Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back a bit differently ...

Moving back a bit differently ...

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:32 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Moving back a bit differently ...

Can I ask Fleaflyfloflum - did you use the address you were staying at - was it your sister?

We are just opening an offshore account with Lloyds TSB with the intention of transferring to UK when we go over end of the year, but we won't have an address (unless I use my cousin) immediately, since we will have to look for furnished flat or something to rent. Just the address bit I was wondering about.

Also have been reading the bit on work for the 'mature' which we are and will need to find some, so that has been interesting too.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Calandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Calandra, there are loads of agencies looking for care workers & lots of live-in jobs which maybe of use whilst you don't have a place to live of your own.
If you would like some contact details, just pm me & I will get them from work.

Good luck to you with your move!
Thanks heaps: I don't seem able to send PM's yet - probably because I've not been a member long enough .... I will need to make some more posts I think!

I had wondered about living-in type posts, at least for a few months.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say try the temping agencies as well - I know they were different but my boys both got really good service from them. They advertise for people with office experience all the time and it seems that many temp jobs go on to be permanent.

I would happily recommend my bank - the Co-op. It doesnt seem to charge me fees at all but I may just be lucky there I guess. The DSs didnt have any trouble with either Lloyds or Barclays - they werent living there permanently at the time either so not sure how they managed to get accounts.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

DO not rely on LlyodsTSB. There are no certainties when it comes to opening a UK bank account, especially when you're jobless without a permanent address.

My Australian partner was only given a basic account with Lloyds even though she had a job as a teacher, a UK lease and utilities in her name. Without any of these they wouldn't have helped at all. This was in one of their Edinburgh branches. They said the could only offer a basic account as she only had new UK credit history..

The basic account only allowed for withdrawals from their branch ATM. EFT wasn't even allowed in shops, so she would always need to carry cash on her to go shopping etc. People don't realise how easy they have it moving to Aus.

Anyway, hopefully it will be an easier process for you though. I'm sure your senior age may help matters.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:55 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
Can I ask Fleaflyfloflum - did you use the address you were staying at - was it your sister?

We are just opening an offshore account with Lloyds TSB with the intention of transferring to UK when we go over end of the year, but we won't have an address (unless I use my cousin) immediately, since we will have to look for furnished flat or something to rent. Just the address bit I was wondering about.

Also have been reading the bit on work for the 'mature' which we are and will need to find some, so that has been interesting too.
Sorry yourt partner had problems Potato. Not sure why that was, maybe something to do with not having UK passport is all i can think of. I certainly did not have a job to go to. I was staying with my daughter and had no address of my own as i had only been back in the coutnry a very short while....very strange.

I decided to go check out the website a bit more and came up with something interesting for you Calandra. Lloyds do an International account. I was shocked to discover you only need 100 GB pounds to open it!! Most of these international accounts elesewhere want large deposits. Looks very interesting and if you could open one here before going back I am sure that would also help your case when you return. Take a look here for more details

http://www.lloydstsb-offshore.com/in...ationalaccount
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:15 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

I would also recommend Lloyds - I turned up as an Aussie national with no job or permanent address (was staying with my boyfriend) and they welcomed me with open arms. I took in with me my passport, original copies of my Australian bank statements / credit card statements etc for the previous 6 months as well as a letter of introduction from my Australian bank and everything was sorted within half an hour. Was given a current account with 100 quid overdraft. Debit card was issued about a week later.

I've also had some experience dealing with HSBC with international accounts and would definitely NOT recommend them as a bank under any circumstances.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calandra
Thanks heaps: I don't seem able to send PM's yet - probably because I've not been a member long enough .... I will need to make some more posts I think!

I had wondered about living-in type posts, at least for a few months.
I will get you some contact details when I am at work today. A lot of the agencies use people from abroad so you should not have a problem setting something up. I will pm you later so get posting!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Sorry yourt partner had problems Potato. Not sure why that was, maybe something to do with not having UK passport is all i can think of.
They said it was due to only new UK credit history. Maybe she just got a strict branch.

At the time we thought she was lucky to even get a basic account, as one of my aussie mates could not get any account at all in the UK, even though he was employed full-time as a chef. He didn't have a lease (he was sharing) so no one would touch him. Once again, this was in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:45 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Calandra

Regarding banking. I have been away for a good few years and spent 4mths last year back in blighty planning our return from Aus.
I just walked into a Lloyds bank explained my situation, showed them my passport and 30 minutes later I walked out with a fully functioning current account including a small overdraft facility. They are the most helpful bank I have ever been to.

www.lloydstsb.com
Flea is absolutely right here - my daughter trecked around every high street bank when we returned last year - none of them could help because she couldn't provide proof of address. She walked into Lloyds TSB and came out with a full current account including £50 overdraft and a debit card. She opened it with a fiver and her passport.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I will get you some contact details when I am at work today. A lot of the agencies use people from abroad so you should not have a problem setting something up. I will pm you later so get posting!
Calandra, sorry, hellish day at work! Will get the info for you tomorrow!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Flea is absolutely right here - my daughter trecked around every high street bank when we returned last year - none of them could help because she couldn't provide proof of address. She walked into Lloyds TSB and came out with a full current account including £50 overdraft and a debit card. She opened it with a fiver and her passport.
The Lloyds TSB website says proof of address is required to open an account.

I emailed Lloyds stating I was a British citizen returning to the UK after a few years away in oz. They replied and said I will need a lease and/or utilities bills in my name due to the introduction of anti money laundering laws after 911.

Perhaps they're using discretion at different branches on a case by case basis.

It's worth noting if they're opening accounts without proof of address they're in breach of the laws and I assume head office is not aware this is going on.

I just hope it doesn't come back to bite them.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Potato_potato
The Lloyds TSB website says proof of address is required to open an account.

I emailed Lloyds stating I was a British citizen returning to the UK after a few years away in oz. They replied and said I will need a lease and/or utilities bills in my name due to the introduction of anti money laundering laws after 911.

Perhaps they're using discretion at different branches on a case by case basis.

It's worth noting if they're opening accounts without proof of address they're in breach of the laws and I assume head office is not aware this is going on.

I just hope it doesn't come back to bite them.
I am totally puzzled, now, as to how ANYONE sets up an account in the UK if that is the case. How about people who live in a rented room without a lease, or who have pre-pay meters and therefore NEVER get any utility bills? A man or woman whose spouse or live-in partner has the lease and bills sent in the PARTNER's name? What about the multitude of people who have live-in jobs, or adult children living with parents - no lease, no utility bills ...

This is getting me quite worried now.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

I decided to go check out the website a bit more and came up with something interesting for you Calandra. Lloyds do an International account. I was shocked to discover you only need 100 GB pounds to open it!! Most of these international accounts elesewhere want large deposits. Looks very interesting and if you could open one here before going back I am sure that would also help your case when you return. Take a look here for more details

Thanks FFF - that is interesting indeed! Although I'll be leaving Oz by the middle of February, I'll be spending a few weeks in Asia before arriving in the UK so I think I will set that a/c up this weekend then at least it will have been in existence for more than a month before I get back. I need an international a/c anyway, as I will probably be looking for English teaching jobs overseas in the new northern hemisphere school year (ie September).
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Calandra
I am totally puzzled, now, as to how ANYONE sets up an account in the UK if that is the case. How about people who live in a rented room without a lease, or who have pre-pay meters and therefore NEVER get any utility bills? A man or woman whose spouse or live-in partner has the lease and bills sent in the PARTNER's name? What about the multitude of people who have live-in jobs, or adult children living with parents - no lease, no utility bills ...

This is getting me quite worried now.
If sharing most banks expect you to be put on the lease and/or utility accounts. It's just a matter of going in to the Real Estate and having a new lease drawn up or calling BT etc and having your name added to the phone account.

Hopefully Lloyds will use discretion with you like they have with others by the looks of it. My warning was just not to "rely" on it, as technically proof of address is required for ALL accounts - this is the law.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:40 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the Lloyds international account . . . it looks like your address can be other than one in the UK . . . Am I wrong?

Please provide an original document to confirm your current residential address.

Acceptable documents include:

* A recent account statement from a recognised Bank, building society or credit card company.
* A recent telephone bill (not a mobile phone bill).
* A recent local authority rates or council tax bill.
* A recent utility bill (for example, an electricity bill or gas bill).
* A photographic driving licence or national identity card providing this document is not being used to verify your identity.

The document provided should show your name and current residential address. For joint account applications please provide a utility bill addressed to each party either jointly or individually.

I just caught this line: If you are resident in Australia, Japan or Singapore, we regret that we will not be able to process your application due to current financial regulatory restrictions in the countries concerned.

Last edited by SarahInTX; Jan 24th 2008 at 1:41 pm. Reason: Added the bit about Australia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.