moving away from UK - tax

Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Default moving away from UK - tax

I have heard when moving abroad from the UK that you are able to claim back tax you paid in the UK providing you move within 3 months before the end of the tax year....is there any truth in this !?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice
Default Re: moving away from UK - tax

I filled in the form before I left on Aug 8th.. they credited a nice refund to my bank account the day before I left the UK.. filled it in and sent it around July 20th when I had my P45 and knew I wouldnt be working again =)
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Originally posted by leebarton
I filled in the form before I left on Aug 8th.. they credited a nice refund to my bank account the day before I left the UK.. filled it in and sent it around July 20th when I had my P45 and knew I wouldnt be working again =)

Filled what in where ??...can it be done online ??
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

Originally posted by MrDub
Filled what in where ??...can it be done online ??
yes I got the form off their website, then rang them and got an address to send it to as it was missing the stamp it would have if it came through the post. Can't for the life of me remember the form number...looking for my copy now.. give me 10 mins!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

yes I got the form off their website, then rang them and got an address to send it to as it was missing the stamp it would have if it came through the post. Can't for the life of me remember the form number...looking for my copy now.. give me 10 mins!
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/nonr...s/fagp85.shtml

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

P85..that is the form number..print it, fill it in , attach ya P45 and give the date you are planning on leaving the country, and they sorted out my tax position for this year.

Ring them and check if you have any questions as I am not an accountant or tax expert - I found them very helpful!
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

grioghair is an unknown quantity at this point

P85..that is the form number..print it, fill it in , attach ya P45 and give the date you are planning on leaving the country, and they sorted out my tax position for this year.
What about if you have already left the UK several years back? Might they owe me some back taxes? Is it worth contacting them to find out?

I guess this form would go to the office that dealt with the borough I was living in...right?

Steve
Old Jan 8th 2004, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

curlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nicecurlylocks is just really nice

I did a similar thing a couple of years back - I worked for a portion of the year - but I had been taxed as if I was going to work all year - so they did the math.... and voila - a nice rebate.... I think the more of the year you worked, the less you get back.

Hope you get a nice cheque in the post!!!

Originally posted by MrDub
I have heard when moving abroad from the UK that you are able to claim back tax you paid in the UK providing you move within 3 months before the end of the tax year....is there any truth in this !?
Old Jan 8th 2004, 8:17 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by grioghair
What about if you have already left the UK several years back? Might they owe me some back taxes? Is it worth contacting them to find out?

I guess this form would go to the office that dealt with the borough I was living in...right?

Steve
Depends what you mean by several. I think 6 years is the furthest back you can claim a tax refund. If you leave work in March and get your final months tax-free allowance for that year, (Month 12) you would not be owed anything. If you left in February you would be due back the tax for 1 month's tax free allowance (usually 22% of £385). For each month before March that's another £84 approx.
(The UK Tax year is really 6th April to 5th March but for most people that are monthly paid it's effectively 1st April to 31st March). You need to deal with the Tax Office for your last employer, not where you lived.
Old Jan 9th 2004, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Depends what you mean by several. I think 6 years is the furthest back you can claim a tax refund.
I've been in the USA just five years, so I guess I just asked this question in time.

Originally posted by MrsLondon
You need to deal with the Tax Office for your last employer, not where you lived.
That would be the same office...thanks.

Can you offer me any information about tax exemption for non-residents of the UK with regard to interest on savings accounts. (I left a current and savings account open in the UK when I left...but failed to declare tax-exemption status - you always forget something.) Where do I stand with that now?

Thanks,

Steve
Old Jan 9th 2004, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

http://www.uk-yankee.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=tax

The above link might be useful for anyone with US/UK tax problems.