Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to Blighty...parents dead against it

Moving back to Blighty...parents dead against it

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:58 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Blighty...parents dead against it

Ah yes, my favourite pointless saying

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Now that would be very Un-Australian!!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ducktastic
Don't worry, I get it, on my first morning back in the Uk I drove to waitrose and wandered around the aisles beaming from ear to ear!!
what a sad bunch we are, we returned in March for a visit and My DIL said
" we are off to Tesco" I was in second heaven !!

Incidentally, that last visit was the deciding point for us, we came straight back and made plans to move back and we are off in November.

The power of Tesco
Old Jun 24th 2011, 8:45 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chris955
Something else that is a big problem on another forum is people who have never even lived in Australia giving people advise about life here and telling them how much things cost and how great everything is
Totally pees me off here in SA too...if you're not in the country, here and now, how can you be sure your perception or view is actually true and correct for today, and not based on historic bias or from what you've heard or read in the news/social networks etc....and we all know the dangers of believing what you read without assessing the source for its bias or validity in todays media age! LOL I guess social media is the same.

Some people are just all knowing I guess...LOL (and probably don't even own a passport LOL)
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Yeah, I guess it wouldnt have been much of a show if there were all these hurdles...its about living the dream...I heard Jeremy hardy on the radio (podcast) call it temperature based colonialism!! hehe!

I cannot believe how much getting sick worries me here,,,,no sick leave no free care...i feel fine but what if? so glad my dad had the NHS...what a worry it would have been to wait for those bills....
Are you sure you are living in Australia, or has Sydney opted out of the Commonwealth? There is the public health system and Medicare cards.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:05 am
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by aries
Are you sure you are living in Australia, or has Sydney opted out of the Commonwealth? There is the public health system and Medicare cards.
LOL There will never be public health in SA. The 5 million tax payers simply can't support the majority of non-tax paying folks......Not sure Mr Zuma thought through that in his election promises. DOH. So be thankful for small gestures. Last time I went to a state hospital here it was like something out of resident evil!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Location: Beautiful Garden Route of South Africa, hoping to return to equally beautiful Kent soon!
MagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really niceMagsB is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn
LOL There will never be public health in SA. The 5 million tax payers simply can't support the majority of non-tax paying folks......Not sure Mr Zuma thought through that in his election promises. DOH. So be thankful for small gestures. Last time I went to a state hospital here it was like something out of resident evil!
This is really one of our main concerns and reasons for returning to the UK. I honestly don't know whether we would be able to afford a medical aid when we retire. Especially if the new proposed national health system goes ahead, government will withdraw all subsidies to medical aids to force everyone to belong to the new nhs. And what guarantee do we have that the proposed nhs would be any better than the current state health system? I'm not prepared to take that chance!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

A bit confusing with your SA for South Africa and our SA for South Australia
Old Jun 24th 2011, 6:59 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

oopsie...will remember to not be lazy with the abreviated typing from now on....I couldn't live in South Australia, you know what their like.....and I've never even been there LOL
Old Jun 25th 2011, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

oopsie...will remember to not be lazy with the abreviated typing from now on....I couldn't live in South Australia, you know what their like.....and I've never even been there LOL
Use S.A. for South Africa and SA for South Australia.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:06 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Use S.A. for South Africa and SA for South Australia.
Ta for the tip chucky!! Will do.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
" we are off to Tesco" I was in second heaven !!
The power of Tesco
Maybe you don't realise just how powerful Tesco really IS in the United Kingdom! It appears to be a law unto itself, a commercial mammoth of gigantic proportions and somehow or other it seems to steam roller its way through all kinds of official local authority opposition and legal constraints whenever it puts forward any plans for a new store or the very considerable extension of an existing store in any given location.

There are hardly any towns of any size and with a population in excess of about 5,000 that do not contain a Tesco store, and many towns of only a slightly larger size not only have a main Tesco store on their outskirts but one or two or even more smaller Tesco Extra or Tesco Express stores within the centres. For example, Bicester, Oxfordshire - pop. 29,000 - has a huge Tesco superstore and five more smaller stores in the town area.

The local authority council and many other opponents of a proposed new Tesco store in Sheringham, Norfolk, fought tooth and nail to prevent it happening, but Tesco refused to be "beaten" and just wouln't accept "no" for an answer and used every trick in the book to win through - which it did. Sheringham now has a Tesco store.

Herefordshire County Council, along with Ledbury Town Council, is currently engaged in a "battle" with Tesco over its plans to considerably extend the current Tesco store in Ledbury and locate on a site in another area of the town, just off the by-pass and further away from the town centre. The council had previously and successfully and quite unusually prevented Tesco from opening up a smaller Tesco Express store in the town centre of Ledbury, but you can bet your life that, like in Sheringham, Tesco will eventually win this fight in Ledbury, too, and the town will have a brand new and much larger Tesco superstore further away from housing estates and the main shopping area where most of the current shopkeepers and traders are the most voceiferous of anti Tesco opponents - naturally enough.

Yes, Tesco is very powerful indeed!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:53 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Maybe you don't realise just how powerful Tesco really IS in the United Kingdom! It appears to be a law unto itself, a commercial mammoth of gigantic proportions and somehow or other it seems to steam roller its way through all kinds of official local authority opposition and legal constraints whenever it puts forward any plans for a new store or the very considerable extension of an existing store in any given location.

There are hardly any towns of any size and with a population in excess of about 5,000 that do not contain a Tesco store, and many towns of only a slightly larger size not only have a main Tesco store on their outskirts but one or two or even more smaller Tesco Extra or Tesco Express stores within the centres. For example, Bicester, Oxfordshire - pop. 29,000 - has a huge Tesco superstore and five more smaller stores in the town area.

The local authority council and many other opponents of a proposed new Tesco store in Sheringham, Norfolk, fought tooth and nail to prevent it happening, but Tesco refused to be "beaten" and just wouln't accept "no" for an answer and used every trick in the book to win through - which it did. Sheringham now has a Tesco store.

Herefordshire County Council, along with Ledbury Town Council, is currently engaged in a "battle" with Tesco over its plans to considerably extend the current Tesco store in Ledbury and locate on a site in another area of the town, just off the by-pass and further away from the town centre. The council had previously and successfully and quite unusually prevented Tesco from opening up a smaller Tesco Express store in the town centre of Ledbury, but you can bet your life that, like in Sheringham, Tesco will eventually win this fight in Ledbury, too, and the town will have a brand new and much larger Tesco superstore further away from housing estates and the main shopping area where most of the current shopkeepers and traders are the most voceiferous of anti Tesco opponents - naturally enough.

WOW do you work as their official spokesperson? If not go apply!!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

Sounds like the way WalMart runs in the USA.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 7:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving back to Blighty...parents dead against it

Originally Posted by diana97

We DO go to Europe all the time: Athens, Istanbul, Amalfi Coast, Morocco, Andalucia - each place as different and as exotic as the next. Australia is a mono-culture. Even my husband agrees. There is nothing like arriving in Paris off the Eurostar in London from the beautiful St Pancras. I always intended to move back to Canada. My mom is still there. I visit once a year and again, i keep my eyes wide open. As much as I love Canada, I adore London more.

This city has it all and I never stop telling people that. It is beautiful, leafy and civilised. Sure, people are pushy on the Tube but my London rule is to move one street north or south and the crowds disappear. The night before the Royal Wedding, I wandered down the Mall and talked to some Canadians on holiday. I truly pitied them for not living here. I work in Mayfair and sometimes, in the summer, I love nothing more than to walk home to Hammersmith through Hyde Park as the sun sets. I live in a nice apartment (we DON'T have a lot of money) and I cook most evenings. This city is so charming, it kills me sometimes. I find it easy to live here. Sure, there's crime but hand on heart, I experienced and saw more crime in Canada than i have the entire time I have lived in London. Don't believe everything the Daily Mail says.
Oooh, I was on Skype earlier today, chatting with my husband as he was walking through Hyde Park and I'll be arriving to meet up with him next week and staying in an hotel near Gloucester Rd tube station, it's a great location. I agree with everything you say about London, I love it too and slowly edging my way back to the UK . Although London is great, the landscape and architecture is so varied throughout the UK, so different to many of the cookie-cutter buildings here in the US. I have to go to Peterborough for a passport renewal next Friday so we're renting a car and have managed to book 2 nights at a B&B in north Norfolk...in a windmill next to the sea! I couldn't do that in New Jersey lol!

The proximity to the rest of Europe and north Africa is also a great thing about living in the UK, especially with the cheap flights and ferry crossings/Eurostar trains. The US, Canada and Australia is so vast that you can be on a plane for hours and still be in the same country...it's a bit monotonous tbh.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally pees me off here in SA too...if you're not in the country, here and now, how can you be sure your perception or view is actually true and correct for today, and not based on historic bias or from what you've heard or read in the news/social networks etc....and we all know the dangers of believing what you read without assessing the source for its bias or validity in todays media age! LOL I guess social media is the same.

Some people are just all knowing I guess...LOL (and probably don't even own a passport LOL)
Maddyjvn- can you please PM me with your thoughts on SA because my Sister in law is thinking about moving there, she is 57 and has a very different view, she has never even visited, a few pointers around health etc danger areas would be helpful thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.