Reload this Page >

Moving back after 10+ years

Wikiposts

Moving back after 10+ years

Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:33 am
Just Joined

jellycube is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving back after 10+ years

Hi all, found you through a Google search and a lot of stuff has been very informative. Here's where I'm coming from:

I was born in the UK, both my parents are British citizens, and their parents, and their parents etc.

At the age of 9, we relocated to Hong Kong, where I completed primary & secondary education. Then at 18, I moved to the USA to go to university. That is done now, and at the end of the month I shall be moving to London. My main question regards the National Insurance number, which I did not automatically receive as I wasn't in the UK. I know I need it to pay taxes (and consequently be employed). Am I correct in thinking I'm still a British Citizen even though I haven't resided there in a while? How does one go about obtaining a National Insurance number? Is there anything else I should know/need to do to get set up?

Any help is much appreciated !
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 5:43 am
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back after 10+ years

Originally Posted by jellycube
Hi all, found you through a Google search and a lot of stuff has been very informative. Here's where I'm coming from:

I was born in the UK, both my parents are British citizens, and their parents, and their parents etc.

At the age of 9, we relocated to Hong Kong, where I completed primary & secondary education. Then at 18, I moved to the USA to go to university. That is done now, and at the end of the month I shall be moving to London. My main question regards the National Insurance number, which I did not automatically receive as I wasn't in the UK. I know I need it to pay taxes (and consequently be employed). Am I correct in thinking I'm still a British Citizen even though I haven't resided there in a while? How does one go about obtaining a National Insurance number? Is there anything else I should know/need to do to get set up?

First off let me welcome you to BE. There are some wonderful people on here and I'm pretty sure it won't be long before you start getting answers to your questions. I'm far from being the expert so I'm sure there will be someone who knows the right thing to say. LOL

Do you have a UK passport??? From what I have learned about the NI number, you can apply for one upon your return, or your employer would apply for one on your behalf once you start a job. As I said, I'm sure there will be someone to point out if I'm wrong in any way.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moving back after 10+ years

Originally Posted by jellycube
Am I correct in thinking I'm still a British Citizen even though I haven't resided there in a while? How does one go about obtaining a National Insurance number? Is there anything else I should know/need to do to get set up?

Yes, you are a British Citizen.

Look here for information on getting a National Insurance number.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number