Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moved across the pond, moved back!

Moved across the pond, moved back!

Old May 7th 2007, 12:29 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved across the pond, moved back!

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
Sorry to say but if you look up the crime stats for Glasgow you wouldn't consider sending a dog to it!!!! It is an incredibly violent city. The most murders per capita in the UK I believe. Hugely socially deprived and generally run down. Think very very carefully before you commit yourself!
Nottingham has that dubious honour.
Old May 7th 2007, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spud Woodward
I moved to Canada from the UK in 2001 and four years later returned to live in the UK.
I am now a research student writing a paper on why ex-pats return to Britain from Canada. There are many comments regarding returning from Australia, but why do some of us jump the Canadian ship?
To start the ball rolling, I'll tell you mine - there's no place like home for starters. I missed simple things like calling up friends to pop out for a drink. I felt guilt and separation anxiety regarding family and friends. I craved stupid things like being able to go shopping without clearing snow off the driveway first. Life was a bit "tougher" than I had anticipated. I found Canadian people friendly and polite but I would crack a joke at work and instead of joining in the banter, people would just look at me as if I had flipped. Canadian humour is on a different wave length to British humour. We all speak the same language but that's where the similarity ends. We have a different work ethics and we enjoy different things. I made many Canadian friends and other ex-pat friends over my time of living there and still have these people in my lives now. They are very dear to me and I will go back to visit them.
I loved Canada for what it was and what it provided and the Canadian people were lovely. It was just a round peg square hole situation.
Please let me know any thoughts you have about living in Canada or returning to Britain, would love to hear from you!
xxx
It's a serious culture change it's all a matter of what you are used to

Everyone seems to be into skiing, hockey or other winter sports. The idea of a holiday here is 2 weeks off work to the same place (either a lake or Florida) every year. Most people I know seem to get harrased by work even on days off. Perhaps that is why so few Canadians own mobile phones!!.

To come from the UK where you can travel anywhere for next to nothing and it doesnt snow is a huge culture shock.

The winter here is very tough. People who have never been here in the winter cannot understand how cold it is but worse than that how long it is. It's now the 6th May and the trees are only just budding. There was snow on the ground until 2 weeks ago!!

However, I'm not so sure about the sense of humour thing. Canadian and British humour seem similar. Mind you I'm in Quebec, which is almost like a separate country from the rest of Canada.

All in all I feel similar to the OP, a squar epeg in a round hole and don't intend to be here for ever
Old May 19th 2007, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fishfinger
In a bit of a rush today so I'll briefly list why I am leaving BC:

Missing Family
Too little vacation time (spent mainly visiting family back in England)
Limited Career progression
Feeling that you will never quite fit in because you aren't Canadian, even felt it affected job prospects
Suspect Education, I like to see my kids challenged not falling asleep and going backwards. I did get a better education for my son when we sent him private though.
Feeling like you had retired/died especially if you weren't into hiking, kayaking etc
Same shops, same malls
Political agenda, Unions rule the roost.
Rain 9 months of the year! Not like rain in the South of England but rain sometime for 6 weeks non stop. Found this got on my nerves after a few years.
Cost of groceries compared to wage (cost of living in general)
Fear of wildlife - yes I know it sounds silly but my kids have encountered many bears when trying to play outside.
I found Canadians polite on the whole but not really interested in getting to know you.

There are quite a few things I have loved about Canada but not enough to keep me here unfortunately. I know this sounds like I am slagging the place off but really, like you said it's a case of round peg fitting in a square hole! I like that!!!
But wouldnt you have known alot of that before you went?
Old May 19th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jempee
But wouldnt you have known alot of that before you went?
Some of it yes I did but I really didn't know how it was going to bother me after 3 years of living here.

Most of what I said you can't really know until you have experienced it and what might be a problem for one might not be for another. These are things that have been a problem for me and my family.
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:37 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
In a bit of a rush today so I'll briefly list why I am leaving BC:

Missing Family
Too little vacation time (spent mainly visiting family back in England)
Limited Career progression
Feeling that you will never quite fit in because you aren't Canadian, even felt it affected job prospects
Suspect Education, I like to see my kids challenged not falling asleep and going backwards. I did get a better education for my son when we sent him private though.
Feeling like you had retired/died especially if you weren't into hiking, kayaking etc
Same shops, same malls
Political agenda, Unions rule the roost.
Rain 9 months of the year! Not like rain in the South of England but rain sometime for 6 weeks non stop. Found this got on my nerves after a few years.
Cost of groceries compared to wage (cost of living in general)
Fear of wildlife - yes I know it sounds silly but my kids have encountered many bears when trying to play outside.
I found Canadians polite on the whole but not really interested in getting to know you.

There are quite a few things I have loved about Canada but not enough to keep me here unfortunately. I know this sounds like I am slagging the place off but really, like you said it's a case of round peg fitting in a square hole! I like that!!!

Give it three years and you'll be missing a lot of those things!
Old May 22nd 2007, 6:27 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Give it three years and you'll be missing a lot of those things!
so I'm guessing you want to go back, I think I read you wanted to go back to Canada a while ago?

emma
Old May 22nd 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Moved across the pond, moved back!

Originally Posted by Spud Woodward
I moved to Canada from the UK in 2001 and four years later returned to live in the UK.
I am now a research student writing a paper on why ex-pats return to Britain from Canada. There are many comments regarding returning from Australia, but why do some of us jump the Canadian ship?
To start the ball rolling, I'll tell you mine - there's no place like home for starters. I missed simple things like calling up friends to pop out for a drink. I felt guilt and separation anxiety regarding family and friends. I craved stupid things like being able to go shopping without clearing snow off the driveway first. Life was a bit "tougher" than I had anticipated. I found Canadian people friendly and polite but I would crack a joke at work and instead of joining in the banter, people would just look at me as if I had flipped. Canadian humour is on a different wave length to British humour. We all speak the same language but that's where the similarity ends. We have a different work ethics and we enjoy different things. I made many Canadian friends and other ex-pat friends over my time of living there and still have these people in my lives now. They are very dear to me and I will go back to visit them.
I loved Canada for what it was and what it provided and the Canadian people were lovely. It was just a round peg square hole situation.
Please let me know any thoughts you have about living in Canada or returning to Britain, would love to hear from you!
xxx
Hi
I am also doing a research masters degree in people who have left the uk for Rotorua in Nz what their expectations were and what the realities are, so if u need any comparable facts, get in touch.