Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back a bit differently ...

Moving back a bit differently ...

Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back a bit differently ...

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
Looking at the Lloyds international account . . . it looks like your address can be other than one in the UK . . . Am I wrong?

Please provide an original document to confirm your current residential address.

Acceptable documents include:

* A recent account statement from a recognised Bank, building society or credit card company.
* A recent telephone bill (not a mobile phone bill).
* A recent local authority rates or council tax bill.
* A recent utility bill (for example, an electricity bill or gas bill).
* A photographic driving licence or national identity card providing this document is not being used to verify your identity.

The document provided should show your name and current residential address. For joint account applications please provide a utility bill addressed to each party either jointly or individually.

I just caught this line: If you are resident in Australia, Japan or Singapore, we regret that we will not be able to process your application due to current financial regulatory restrictions in the countries concerned.
Most likely due to tax evasion.

Last edited by Potato_potato; Jan 24th 2008 at 1:52 pm. Reason: .
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Calandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
Looking at the Lloyds international account . . . it looks like your address can be other than one in the UK . . . Am I wrong?

Please provide an original document to confirm your current residential address.

Acceptable documents include:

* A recent account statement from a recognised Bank, building society or credit card company.
* A recent telephone bill (not a mobile phone bill).
* A recent local authority rates or council tax bill.
* A recent utility bill (for example, an electricity bill or gas bill).
* A photographic driving licence or national identity card providing this document is not being used to verify your identity.

The document provided should show your name and current residential address. For joint account applications please provide a utility bill addressed to each party either jointly or individually.

I just caught this line: If you are resident in Australia, Japan or Singapore, we regret that we will not be able to process your application due to current financial regulatory restrictions in the countries concerned.

Yes that has just caught me out ... however I am no longer resident in Australia for taxation purposes - so not too sure how that works?
I will go into my bank here in Monday morning and have emailed LloydsTSB so will see what their reply is.

I might have to go to Portugal or somewhere else quietish, warmish and cheapish in Europe, instead ...

How on earth do immigrant workers and live-in workers manage - presumably WITHOUT a bank account!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:55 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calandra
Hi there everyone!

I am moving back to the UK in a month's time after many years spent o'seas - most recently in Australia.

Problem is I don't have any family to stay with (have got a couple of old friends who thankfully I have kept in touch with through all these years!) or a "home" as such. Due to personal "stuff" I don't have any investments etc etc either. Lost those in escaping from a nasty relationship. I've got a few thousand dollars to tide me over and plenty of old-fashioned gumption, though! I also have teaching English to adults qualification (Cambridge CELTA) and experience, and lots of office administration experience. Years ago I was a registered nurse, and still have that qualification on paper, although I've not used it for so long that it is invalid in a practical sense of getting a job as a nurse. I'd have to retrain - no way at my age!

I've long since forgotten what my NI number is - though I do have one, having worked in the UK in my youth, and for a few years in the 1980's.

From what I read, it's difficult now to get a bank account set up in the UK without showing all sorts of stuff like utility bills (which obviously I won't have) or to rent a place without a decent credit score (which again I won't have!). I'm sure my friends will let me stay in their spare rooms until I get a job of sorts (being 59 won't make that easy but is life meant to be easy?).

So - where/what is the easiest bank account to set up (do they still to the Post Office jobbies?); how do I find my old NI number - and if this info is here on the site somewhere, can someone point me to it, please?

I'm sure I'll be able to find SOME sort of job, even if it's stacking shelves at Tescos, but the bank account and NI number look as if they might be a thorny obstacle to surmount ...

All and any help and suggestions are welcome!

Calandra
It must be scary but you sound as though you have a couple of half decent qualifications and office experience. Get to a few employment agencies. They are not always on the lookout for 20 year olds. i have worked in lots of offices and met many temps in their fifties. If you are okay with M/S Office etc you shouldn't have too much trouble finding work.

You will find renting as a single person has become very expensive and prohibitive in most major cities though I am afraid. Many people are now house sharing, it is no longer the preserve of students. We are moving back to Lancashire however. Rossendale is still affordable we have recently discovered. Google it. You can probably rent a one bed flat for around 300 pcm. Not sure how it is in other rural areas in say, the south of england. Again though, google it.

Regarding NI number. I can never remember mine. Give the ILR a bell and tell them you have forgotten it and why. Shouldn't be a problem and you never really need to show your card when applying for a job, like you do here in the US. So long as you have the number you will be okay.

Bank accounts. I am in the same boat. Try the co-op bank though, they tend to be more helpful. I have worked with a lot of young refugees in the past who had trouble getting bank accounts and we always refered them to the co-op.

So long as ou have aplace to stay until you get yourself sorted you should be okay. Try not to let it get you down and look at it as the latest big adventure. You are never too old for a bit of adventuring. All in all good luck in your latest mission.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Calandra, sorry, hellish day at work! Will get the info for you tomorrow!
Have sent you a pm. Hope it helps.
Good luck!