actions of "Muslim extremists", but rarely if ever about "Christian extremists" or "Protestant extremists". Similarly, it is usually "Muslim extremists" (not Al Quaeda extremists), but "IRA terrorists" (not Catholic terrorists).
Well, this looks like how it is going now; one country - two systems. Bloody marvellous:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7232661.stm
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:56 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DriftingBack
Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to view my post. 15 years ago I acquired British citizenship. Then being a Muslim in the UK was unremarkable. Even after 9/11 and 7/7 I never felt I was in anyway not at 'home' - despite the fact that I lived in an all-white area. In 2008 I went abroad with husband and kids for new work opportunities. Now we are on the verge of moving back. Apart from all the other small panics that one naturally has while making a big move, I have been sent into a tizzy by repeated Daily Mail headlines which make me feel like my kids will be hated in the UK. I must add during my visits back to the UK I never felt that anyone was making me feel out of place - in fact everyone was very nice and kind as has been my usual experience in the UK. In fact I felt slightly foolish for letting DM headlines worry me. However as everyone knows visiting is one thing and moving back with kids going to a school is quite another. Do you think it is going to be really hard? What should I be prepared for? I am really worried about this. Any help is appreciated. I must add we are not stereotypical Muslims - my husband does not have a beard, I wear skirts and we look 'normal'... I say that without intending to offend anyone else.. Your advice and views are accepted with thanks.
I just wanted to say that I believe you will be greeted well in the UK.The Brits for the most part seem to be a live and let live type of sort. What what its worth, I think you'll do just fine imo.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh for heaven's sake. She put it in the title because the possibility of racism against her is based on the fact she's a muslim. Her post wouldn't have been clear if she hadn't identified her religion.
I get what you're saying - BUT - RACISM, if it rears its vile little head, will be because of the OP's RACE, as evidenced by her appearance, or by what she says in their hearing. That's all people who don't know her will have to go on. I'm not sure it helps dragging religion into it at all (and honestly, with the trouble it's caused over the ages, it's about time we bl**y banned it, all of it )

Personally I hope that the OP experiences nothing but a lovely kind welcome from her new neighbours. If I happen to be one of them I'll be inviting her round for tea and cake (haha, the trap is set )
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
Well, this looks like how it is going now; one country - two systems. Bloody marvellous:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7232661.stm
This from the archbish of canterbury who also says "I value unity because I believe we learn truth from each other in this process."

Just because a hypocrite in a silly hat says it, doesn't mean it's going to happen.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 6:45 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

I just don't get it, I mean religion in general, any religion, it's just brainwashed conditioning done to influential childrens minds and should be banned as a form of child abuse. - I think it should be against the law globally to tell anyone about religion of any form until they are over 21, then let them make up their own minds.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

DriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to all

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Most Archaeologist would get a chuckle out of the thought that minorities in the UK are indigenous to the UK. Some may have been there for many years but does that qualify as being indigenous?

America is a very young country in comparison to nations such as China,the UK,Germany.So the measuring stick to determine the term "indigenous" is naturally going to have layers in most every country of the world(including the UK) but in America the layers are going to be more recent and less complicated. Native Americans are the "true" indigenous Americans.No question about that.But in comparing which groups for the purpose of this conversation, I was referring to people that have a multi-generational family tree in America. That is why I mention "those that built this nation". I also mentioned people that immigrated here in the 1800's. Its all just conversation.
My dear fella you misread my comment. Re-read the first line, I was talking about the 'indegeneous' population - and what I meant is the minority willl never overtake the locals in the UK. Hope that is clear now. When you mention people who migrated in the 1880s I presume you mean the black slaves who might not have migrated willingly but did the actual hard labour of building the country. Yes I appreciate it's all conversation.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

DriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to all

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I just wanted to say that I believe you will be greeted well in the UK.The Brits for the most part seem to be a live and let live type of sort. What what its worth, I think you'll do just fine imo.
Thank you!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by happyglow
I get what you're saying - BUT - RACISM, if it rears its vile little head, will be because of the OP's RACE, as evidenced by her appearance, or by what she says in their hearing. That's all people who don't know her will have to go on. I'm not sure it helps dragging religion into it at all (and honestly, with the trouble it's caused over the ages, it's about time we bl**y banned it, all of it )

Personally I hope that the OP experiences nothing but a lovely kind welcome from her new neighbours. If I happen to be one of them I'll be inviting her round for tea and cake (haha, the trap is set )
-- you're on! Put on the kettle and start baking, hehe
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
We hear of extremist Christians burning Korans, protesting Gay Pride and funerals sometimes though...and a few abortion doctors in the US have been killed but that's hardly Christlike - Christ was a pacifist. Even the Crusades came off the back of a third of Christendom being annexed by the Muslim Empire...and they failed to retake lands that were previously Christian.

As for the IRA, they are not Catholic terrorists - they are Irish Republican Terrorists who happen to comprise heavily of Irish Catholics. They would hardly have a "Prod squad" if they were doing what they did in the name of Catholicism...and the Catholic Church wouldn't threaten it's members with excommunication if they engaged in IRA activities if they condoned such groups would they?

Muslim terrorists do what they do in the name of political Islam, which was not founded by a pacifist nor teaches pacifism. It would not go away if all their demands were met either - for they will kill other Muslims they don't feel are fundamentalist enough just as easily as us infidels.

Yes there is always media bias - but why would the media report on the beheading of school teachers in front of their class in Thailand in the same light as those dicks in the Westboro Baptist Church?

N.
unfortunately if I start answering you properly we will go off topic. but the short version is this: Most of what you say about the present state of Islam is unfortunately true. Muslims in the west have gotten too enmeshed in the visible trappings of Islam (veil, niqab, beard, sharia) than practising the religion. They are too busy making political statements of defiance (which is why I support the veil ban). Muslims like me and my friends, family, decent people, despite being in majority, dont want to get into futile arguments and hassle with these right wing thugs bcos they are head cases. So the result is that the Salafist has been very successful in hijacking our religion. I am ashamed that we have let down our prophet to a degree that I am sure 99 per cent of the west has a very poor image of him based on misinformation which has been in part spread by the Salaf who's main desire is to drive a wedge between the west and the muslims. This is done with two things in mind: 1. Once the Muslims are isolated they will have no choice but to fall in with the salafists - a message they are trying very hard to ram down in many Arab countries; and 2. They want to and have succeeded in bringing the west into direct conflict with the Muslim countries so that they can behave like a protectionist mafia against the west (think why has Dubai not been bombed despite it being quite clearly a salafist pet hate?)... Ultimately it's all about power and money. Anyway I hope we will be able to come out of this phase. It's a subject close to my heart and we the majority will need to start speaking up - and already I see in Arab countries, even Saudi Arabia, there is a backlash against the Salaf. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by DriftingBack; Jan 31st 2013 at 10:29 am.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:38 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomikev
I just don't get it, I mean religion in general, any religion, it's just brainwashed conditioning done to influential childrens minds and should be banned as a form of child abuse. - I think it should be against the law globally to tell anyone about religion of any form until they are over 21, then let them make up their own minds.
i really dislike this kind of thinking. If you want to follow religion you should be left alone to it just like if you want to believe in nothing.

This extreme atheism whereby people almost want to convert others into atheists is just as bad as what the atheists themselves are trying to degenerate.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
i really dislike this kind of thinking. If you want to follow religion you should be left alone to it just like if you want to believe in nothing.

This extreme atheism whereby people almost want to convert others into atheists is just as bad as what the atheists themselves are trying to degenerate.
How does a child know what they want to do or believe though?

Hardly 'converting others to atheists'.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:47 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How does a child know what they want to do or believe though?

Hardly 'converting others to atheists'.
Totally true, but billions of kids through the ages believed in something and many didn't turn out as nut jobs.

If a family or society believe in something collectively, I see no reason that that could possibly help anyone to exclude a child from this.

Imagine if you had a family unit of 2 adults and 2 kids, one child was old enough to be told about the religion, the younger one not, dont you think that that exclusion would do even more harm?

I went to a Christian nursery, primary, seconday school and college. But today from my own trials and tribulations, I no longer really believe.

So I think just like a parent decides where a kid goes to school what they eat, who they see, what they do; that parent also has the right to teach their kids in whatever religion they see fit.

And as an adult who believes in a certain religion, they should never be felt to be morally or intellectually inferior just because they do believe in the face of angry indignant atheism.

Sadly I work with someone that is just such an atheist and its pretty difficult to be around him as he believes anyone that does believe in something is stupid.

That's really what i'm getting at.

Personally I would love to believe in something again, it makes you feel safe and guided, but I don't; but in the same breath I completely respect those that do have faith and almost feel envious for them.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldollard
Imagine if you had a family unit of 2 adults and 2 kids, one child was old enough to be told about the religion, the younger one not, dont you think that that exclusion would do even more harm?
Personally I don't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.