Reload this Page >

Moving Back in 6 Weeks - Getting Nervous

Moving Back in 6 Weeks - Getting Nervous

Old Jun 30th 2011, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Back in 6 Weeks - Getting Nervous

Originally Posted by Barbara1133
Thanks so, so much, everyone! Sunshine, Brigette, Curleytops, Sally, Paranoid - your advice really helped! I haven't been able to understand why on earth I should suddenly start feeling sad about leaving the USA, but of course, it makes perfect sense now. I've wanted to leave for so long now but, having been here so long, I've got used to things here and have just begun to realise (see, I'm already spelling the English way) what a huge move I'm making.

Paranoid, I had exactly the same attitude as you, which is why it was so puzzling for me to understand my present feelings. I was so anxious to get my move in place, and now it's almost here, there are so many conflicting emotions.

I'm so glad I found this site - so much compassionate, wise advice and understanding. Reading your responses makes me understand a bit more what a big step this is, particularly as I'm doing everything myself! Although when I read how others who desperately want to move home have spouses who want to stay put, kids who want to stay put, etc., I see that I'm actually in a fortunate position as the choice is all mine. I came here at 20, and I have had some great times, and some not so great times. I never actually planned to move here, and that is another story all on its own. But it's been my entire adult life. Luckily I'm not ready for the bathchair and slippers yet, so there's a lot more life out there - back home.

I will definitely post on the Bon Voyage thread before I leave - August 10, Air New Zealand (great airline) L.A. to London. There were only six seats available online when I booked my flight a couple of months ago (one way). I have two emotional friends accompanying me to the airport (their choice) and I'm not sure that is a good idea! When I get back and get internet established, I'll be sure to post regularly as to what's going on, and hopefully will be able to help others as others have helped me!

Thanks so much again.
Thanks so, so much, everyone! Sunshine, Brigette, Curleytops, Sally, Paranoid - your advice really helped! I haven't been able to understand why on earth I should suddenly start feeling sad about leaving the USA, but of course, it makes perfect sense now. I've wanted to leave for so long now but, having been here so long, I've got used to things here and have just begun to realise (see, I'm already spelling the English way) what a huge move I'm making.

Paranoid, I had exactly the same attitude as you, which is why it was so puzzling for me to understand my present feelings. I was so anxious to get my move in place, and now it's almost here, there are so many conflicting emotions.

I'm so glad I found this site - so much compassionate, wise advice and understanding. Reading your responses makes me understand a bit more what a big step this is, particularly as I'm doing everything myself! Although when I read how others who desperately want to move home have spouses who want to stay put, kids who want to stay put, etc., I see that I'm actually in a fortunate position as the choice is all mine. I came here at 20, and I have had some great times, and some not so great times. I never actually planned to move here, and that is another story all on its own. But it's been my entire adult life. Luckily I'm not ready for the bathchair and slippers yet, so there's a lot more life out there - back home.

I will definitely post on the Bon Voyage thread before I leave - August 10, Air New Zealand (great airline) L.A. to London. There were only six seats available online when I booked my flight a couple of months ago (one way). I have two emotional friends accompanying me to the airport (their choice) and I'm not sure that is a good idea! When I get back and get internet established, I'll be sure to post regularly as to what's going on, and hopefully will be able to help others as others have helped me!
Good luck & look forward to hearing all about your next chapter....! If our house sells, we may be mid-August way. Fingers crossed
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Shazban
I'm headed to Purley in Surrey mainly because a) my closest friend lives there and b) the schools are pretty good which I need for my 14 yr old and c) it's nice and quiet but just in arms reach of London for work & play

I wish you all the best and look forward to reading your updates here!
Purley isn't far from London! Like you, I have quit my job (my boss is convinced I'll only be gone six months - ha), sold my car, getting rid of all my stuff except for a few things that I want to hang on to. Starting anew. And with the godawful state of the traffic here in the San Fernando Valley in L.A., I certainly won't miss that aspect of life here!
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:42 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Barbara, you will be fine.

I returned here in February after almost 30 years in Oz, sure I have my dark days as my kids and grand-kids are still over there, but for the most part I have more bright days than dark.

It IS very scary, but you know us baby boomers can do anything.
Old Jul 1st 2011, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Shazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant futureShazban has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Barbara1133
Purley isn't far from London! Like you, I have quit my job (my boss is convinced I'll only be gone six months - ha), sold my car, getting rid of all my stuff except for a few things that I want to hang on to. Starting anew. And with the godawful state of the traffic here in the San Fernando Valley in L.A., I certainly won't miss that aspect of life here!
Oh I hear you on the traffic front. I'm hoping I can get away with not needing a car when I get back. Imagine all the shoes I could buy with the money I'd be saving! Tee hee hee
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 12:04 am
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

Another one who is moving back mid-August with my daughter 5 and son 3. My husband will follow once he's wrapped everything up! Well that's plan I just hope I don't change my mind. I've been dithering about moving back for the last 3 years or so and just recently I have become more convinced it's the right thing to do.

I'm dreading telling people here, I really don't need any doubts put into my mind. I'm off work next week and then plan to resign on my return.

I wish all the returnees good luck and please send me "don't change your mind, again" vibes!!

Thanks for letting me offload here.

London here I come!!
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

We have just decided to go ahead and move back too!!!!!! To be quite honest i am petrified.I thought i would be soooooo excited,but when its finally come down to going and putting things into place...........i am so scared. Scared of making the wrong choice.I know i have wanted to move for along time,but now the time is here,i really am scared
Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Barbara1133 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
We have just decided to go ahead and move back too!!!!!! To be quite honest i am petrified.I thought i would be soooooo excited,but when its finally come down to going and putting things into place...........i am so scared. Scared of making the wrong choice.I know i have wanted to move for along time,but now the time is here,i really am scared
We're all going through the same emotions! Now I have about 5 weeks, I'm beginning to get excited. Perhaps this is a rollercoaster we have to go through. I honestly know it would be much worse without this board and all the great people on it giving help and advice!
Old Jul 4th 2011, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

If all goes to plan we have 4 weeks to go YIKES!!!!!!
We are unsure of where we are going back to at the moment.But we will start at my parents in Cumbria and then go on a searching mission to find what we are looking for.The thing that scares me the most,is that we dont find what we are searching for.But i have in my mind .......if things dont work out,we can always come back.We are just renting our Canadian house out for a year to see if the economy picks up next year.