Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moved back to the UK from the US and wondering whether to stay

Wikiposts

Moved back to the UK from the US and wondering whether to stay

Old Dec 12th 2009, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved back to the UK from the US and wondering whether to stay

Sorry to hijack but all the rentals I've looked at on the web have a cooker included. Are there many that don't? (I didn't think it was allowed actually).
Old Dec 12th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by salgb
I lived in the US (CA) for 23 years. I planned moving back to the UK for over a year. Primarily because I was tired of the rat race in LA. Thought England would provide a better quality of life, I have an aging family, and the NHS. I bought a US cat with me, and also had all my furniture shipped(still in storage). Thought I'd find a house and get settled and start working very quickly. The reality is I've been living with parents for almost 3 months (difficult). I've got a used car. I'm about to purchase a home. But am missing my friends and US family, and feeling like I'm making a massive mistake. That I should cut out before making a house purchase. I've looked at rental properties in the area, but they're expensive and depressing. Wondering if I'll settle here, or if I should just head back to the US, where life is so familiar and easy. I don't want to regret not giving life here a decent chance, but another part of me feels as though I had an error in judgement, thinking that I could move back. Anyone have a similar experience, or helpful comments appreciated. Thanks.
Hi there, I am moving back to the UK after being in Canada for 23 years. I think the reality of the situation is that we are being wrenched out of our "comfort zone". Whatever anyone says about North America it is still a very comfortable place to live but you have to give your new life in the UK a chance.

But, look forward, the UK and Europe are diverse and interesting and try to rekindle the spirit that made you a World traveller in the first place. Go on a holiday to Croatia, Goa, Cyprus, or Tunisia and realise what living in the UK has to offer. Before going back to the US, think of all of your other options. Always remember, diversity is what makes the World interesting.

As the Australians say, don't be a Ping-Pom(e).

Last edited by johnh009; Dec 12th 2009 at 4:46 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 8:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Sorry to hijack but all the rentals I've looked at on the web have a cooker included. Are there many that don't? (I didn't think it was allowed actually).
My experience is that it varies by region and by estate agent. Some will advise landlords against providing amenities because if they break down, the landlord is responsible for fixing/replacing, whereas others will advise providing fridge/freezer, etc., because tenants are more likely to want to live there.

Most places I looked at when I was coming back provided a cooker but no F/F and no washing machine.

I think it never hurts to ask - many landlords or letting agents have leads to cheap sources of these white goods, and rather than have their properties go empty/rentless for another month or two, they'll work with the tenant to get these extras.

I don't think you were hijacking - these issues are relevant to what the OP needs to consider regarding her buy/rent decision.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

salgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by johnh009
Hi there, I am moving back to the UK after being in Canada for 23 years. I think the reality of the situation is that we are being wrenched out of our "comfort zone". Whatever anyone says about North America it is still a very comfortable place to live but you have to give your new life in the UK a chance.

But, look forward, the UK and Europe are diverse and interesting and try to rekindle the spirit that made you a World traveller in the first place. Go on a holiday to Croatia, Goa, Cyprus, or Tunisia and realise what living in the UK has to offer. Before going back to the US, think of all of your other options. Always remember, diversity is what makes the World interesting.

As the Australians say, don't be a Ping-Pom(e).
Yes, I have been wrenched out of my comfort zone. And it's a much bigger shock to the system when you throw a disfunctional family back into the mix (one of reasons for escaping before). We are foreigners moving back here, there's no getting away from that. And I feel more American than British, even though I was born and raised here. If I had a pound for every person that said I was "mad to move back" I'd be buying a penthouse flat in London! British people seem very down trodden, and that's hard when I come from CA anything goes, life is good feeling. I'm sure they'll be opportunities here, and I'll make new friends, and I do love the countryside - it's spectacular. I like being so close to Europe for travel, but now may never have enough money to travel anywhere! Bottom line for me, is, is it worth staying for even a short amount of time, or should I just hit the road back to the US now? It's a dilemma that renting vs buying doesn't really come into. If I make a commitment to stay I'll buy, and see where I'm at in 2 years. And if I choose to go it'll be tomorrow, not 6 months from now...
Old Dec 13th 2009, 4:34 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's impossible to settle until you have your own place to rattle about in and cook or not as you please and get into your own routines. Find places to go for walks and coffees and do your normal stuff you'd do here. Only without the oppressive heat in summer.
What didn't you like about US that you moved, what were the reasons for going to UK?
For me It's not that I don't like the place and people, (hate the heat) I'm sure this isn't the place to grow old and god forbid I end up in a nursing home here, I'd live out my days without a cup of hot decent tea. The thought of stupid stuff like that make the hairs on my neck stand up.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

SlumdogPauper is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I have been wrenched out of my comfort zone. And it's a much bigger shock to the system when you throw a disfunctional family back into the mix (one of reasons for escaping before). We are foreigners moving back here, there's no getting away from that. And I feel more American than British, even though I was born and raised here. If I had a pound for every person that said I was "mad to move back" I'd be buying a penthouse flat in London! And if I choose to go it'll be tomorrow, not 6 months from now...

I think you have summed it all up by saying all of the above ..and I would move back to the US NOW..RATHER THEN A FEW YEARS DOWN THE ROAD-in the event your ventures of house buying fail miserably-and you are left holding the baby with negative equity-YOU WILL REGRET THIS DECISION FOREVER!
It is evidently clear from all your posts that you are NOT HAPPY HERE!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

salgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant future

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have decided the UK is not for me, and will be returning to the US in the New Year. Each country has it's own set of problems. For anyone else considering a move after a long time away I would suggest taking an extended trip before paying to have furniture and effects shipped here, (if at all a possible.) Try looking and applying for work before you get here - get a sense of how many responses you receive, as well as salary range, job locations. And price train tickets in case you need to commute.
Make a list of pros and cons. Do you really mind long periods of gloomy, grey, cold weather? Seriously it's gloomy! Do you mind that UK society seems a lot more constricted and rule bound than the US? There are CCTV and speed cameras everywhere. Do you mind living in closer proximity to your neighbors, most likely in a semi or terraced home? Unless you have stacks of money the house and rooms, as well as the garden will be smaller than a US equivalent. Can you afford to pay more for gas/petrol?
On the flip side, people here are warm, friendly and helpful. People are more tolerant and accepting. They are very resilient and have a real 'can do' attitude. They have a great sense of humor. If you have a car, everything is very close, making it easy to travel around. The European design aesthetic is awesome - clean and simple. The TV shows (barring the X Factor) are much better, and not all the actors have bleached perfect teeth! The English countryside is spectacular. You get to see and experience 4 seasons. There are many country pubs that are friendly, cozy and safe. The older buildings in some towns are steeped in history and so charming. You won't go bust over healthcare.
I know this is a rather scattered and general list, but if you'er considering a long distance move it may help. Whatever you decide, follow your heart, and good luck!
Old Dec 16th 2009, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

bobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the rough

i lived in the USA for 15 years before moving back to england. the culture shock is intense. the british just do not have as good of a material standard of living as middle class america. prices for what i consider luxury items in england is much more than USA for identical products. i have found merging back into UK life professionally almost impossible - employers over here want to see GCSE's, A-levels, UCAS points, and if you dont have them (I was educated in the US), plenty of people do so its your loss. i personally cannot see the value of staying in the UK unless you have strong family/friends connections that make life worthwhile and help to plug you into the job market. the USA has its own downsides of course, which are numerous. i would like to leave the UK very much, but its not that simple for me.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

I lived in the US (CA) for 23 years. I planned moving back to the UK for over a year. Primarily because I was tired of the rat race in LA. Thought England would provide a better quality of life, I have an aging family, and the NHS. I bought a US cat with me, and also had all my furniture shipped(still in storage). Thought I'd find a house and get settled and start working very quickly. The reality is I've been living with parents for almost 3 months (difficult). I've got a used car. I'm about to purchase a home. But am missing my friends and US family, and feeling like I'm making a massive mistake. That I should cut out before making a house purchase. I've looked at rental properties in the area, but they're expensive and depressing. Wondering if I'll settle here, or if I should just head back to the US, where life is so familiar and easy. I don't want to regret not giving life here a decent chance, but another part of me feels as though I had an error in judgement, thinking that I could move back. Anyone have a similar experience, or helpful comments appreciated. Thanks.
I think you should head back to US and fast. The Britain you had left US for is no longer there. (you remind me of these poor Jews who remained standing in the square after all the Germans were already dead - "Escape from Sobibor"
Yes you did make a massive mistake, and unless you have some serious health issues that require NHS help I would head back to US. To think that after 23 years you can just make your way back into the British social fabric to the point of any "contentment" is gravely naive! I had done the u turn like this after only 3 years in Vancouver and after 6 months back in England I was already feeling totally out of wack and revisiting our discission. Now after a spell in US I can say US is better than CAN in practically all aspects, except maybe for tougher immigration laws. Frankly for the numerous things I miss "about" England (May good God bless Her!), I do not miss "living" there at all. I think you should forget about buying a house in England, try to recover what you had left behind in LA and return a.s.a.p. If you wait your return to US will be more painful both before, and after. Think about it if you do not like the rat race in LA you can go to million other places in US which are more settled and friendly. How about Dallas or Chicago? And remember heading to places more quiet in US does not mean having to go on income support.