Reload this Page >

moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough
Default Re: moveing to u.k from usa with a dog

Originally Posted by Ayala123
How do you avoid quarantine? Is the US included in the PETS scheme or something? I am moving back from Israel in June, my dog is micro-chipped and vaccinated against rabies but the PETS scheme doesn't apply - I can't get an email reply from DEFRA and Israel doesn't even seem to be on their 'authorised routes' list.

If I can avoid quarantine I would bring her with me, otherwise I have to find her a good home which is a horrible thing to have to do. Is there any way round it other than stopping off in Europe for 6 mths first?

Ayala
Yeah the United States is included in the PETS scheme. However, not every country is. A list of qualifying non-EU countries is on the defra site here. Obviously Israel isn't included in this list; however, you could move your dog to one of those countries included in the PETS scheme.

What's your concern with putting your dog in quarantine?
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:47 pm
Back home in Kent....

England1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really niceEngland1971 is just really nice

As you know I came back on the QM2 in November 2010, and if anyone has any questions, you can send me an email and I will help you as much as I can. Its stressful getting a dog home and all the BS that is on the PETS scheme.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by England1971
As you know I came back on the QM2 in November 2010, and if anyone has any questions, you can send me an email and I will help you as much as I can. Its stressful getting a dog home and all the BS that is on the PETS scheme.
It's best to ask and answer questions on the forum rather than PM or email...that way others can benefit from the information. Unless it's something you would rather not discuss in public.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope it all goes well. We came back in September and the thing I was worried about more than anything was shipping our dog over. All this talk of "cannot guarentee they will live" is just legal talk, to cover themselves. I wouldn't worry unduly.

We eventually went through Virgin as they seemed the only company who you could book directly with. BA told us they only deal with Pet Shipping Companies who, after speaking to a couple, seem to do what you'd do anyway but charge you 100's of $'s just for booking a ticket. You still have to do everything else! There are full service places that quoted us $3,000 door to door, we eventually got our 10lb dog on the plane for $950.

We flew into Heathrow and our dog was as right as rain, you'd never know he went through anything. Remember, dogs aren't like humans, they live in the moment and won't gradually get more stressed throughout the flight. An 8 hour trip may be as traumatic as a 10 minute trip, just as easily as an 8 hour trip may be as problem free as a 10 minute trip.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 4:54 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john5655
it may not be quite so wonderful for a dog to spend seven days cooped up in a kennel
Yeah, at first I thought this would be a less stressful option for our cats but then I realized that with the flight, it would all be over for them in one day. With the sailing option, they are stressed for 6 days. So I think flying is the better plan - for me at least.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pauljarv
Hope it all goes well. We came back in September and the thing I was worried about more than anything was shipping our dog over. All this talk of "cannot guarentee they will live" is just legal talk, to cover themselves. I wouldn't worry unduly.

We eventually went through Virgin as they seemed the only company who you could book directly with. BA told us they only deal with Pet Shipping Companies who, after speaking to a couple, seem to do what you'd do anyway but charge you 100's of $'s just for booking a ticket. You still have to do everything else! There are full service places that quoted us $3,000 door to door, we eventually got our 10lb dog on the plane for $950.

We flew into Heathrow and our dog was as right as rain, you'd never know he went through anything. Remember, dogs aren't like humans, they live in the moment and won't gradually get more stressed throughout the flight. An 8 hour trip may be as traumatic as a 10 minute trip, just as easily as an 8 hour trip may be as problem free as a 10 minute trip.
Was your dog in the passenger compartment with you? Why was the fare even as high as $950? When I called the airlines recently it was $100 extra to have your dog fly in the passenger compartment with you - if he was small, of course. Did the difference cover all the rabies shots, certificates and all the other things that are needed for a move to the UK?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Was your dog in the passenger compartment with you? Why was the fare even as high as $950? When I called the airlines recently it was $100 extra to have your dog fly in the passenger compartment with you - if he was small, of course. Did the difference cover all the rabies shots, certificates and all the other things that are needed for a move to the UK?
I thought all dogs entering the UK by air had to travel in the hold of the plane.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought all dogs entering the UK by air had to travel in the hold of the plane.
I agree. Not just dogs either: all animals entering the UK via air can only do so in cargo. They need to be cleared by Defra before being admitted in the UK, one way or another.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by zednought
I agree. Not just dogs either: all animals entering the UK via air can only do so in cargo. They need to be cleared by Defra before being admitted in the UK, one way or another.
I am probably flying with my dog you "CANNOT" have them in the cabin with you for a flight that long, as it could upset other passengers and they need to use the bathroom and other fun stuff... the only way around this is toobook on the QM2 it costs about the same, you get a nice cruise can see your dog 4 or 5 times a day but sadleythe kennels are all booked the entire off 2011 so far.. ): good luck! book early with them its well worth it my sister did it to get back home.....
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windsong
You do the "quarantine" in the country from which you are departing instead. This means the pets get to live at home and merely get checked by a vet. They have to have a special microchip, though. They get their rabies vaccine and then their blood is tested to make sure it's okay and you are all set.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=690803

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shippi...Back_to_the_UK

Paperwork is all completed before departure. Pets get of the ship or plane (with you) and go straight to their new home )
I don't think this is right. The poster said Israel is not a pet scheme qualified country and as far as I know if you don't come from a qualified country, the pet does quarantine in the UK. What is the special microchip? Have things changed recently?

Last edited by 1chumly; Jan 15th 2011 at 9:50 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by hayleyatfla
I am probably flying with my dog you "CANNOT" have them in the cabin with you for a flight that long, as it could upset other passengers and they need to use the bathroom and other fun stuff... the only way around this is toobook on the QM2 it costs about the same, you get a nice cruise can see your dog 4 or 5 times a day but sadleythe kennels are all booked the entire off 2011 so far.. ): good luck! book early with them its well worth it my sister did it to get back home.....
That's not the reason they are not allowed to travel to the UK in the cabin though...it's all about rabies.

You can fly out of the UK with a small pet in the cabin to the US...some of our members have done so.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

That's not the reason they are not allowed to travel to the UK in the cabin though...it's all about rabies.

You can fly out of the UK with a small pet in the cabin to the US...some of our members have done so.
wel if u know of an airline from the U.S please let me know she is only 10lbs and this is really the 1st i have of it.. she has all her rabies titers, the works... i hate the thought of her in a cargo hold for 8 hours...
Old Jan 16th 2011, 8:15 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

wel if u know of an airline from the U.S please let me know she is only 10lbs and this is really the 1st i have of it.. she has all her rabies titers, the works... i hate the thought of her in a cargo hold for 8 hours...
Jerseygirl is right - dogs coming back to the UK via the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) are required to travel as cargo.

She is probably better off there than in cabin, honestly. She will be in the warm, dark, and will probably just drift off to sleep. A busy cabin would be very distracting and unsettling. If my dog could cope with it (she is a very anxious dog), I'd say any dog can.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 12:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Any pet travelling to the UK by air must travel in the hold of the plane...because of the UK quarantine rules and not because they may soil or be a nuisance to other passengers. What I said was small pets are allowed to travel in the cabin when leaving the UK...some airlines allow it...others don't.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Any pet travelling to the UK by air must travel in the hold of the plane...because of the UK quarantine rules and not because they may soil or be a nuisance to other passengers. What I said was small pets are allowed to travel in the cabin when leaving the UK...some airlines allow it...others don't.
well i knew about the rabies, she is the reason i cant leave the country for 6 months getting everything done...been gettin DEFRA papers, shots, titers...etco As for 8 hours on a plane i really dont thing other pasengers would like it for many reasons...