Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moved back to Kendal 3 weeks ago

Moved back to Kendal 3 weeks ago

Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice
Default Moved back to Kendal 3 weeks ago

Well we finally done it!!!!!!!!
Moved back to the UK 3 weeks ago and its been a bit of a roller coaster ride trying to get a nice rental property. There are not many places in the lake district area to rent,and what there is they are very small and not what we are use to in Alberta. We did find a nice place in Heversham and the owners said we could have the dog there too.So we went back to take another look and decided on it,we got our son in a really good school in Dallam about 1 mile form the house.Then we returned home that day to tell the landlord we were taking the house.To our amazment he had given it to the couple who had given back word on it 2 days earlier.We were furious,but there was nothing we could do about it,but to start our search again.
We finally decided on the house we are in now,in Kendal.Its not ideal but atleast we have a roof over our heads.
We are warming to more and more each day to this lovely little town. Its really pretty and has lots here.I think we are all very happy to be back .Went to Asda yesterday and couldnt believe how cheap groceries are compared to walmart,sobeys etc in Alberta. The fruit and veg were so fresh and soooooo cheap........i think we will be saving a small fortune shopping at Asda from now on.
I was really worried about our son starting school.He was 3yrs old when we moved out to Canada 10yrs ago,so even some of the lingo he struggled with.But the first two days were last week and he couldnt say enough about the school.That was a huge relief for us,i just hope it continues.
The things are miss so far are the openess on the roads and our home back there.......and thats it so far!! I will keep you up dated ....so far so good
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved back to Kendal 3 weeks ago

Oh I'm so glad you wound up in Kendal! I just came back from a week there and we love it as you know.

If you like curries, I recommend Eastern Balti and for a delicious 'posh' meal out, Deja Vu. Their 3 course special for £16 is wonderful.

I know what you mean about food prices - we went in Asda and couldn't believe that 5 cheese and onion pasties cost £1.70 and a big bag of new potatoes was only £1. Amazing.

We were in Heversham on our first day checking out some holiday cottages and it's a lovely little village.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Sep 11th 2011 at 4:13 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh I'm so glad you wound up in Kendal! I just came back from a week there and we love it as you know.

If you like curries, I recommend Eastern Balti and for a delicious 'posh' meals out, Deja Vu. Their 3 course special for £16 is wonderful.

I know what you mean about food prices - we went in Asda and couldn't believe that 5 cheese and onion pasties cost £1.70 and a big bag of new potatoes was only £1. Amazing.

We were in Heversham on our first day checking out some holiday cottages and it's a lovely little village.
oh its a small world!!!! we probably passed each other on the road some where.I will try those restaurants for sure........we love curries!
Yes I can see us really loving Kendal too,its a great sized town and its so lovely and quaint,it just has a great feel to it.
Just been to Asda again......cant get over how cheap it is .
Old Sep 11th 2011, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you will all be very happy and settle quickly
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
Moved back to the UK 3 weeks ago and its been a bit of a roller coaster ride trying to get a nice rental property. There are not many places in the lake district area to rent,and what there is they are very small and not what we are use to in Alberta. We did find a nice place in Heversham and the owners said we could have the dog there too.So we went back to take another look and decided on it,we got our son in a really good school in Dallam about 1 mile form the house.Then we returned home that day to tell the landlord we were taking the house.To our amazment he had given it to the couple who had given back word on it 2 days earlier.We were furious,but there was nothing we could do about it,but to start our search again.
We finally decided on the house we are in now,in Kendal.Its not ideal but atleast we have a roof over our heads.
We are warming to more and more each day to this lovely little town. Its really pretty and has lots here.I think we are all very happy to be back .Went to Asda yesterday and couldnt believe how cheap groceries are compared to walmart,sobeys etc in Alberta. The fruit and veg were so fresh and soooooo cheap........i think we will be saving a small fortune shopping at Asda from now on.
I was really worried about our son starting school.He was 3yrs old when we moved out to Canada 10yrs ago,so even some of the lingo he struggled with.But the first two days were last week and he couldnt say enough about the school.That was a huge relief for us,i just hope it continues.
The things are miss so far are the openess on the roads and our home back there.......and thats it so far!! I will keep you up dated ....so far so good
Well I am missing you and our lovely chats, days out and coffees...etc.., It's very lonely here now you've gone but glad everything's starting to get sorted for you all
10 more weeks for us.........can't wait!.....see you all soon
Old Sep 11th 2011, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Cumbrianlass, I was on the forum yesterday wondering about you. lovely to hear you have found place to rent and in such a lovely part of the world. Wish you all the best..
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi C.L,

Welcome home.....I think we all have some adjustments to make after living overseas for long periods of time....I cannot really say now what mine where when we arrived...I think our two sons were amazed to see older people out and about...lol...when I thought about it I realised you did not really see a lot of the oldies out and about around Perth....but after a while even my FIL home which is a very old Terrace Home (its lovely) does not seem so small....some things take time to get use to others its like you have never been away. Our rental property (we are currently moving around the corner to a larger rental property...) is small but it was all that was available at the time, its been good for giving us somewhere to call our own front door(which helps to settle you back) and I always knew it was not forever (the year here has flown by though) we still have not bought a home as we are still waiting for one to come on the market where we are currently renting, its not ideal but I dont let it worry me as "it will work out when the time is right" try and remember that if you start getting a bit fed up...its best to know the right area, home, etc as much as you can before you buy. Take days out to see your area and the surrounding countryside if you start to miss the openness of Canada, you have plenty of wonderful countryside on your doorstep not to mention Scotland is not too far away. Great news about your son, thats the main thing in all of this when it comes down to it, for some anyway. Try and find local activities for him etc that he might enjoy and local clubs...always helps even if just to know what is on offer in your area. Good luck, take each day as it comes and try to look forward not backwards.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 12:26 am
Just Joined

altyfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to Kendal...!

I have lived and worked here for 12 years now. It's a lovely town.

I'm from Manchester originally but, when I was younger, we used to holiday here regularly before buying a cottage in Heversham funnily enough.

We later moved to Cartmel when I was about 15, so I've been living in the county for aroiund 25 years now.

It's a great place to be and I hope you enjoy your new life here.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:25 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

And nothing about mint cake?

Old Sep 12th 2011, 12:16 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
And nothing about mint cake?

That's the only drawback about Kendal.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by altyfc
Welcome to Kendal...!

I have lived and worked here for 12 years now. It's a lovely town.

I'm from Manchester originally but, when I was younger, we used to holiday here regularly before buying a cottage in Heversham funnily enough.

We later moved to Cartmel when I was about 15, so I've been living in the county for aroiund 25 years now.

It's a great place to be and I hope you enjoy your new life here.
WOW its a small world!!! We liked Heversham and Levens too,but thought Kendal would have more to offer us right on our door step.I love the fact there is plenty to do ,go and eat and lots of country side....its a lovely place to be
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fulwood
Cumbrianlass, I was on the forum yesterday wondering about you. lovely to hear you have found place to rent and in such a lovely part of the world. Wish you all the best..
Thank you Fulwood. We did look around Garstang too and we almost went for it there,but Kendal just felt right for some reason. So we came here instead. I hope we settle here ,i guess there will be things we miss for a while,but i hope they soon fade away.thanks for your well wishes x
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you everyone.......I really hope we settle here,as its a beautiful place. I was in Asda again today and cannot believe how cheap the groceries are over here. I mean fruit and veg...they are more or less giving it away compared to Alberta prices.I think we will save a good amount on our groceries each month.There is also so much more choice,so many different restaurants too and the clothes stores....i mean shops!!!! well I am in heaven !!!!!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marietuluse
Well I am missing you and our lovely chats, days out and coffees...etc.., It's very lonely here now you've gone but glad everything's starting to get sorted for you all
10 more weeks for us.........can't wait!.....see you all soon
Miss you too Marieuluse!!!!!!! oh i can taste "waves" coffee right now...yum yum! but "costa" is just as good here,so when you get back we will meet up for the day or the weekend and go to some of the loveliest places to eat ......and drink and just hope the sun is shining lol xxx
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:39 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Kendal just felt right for some reason.
This is the feeling we got the very first day there. As we drove in on Windermere Road and went over the dip into town, where you see the church spire, I just felt "this is the place for me." Came as a complete surprise to me as I didn't know the town previously.

No wonder it's hard to find rentals there - I doubt many people leave!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.