Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back a bit differently ...

Wikiposts

Moving back a bit differently ...

Old Jan 20th 2008, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Calandra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back a bit differently ...

Hi there everyone!

I am moving back to the UK in a month's time after many years spent o'seas - most recently in Australia.

Problem is I don't have any family to stay with (have got a couple of old friends who thankfully I have kept in touch with through all these years!) or a "home" as such. Due to personal "stuff" I don't have any investments etc etc either. Lost those in escaping from a nasty relationship. I've got a few thousand dollars to tide me over and plenty of old-fashioned gumption, though! I also have teaching English to adults qualification (Cambridge CELTA) and experience, and lots of office administration experience. Years ago I was a registered nurse, and still have that qualification on paper, although I've not used it for so long that it is invalid in a practical sense of getting a job as a nurse. I'd have to retrain - no way at my age!

I've long since forgotten what my NI number is - though I do have one, having worked in the UK in my youth, and for a few years in the 1980's.

From what I read, it's difficult now to get a bank account set up in the UK without showing all sorts of stuff like utility bills (which obviously I won't have) or to rent a place without a decent credit score (which again I won't have!). I'm sure my friends will let me stay in their spare rooms until I get a job of sorts (being 59 won't make that easy but is life meant to be easy?).

So - where/what is the easiest bank account to set up (do they still to the Post Office jobbies?); how do I find my old NI number - and if this info is here on the site somewhere, can someone point me to it, please?

I'm sure I'll be able to find SOME sort of job, even if it's stacking shelves at Tescos, but the bank account and NI number look as if they might be a thorny obstacle to surmount ...

All and any help and suggestions are welcome!

Calandra
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back a bit differently ...

I wish I could help you but I'm afraid I am at a loss.

I just want you to know that you are not being ignored and I am sure someone will read this and be able to advice you.

Good luck x
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I would be in your situation if I was able to go home, got no idea where my NI number is. Found this on one site which may be a help

What is the National Insurance number card?

The National Insurance number card is a plastic card, which is issued, automatically when you first apply for a National Insurance number.

It is meant to be a reminder of your number and nothing else. It does not provide proof of your identity and should not be used as such.

If you live abroad a card will not be sent to you. If you live in the UK but have a temporary or unsafe address you will be able to collect your card from your nearest DWP office, or Social Security office in Northern Ireland about 8 weeks after your application is made.

If you live in Wales, you may ask for your card to be printed in both English and Welsh. Tell the office where you apply for your National Insurance number that you would like a bilingual card.

Take good care of your card. You will only be sent one replacement if you lose it.

What do I do if I have lost my National Insurance number card?

Report it to your nearest DWP office, Social Security office in Northern Ireland or HM Revenue & Customs office. If you want a replacement card you will need to complete an application form. Remember that you are only allowed one replacement.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:49 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calandra
I've long since forgotten what my NI number is - though I do have one, having worked in the UK in my youth, and for a few years in the 1980's.
Hi Calandra:

I was in a similar boat to you -- have only worked in the UK back in the late 70s (mostly at uni) -- and didn't have any idea what my NI number is.

I called the number for information on the Department for Work and Pensions page and a very nice chap gave me an address to write to.

HMRC [HM Revenue and Customs]
EWC-BP3001
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
NA98 1ZZ

He told me I should give details of previous addresses, places/dates I worked in the UK, and names I would have used (for me, maiden name and married name). The guy also said that a copy of my birth certificate wouldn't hurt, but I didn't send it.

I got a reply about 5 weeks after I sent my request. It said

"Thank you for your letter of . . . I am writing to inform you that unfortunately we cannot issue National Insurance cards to addresses abroad. For security reasons we can only issue cards to permanent UK residential addresses.

I can however issue a letter confirming your National Insurance number, which is enclosed. Should you be asked to provide evidence of your National Insurance number, this letter will be more than sufficient and works in the same way as the card."

HTH.

Sarah
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:59 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Calandra
I believe once you've had a NI number it remains yours for life. When we returned to the UK from Canada I got my original number (can't remember how I went about it, but I think my employer applied). Anyhow here's a link which might be useful

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/

Just as a matter of interest I returned to Canada after an absence of 18 years, and my original SIN number (same as NI) is valid.

Good luck with your plans.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:17 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Calandra

Regarding banking. I have been away for a good few years and spent 4mths last year back in blighty planning our return from Aus.
I just walked into a Lloyds bank explained my situation, showed them my passport and 30 minutes later I walked out with a fully functioning current account including a small overdraft facility. They are the most helpful bank I have ever been to.

www.lloydstsb.com
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

Re. banks - you can always open up a current account - legally, all banks should offer a basic account without doing a credit check (which you would prob. fail due to being overseas), but you would have no debit card. Mostly you will get a debit card within 6 months, as long as you don't start writing cheques that bounce etc. Not all banks actually do this however, so look around. If you go to the forums at www.moneysavingexpert.co.uk, there's plently of people there that would be able to help you further.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:53 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there everyone!

I am moving back to the UK in a month's time after many years spent o'seas - most recently in Australia.

Problem is I don't have any family to stay with (have got a couple of old friends who thankfully I have kept in touch with through all these years!) or a "home" as such. Due to personal "stuff" I don't have any investments etc etc either. Lost those in escaping from a nasty relationship. I've got a few thousand dollars to tide me over and plenty of old-fashioned gumption, though! I also have teaching English to adults qualification (Cambridge CELTA) and experience, and lots of office administration experience. Years ago I was a registered nurse, and still have that qualification on paper, although I've not used it for so long that it is invalid in a practical sense of getting a job as a nurse. I'd have to retrain - no way at my age!

From what I read, it's difficult now to get a bank account set up in the UK without showing all sorts of stuff like utility bills (which obviously I won't have) or to rent a place without a decent credit score (which again I won't have!). I'm sure my friends will let me stay in their spare rooms until I get a job of sorts (being 59 won't make that easy but is life meant to be easy?).

So - where/what is the easiest bank account to set up (do they still to the Post Office jobbies?); how do I find my old NI number - and if this info is here on the site somewhere, can someone point me to it, please?

I'm sure I'll be able to find SOME sort of job, even if it's stacking shelves at Tescos, but the bank account and NI number look as if they might be a thorny obstacle to surmount ...

All and any help and suggestions are welcome!

Calandra
Hi

If you have lots of admin experience why don't you try looking at your local council websites and also your NHS trust. My friend who is going home next week was looking for a job online yesterday and we found plenty of admin jobs at various hospitals. It might be a start.

Also not sure where you are moving to but look online for check in jobs with airlines if you are near an airport.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crystal23
Hi

If you have lots of admin experience why don't you try looking at your local council websites and also your NHS trust. My friend who is going home next week was looking for a job online yesterday and we found plenty of admin jobs at various hospitals. It might be a start.

Also not sure where you are moving to but look online for check in jobs with airlines if you are near an airport.
Hi rebanking and proving your address etc:

I have a heck of a time opening a bank account both at lloyds as well as Nationwide. They all wanted proof of address.

Not that I am a bit wiser;;; it is much easier to provide proof. They do not accept any online/printed statements.

I am not sure which country you are in, but you could forward address for your current credit card or a bank account to your friend's house. This way you will have a proof of address for everything.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

You can set up a UK bank account with HSBC while you're still in oz. However, You will need to make an initial deposit of 1500 quid and it takes roughly 6 weeks processing time from start to finish. You just need to show ID and fill in the form at your local HSBC branch. The funds can obviously be accessed when the set up is complete. When you arrive in the UK, you go to the HSBC in London to complete the set up.

Your will receive a current account with a debit card to use at any cashpoint/EFT terminal.

You have 4 weeks to go, if you can spare the 1500 quid for 6 weeks It will save alot of hassle on the other end.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:02 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz
Re. banks - you can always open up a current account - legally, all banks should offer a basic account without doing a credit check (which you would prob. fail due to being overseas), but you would have no debit card. Mostly you will get a debit card within 6 months, as long as you don't start writing cheques that bounce etc. Not all banks actually do this however, so look around. If you go to the forums at www.moneysavingexpert.co.uk, there's plently of people there that would be able to help you further.
As i stated above you CAN get an account. Mine has a visa debit card. I have a cheque book and overdraft. I had only been back in UK 2 weeks, had no permanent address as i was staying with my daughter.
I showed them my passport. The lady went off to check a few things, came back, i filled out the form, gave her a measely 5 pound note and it was opened.
This is not a basic account, but Lloyds TSB Select current account. See here http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_acc...e_accounts.asp

I pay 7gbp a month and it gives me AA breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance and card protection. Although it says there only 50gbp overdraft, i was given 100.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Great info, thanks.

Unfortunately (again due to relationship issues) I don't think it would be wise for me to have an HSBC account - just being a tad over-cautious and paranoid here ...

Fleaflyfloflum, can I ask if this was a small town branch of Lloyds/TSB that gave you the account?

I am wondering about a Credit Union, or maybe an ex-building society, as being a bit "easier" as it were.

Of course the other problem in getting a job is that I'm 59 - although I am led to believe that might make getting rental housing (eg Housing Association for the over-55's) somewhat easier. Swings and roundabouts! I susppose I could be a medical secretary - I have no problem with terminology having worked as a nurse for the best part of 20 years from the age of 17!

I keep looking at the GOOD things. I can go ANYWHERE in Britain or Europe. I've always wanted to live in places like the Cotswolds, Dorset or the West Country - I CAN! Even if I only rent a room somewhere!

Maybe I could teach English in the Algarve or the Alps ... Always look on the bright side eh? ...
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:45 pm
I don't give a damn

Great info, thanks.

Unfortunately (again due to relationship issues) I don't think it would be wise for me to have an HSBC account - just being a tad over-cautious and paranoid here ...

Fleaflyfloflum, can I ask if this was a small town branch of Lloyds/TSB that gave you the account?

I am wondering about a Credit Union, or maybe an ex-building society, as being a bit "easier" as it were.

Of course the other problem in getting a job is that I'm 59 - although I am led to believe that might make getting rental housing (eg Housing Association for the over-55's) somewhat easier. Swings and roundabouts! I susppose I could be a medical secretary - I have no problem with terminology having worked as a nurse for the best part of 20 years from the age of 17!

I keep looking at the GOOD things. I can go ANYWHERE in Britain or Europe. I've always wanted to live in places like the Cotswolds, Dorset or the West Country - I CAN! Even if I only rent a room somewhere!

Maybe I could teach English in the Algarve or the Alps ... Always look on the bright side eh? ...
Hi Calandra

It was Southend town centre branch i opened it, but i discovered i could have also done it at Rayleigh near where i was staying. I just happened to have to go to Southend to a recruitment agency and walked in there on a long shot thinking they would tell me to get lost.. Apparently all of Lloyds TSB are happy to do it i am told. I would maybe send them an email explain your circumstances and see what they say. Not sure what online service is like, but in both high street branches i have been to, I have had the best customer service in years. Thoroughly nice bunch of mainly middle aged women in both places. In fact the manageress was a 40 something female called Dawn.

As for jobs, i'd say if you have your sort of skills you would find work fairly easily. Ageism is less prevalent there and a lot of people prefer more mature staff these days as they are more reliable. Especially as children have flown the nest in most cases.

Good luck!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

FFFF - that is MOST helpful and hopeful. No utility bills from non-existent property, no letter from non-existent landlord - no nothing needed ...

I think I will email them as you suggest and tell them where I will be returning to, and when. I'll go into my bank here, the ANZ, who are delightful, and ask them if I can have some sort of letter or reference just to say I am in good financial standing or whatever it is called. I'm sure that'd help, too.

Also the thing about ageism ... it's sounding better and better. This move is semi-reluctant on my part for all sorts of silly, superficial reasons, but very, very necessary to be honest.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Calandra, there are loads of agencies looking for care workers & lots of live-in jobs which maybe of use whilst you don't have a place to live of your own.
If you would like some contact details, just pm me & I will get them from work.

Good luck to you with your move!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.