moving back after 10yrs

Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice
Default Re: moving back after 10yrs

Originally Posted by Beedubya
At this stage could be near Heathrow (job) or Cheshire (don't take the job).

My children are fully fledged adults in their 30's now.

We did go back to the UK when they were 12 and 15 and to be honest it was awful, they carried on so much we ended coming back to Australia after one year. Looking back we should have just moved to another part of England but you can't turn back the clock. You see my kids were very much into the beach scene here and we moved back to the grim Northern town where all the family live and they HATED it.

However on talking to my daughter just recently she told me that we shouldn't have listened to them, that we should have stuck it out there and they would have had more family life instead of which we have nobody out here.........see you just can't win..........
AWWWHH ! i dont know what to do !!! HELPPPPPPP
my son is excited to be able to get on a train or in the car every other weekend and go and see his gran-parents,so thats one good sign.He is looking forward to getting more animals,as its so hard here to get a guinea pig or any other animal that usually stays in the garden as the weather is so brutal.He wants chickens and another little dog and a goat.I dont mind getting him those aslong as he will be happy. Where we are is out of town,so he spends most of his time on the pc.The weather is very cold with tons of snow,so he cant go sking.......winter lasts 6 months.
Oh i think we should try it,as he doesnt have lots of friends anyhow.....and not where we live.Its tough!!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2011, 8:49 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
AWWWHH ! i dont know what to do !!! HELPPPPPPP
my son is excited to be able to get on a train or in the car every other weekend and go and see his gran-parents,so thats one good sign.He is looking forward to getting more animals,as its so hard here to get a guinea pig or any other animal that usually stays in the garden as the weather is so brutal.He wants chickens and another little dog and a goat.I dont mind getting him those aslong as he will be happy. Where we are is out of town,so he spends most of his time on the pc.The weather is very cold with tons of snow,so he cant go sking.......winter lasts 6 months.
Oh i think we should try it,as he doesnt have lots of friends anyhow.....and not where we live.Its tough!!!!!

Yes you should try it, it sounds like your son has a very different lifestyle to that of my kids, surfies and all that.

And hey if it doesn't work out you can always return, doesn't have to be FOR EVER. Of course you will lose lots of money, but that's what happens when you ping pong.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

After 10yrs in Alberta,we have finally made our minds up to move back to the UK. Although we have made our minds up,we are still scared to death of the move.We have done well in Canada and not regretted it at all,but its never felt that this is our forever home.My OH has always wanted to go back,but i did feel quite settled until a few years ago.I really didnt know where i wanted to move to, as i hadnt been back home for over 5yrs.However i did go back last year and i knew that thats what had been missing.......the people,the country side,the food,the history and most of all family and friends.
I worry about my 13yrs old son fitting in with the UK life,as all he has known is Canada.
I hope that we can decide on a nice area of the North West,and it be smooth sailing after the adjustment period.
Is there anyone that can give me any advice after retuning to the UK?
many thanks
Hi Cumbrian Lass

We moved back from Ontario in 2005 with 10 &12 year old sons after 8.5 year in Canada. I was offered jobs in Cumbria and near Oxford and took a job in Oxford. My 2 sons had not problem setting in at the last year of primary and first year of secondary school. They were both well looked after by other pupils at their new schools and being from Canada other kids wanted to be their friends. My eldest lost his accent with a year and youngest around 18 months. I think they adapted better than us as adult.

Regards

Hudd
Old Jan 14th 2011, 9:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huddm
Hi Cumbrian Lass

We moved back from Ontario in 2005 with 10 &12 year old sons after 8.5 year in Canada. I was offered jobs in Cumbria and near Oxford and took a job in Oxford. My 2 sons had not problem setting in at the last year of primary and first year of secondary school. They were both well looked after by other pupils at their new schools and being from Canada other kids wanted to be their friends. My eldest lost his accent with a year and youngest around 18 months. I think they adapted better than us as adult.

Regards

Hudd
I should add that my son who was 12 at the time settled down and fitted in much better than my 15 year old TEENAGE daughter. I don't know if that is an age or gender thing or maybe both?

Since then he went back to the UK when he was 17 and lived there for a year and then came back to Australia, and has just been for a months holiday here and there since.

He is now 36 and went over for a funeral in October 2010 and is still there, funnily enough he is the most "English" out of both my kids yet he was only 6 when we first emigrated and my daughter was 9. She is very much more Australian in her outlook.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes you should try it, it sounds like your son has a very different lifestyle to that of my kids, surfies and all that.

And hey if it doesn't work out you can always return, doesn't have to be FOR EVER. Of course you will lose lots of money, but that's what happens when you ping pong.
yes your right we can always come back..........
I have a friend that just lost his daughter to a young age........it makes me think "life is too short" not to go with your heart and spend some more time with family and friends.We have done a bit out the country and now we can do a bit in the UK,not to say we wont do any more travelling in the future.Keep in touch !!!!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by huddm
Hi Cumbrian Lass

Regards

Hudd
Oh thats good to know ....thank you!
my son said he didnt want a Canadian accent,so is still as British as us.Which is very unusual ,seen as he was 3yrs old when we moved here lol. He is a likable kid so i dont think he will have a problem,other than he is a bit quiet until you get to know him lol.
We use to live in Cumbria but want to try some where a bit more central,and easier for hubby to commute to work....where ever he gets a job.
How long have you been back over there now?
do you have any regrets?
thanks again
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Yes thats what all the friends that have recently moved back are saying too !!!! they dont regret it at all.It takes a while to settle back into the way of life and it takes a while for their children to settle at school,but when those hurdles are achieved they luv it!!!!
where abouts did you move back to in the UK?
I went back to Scotland, my family are from the islands and there's no work there so I'm in Glasgow, not the prettiest of cities but well located for seeing my people and good transport links to rest of UK/Europe.

I did consider a few different locations eg in South of England etc, for lifestyle reasons and job opportunities, but in the end decided that I didn't want to be a 9 hour drive away from people (nothing compared to the 40 hour door to door marathon slog of when I was in Aus but still...).

There's been a few mornings where it's been -10C and I'm waiting for a train in the snow and pitch dark where I have questioned this decision!!! But mostly it's worked well for me, I can spend plenty of time with my family this way. and that's a major reason why I moved back so it's all good.

Sounds like you are going back for similar reasons OP, and honestly there's no substitute for being able to SEE your people, even just having a cuppa and a natter.

Skype and webcams you can keep - in the next fortnight I'm going shoe shopping with my mum and doing crosswords with my dad, I'm painting a house with my brother and drinking wine with my best friend. All in real life and no dramatic airport farewell in sight!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:10 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

After 10yrs in Alberta,we have finally made our minds up to move back to the UK. Although we have made our minds up,we are still scared to death of the move.We have done well in Canada and not regretted it at all,but its never felt that this is our forever home.My OH has always wanted to go back,but i did feel quite settled until a few years ago.I really didnt know where i wanted to move to, as i hadnt been back home for over 5yrs.However i did go back last year and i knew that thats what had been missing.......the people,the country side,the food,the history and most of all family and friends.
I worry about my 13yrs old son fitting in with the UK life,as all he has known is Canada.
I hope that we can decide on a nice area of the North West,and it be smooth sailing after the adjustment period.
Is there anyone that can give me any advice after retuning to the UK?
many thanks
Hi Cumbrian Lass
I recently moved back (only 6 weeks ago) and to the north west of England.

So far it has been fantastic and seeing family and friends has been wonderful, especially over the holidays. We're now job hunting and trying to get organised with a house and stuff but it is all INCREDIBLE. It's so beautiful here, even on a rainy day. We've been for walks every day into the countryside and traveled into the Peak District for lovely drives.

Life here is so very varied compared to Canada. It has its faults but I find it easy to avoid what I dislike. I don't buy crappy papers and magazines and I avoid towns and cities. People are super friendly and sincere. Out on a walk the other day I was invited to a book club by people I was chatting with while our dogs played. That never happened on the island and that was what I was missing all this time.

So, for me it has been great. I was scared at times on my return but hold fast to the reasons why you're returning - friends, family.....

And my son is so, so happy at school. The classrooms are alive and interesting, the teachers are dynamic and fun, the kids are sweet and friendly. He is loving it. I'm sure your son will settle in quickly and he will be considered very cool with his accent I'm sure!

Best of luck.

Last edited by lilybilly101; Jan 15th 2011 at 2:12 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 2:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandergirl
I went back to Scotland, my family are from the islands and there's no work there so I'm in Glasgow, not the prettiest of cities but well located for seeing my people and good transport links to rest of UK/Europe.

I did consider a few different locations eg in South of England etc, for lifestyle reasons and job opportunities, but in the end decided that I didn't want to be a 9 hour drive away from people (nothing compared to the 40 hour door to door marathon slog of when I was in Aus but still...).

There's been a few mornings where it's been -10C and I'm waiting for a train in the snow and pitch dark where I have questioned this decision!!! But mostly it's worked well for me, I can spend plenty of time with my family this way. and that's a major reason why I moved back so it's all good.

Sounds like you are going back for similar reasons OP, and honestly there's no substitute for being able to SEE your people, even just having a cuppa and a natter.

Skype and webcams you can keep - in the next fortnight I'm going shoe shopping with my mum and doing crosswords with my dad, I'm painting a house with my brother and drinking wine with my best friend. All in real life and no dramatic airport farewell in sight!
May be a dumb question, but are you Scottish/originally from Glasgow? Or did your folks move there from elsewhere?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
May be a dumb question, but are you Scottish/originally from Glasgow? Or did your folks move there from elsewhere?
Am Scottish but not from Glasgow, am a country girl. Get away for weekends and get out the city as much as I can. I now have an enviable collection of waterproof clothing and footwear...!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 4:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Am Scottish but not from Glasgow, am a country girl. Get away for weekends and get out the city as much as I can. I now have an enviable collection of waterproof clothing and footwear...!
I hear you. In the States it was my boots and Gore-tex leggings that never saw the light of day, whereas here it's my shorts and T-shirts that are permanently stuck in a bag in the attic!
Old Jan 15th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond reputeSentosa has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds wonderfull I can't wait to sell our house here in Florida then I'll be enjoying all the things you are.So glad everything is going well for you.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sentosa
Sounds wonderfull I can't wait to sell our house here in Florida then I'll be enjoying all the things you are.So glad everything is going well for you.
yeah us too !!!!! even more so today as its -35 and just tons of snow
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Aus I had a vast collection of 3/4 length trousers, some corporate some for wearing at home, over here I have 2 pairs but had to buy an extra pair for going away for a long weekend last year to Europe. Which have not seen the light of day since I returned.

I'm all for dressing seasonally appropriate duroving - talking of which what's wrong with the youngsters in this country, -5C and they are in light/no jackets, and the girls in ultra minis and sliding around in trannie style stilettos!
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:23 pm
Ping-ponger

In Aus I had a vast collection of 3/4 length trousers, some corporate some for wearing at home, over here I have 2 pairs but had to buy an extra pair for going away for a long weekend last year to Europe. Which have not seen the light of day since I returned.

I'm all for dressing seasonally appropriate duroving - talking of which what's wrong with the youngsters in this country, -5C and they are in light/no jackets, and the girls in ultra minis and sliding around in trannie style stilettos!
Adolescents are metabolic blast furnaces - just try standing next to one, they throw off an amazing amount of heat!

(I'm not really kidding - I remember as a teaanager getting grief for not wearing a coat but I remember at the time not really being cold).

But yes, even so, I'm gobsmacked at what the schoolkids here wear in cold, wet Glasgow in the middle of winter!

[err, what are tranny-style stillettoes? - I don't get out much]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.