Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moved across the pond, moved back!

Moved across the pond, moved back!

Old Apr 20th 2007, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Spud Woodward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved across the pond, moved back!

I moved to Canada from the UK in 2001 and four years later returned to live in the UK.
I am now a research student writing a paper on why ex-pats return to Britain from Canada. There are many comments regarding returning from Australia, but why do some of us jump the Canadian ship?
To start the ball rolling, I'll tell you mine - there's no place like home for starters. I missed simple things like calling up friends to pop out for a drink. I felt guilt and separation anxiety regarding family and friends. I craved stupid things like being able to go shopping without clearing snow off the driveway first. Life was a bit "tougher" than I had anticipated. I found Canadian people friendly and polite but I would crack a joke at work and instead of joining in the banter, people would just look at me as if I had flipped. Canadian humour is on a different wave length to British humour. We all speak the same language but that's where the similarity ends. We have a different work ethics and we enjoy different things. I made many Canadian friends and other ex-pat friends over my time of living there and still have these people in my lives now. They are very dear to me and I will go back to visit them.
I loved Canada for what it was and what it provided and the Canadian people were lovely. It was just a round peg square hole situation.
Please let me know any thoughts you have about living in Canada or returning to Britain, would love to hear from you!
xxx
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moved across the pond, moved back!

Originally Posted by Spud Woodward
I moved to Canada from the UK in 2001 and four years later returned to live in the UK.
I am now a research student writing a paper on why ex-pats return to Britain from Canada. There are many comments regarding returning from Australia, but why do some of us jump the Canadian ship?
To start the ball rolling, I'll tell you mine - there's no place like home for starters. I missed simple things like calling up friends to pop out for a drink. I felt guilt and separation anxiety regarding family and friends. I craved stupid things like being able to go shopping without clearing snow off the driveway first. Life was a bit "tougher" than I had anticipated. I found Canadian people friendly and polite but I would crack a joke at work and instead of joining in the banter, people would just look at me as if I had flipped. Canadian humour is on a different wave length to British humour. We all speak the same language but that's where the similarity ends. We have a different work ethics and we enjoy different things. I made many Canadian friends and other ex-pat friends over my time of living there and still have these people in my lives now. They are very dear to me and I will go back to visit them.
I loved Canada for what it was and what it provided and the Canadian people were lovely. It was just a round peg square hole situation.
Please let me know any thoughts you have about living in Canada or returning to Britain, would love to hear from you!
xxx
In a bit of a rush today so I'll briefly list why I am leaving BC:

Missing Family
Too little vacation time (spent mainly visiting family back in England)
Limited Career progression
Feeling that you will never quite fit in because you aren't Canadian, even felt it affected job prospects
Suspect Education, I like to see my kids challenged not falling asleep and going backwards. I did get a better education for my son when we sent him private though.
Feeling like you had retired/died especially if you weren't into hiking, kayaking etc
Same shops, same malls
Political agenda, Unions rule the roost.
Rain 9 months of the year! Not like rain in the South of England but rain sometime for 6 weeks non stop. Found this got on my nerves after a few years.
Cost of groceries compared to wage (cost of living in general)
Fear of wildlife - yes I know it sounds silly but my kids have encountered many bears when trying to play outside.
I found Canadians polite on the whole but not really interested in getting to know you.

There are quite a few things I have loved about Canada but not enough to keep me here unfortunately. I know this sounds like I am slagging the place off but really, like you said it's a case of round peg fitting in a square hole! I like that!!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fishfinger
In a bit of a rush today so I'll briefly list why I am leaving BC:

Missing Family
Too little vacation time (spent mainly visiting family back in England)
Limited Career progression
Feeling that you will never quite fit in because you aren't Canadian, even felt it affected job prospects
Suspect Education, I like to see my kids challenged not falling asleep and going backwards. I did get a better education for my son when we sent him private though.
Feeling like you had retired/died especially if you weren't into hiking, kayaking etc
Same shops, same malls
Political agenda, Unions rule the roost.
Rain 9 months of the year! Not like rain in the South of England but rain sometime for 6 weeks non stop. Found this got on my nerves after a few years.
Cost of groceries compared to wage (cost of living in general)
Fear of wildlife - yes I know it sounds silly but my kids have encountered many bears when trying to play outside.
I found Canadians polite on the whole but not really interested in getting to know you.

There are quite a few things I have loved about Canada but not enough to keep me here unfortunately. I know this sounds like I am slagging the place off but really, like you said it's a case of round peg fitting in a square hole! I like that!!!
Forgot to put:

Miss, History (architecture)/easy access to theatre/arts
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

xxx
I was a child british expat, so I have no school memories from the UK.I still have friends in the UK and making new friends all the time in the UK.....I live in Canada, and have been over to the UK on many a holiday, but now, we are trying to get back to the UK within the next few years...to live permanently as 90% of the family live there...Just frustrating w/the process of moving..not looking forward to it...as we have little ones.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dewdrop
I was a child british expat, so I have no school memories from the UK.I still have friends in the UK and making new friends all the time in the UK.....I live in Canada, and have been over to the UK on many a holiday, but now, we are trying to get back to the UK within the next few years...to live permanently as 90% of the family live there...Just frustrating w/the process of moving..not looking forward to it...as we have little ones.
Snap. 3 under 4, a dog canadian husband and a plan to be there before end September. Therefore a house to tidy up and get on the market by June at the same apply for OH visa, celebrate two little one's birthdays and continue with life as before so as not to upset the eldest too much. Oh and did I mention there is Football lessons and the desire for the 2 adults to loose some of this 'marriage weight'....... Umm have I bitten off more than I can chew. I'll let you know in a few weeks.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fishfinger! Thank you so much for taking the time to think about why you wanted to leave BC and sharing with me. I lived in Calgary and encountered much of what you mention, particularly the feeling of discrimination because you aren't Canadian. I too feel like I was limited in career progression because I am not Canadian. I don't have kids but my friends who do have also described the education system as somewhat slower than the UK. Moving back was the best thing I could have done and I'm sure it will be for you too. Would you mind if I listed some of your reasons for moving back to England in my research? It is totally confidential. All the best, Spud
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Fishfinger! Thank you so much for taking the time to think about why you wanted to leave BC and sharing with me. I lived in Calgary and encountered much of what you mention, particularly the feeling of discrimination because you aren't Canadian. I too feel like I was limited in career progression because I am not Canadian. I don't have kids but my friends who do have also described the education system as somewhat slower than the UK. Moving back was the best thing I could have done and I'm sure it will be for you too. Would you mind if I listed some of your reasons for moving back to England in my research? It is totally confidential. All the best, Spud
Sure - no problem. Glad you like it back home in the UK, I must say I'm rather an emotional wreck at the moment. I'm feeling sad about leaving but I'm sure once I'm back I'll be jumping for joy.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 2:59 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Sure - no problem. Glad you like it back home in the UK, I must say I'm rather an emotional wreck at the moment. I'm feeling sad about leaving but I'm sure once I'm back I'll be jumping for joy.
When are you heading back Fishfinger?

I know i'll probably be the same, as it is mainly for my husbands sake (and his sanity) we are going back, although I do miss an awful lot about Cheshire life too.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R2D2
When are you heading back Fishfinger?

I know i'll probably be the same, as it is mainly for my husbands sake (and his sanity) we are going back, although I do miss an awful lot about Cheshire life too.
Well hubby is already back and working and I'm waiting for the house to sell which seems slow. I want to be back in the summer so I can start the kids in new schools for September.

It's hard to leave this place when the summer comes as it's so beautiful. My house means nothing to me though, so that I can leave behind. I just find the whole saying goodbye thing traumatic, I'd rather tell nobody and disappear. When will you go back do you think?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fishfinger!
Just wanted to tell you my story about moving back to the UK, because if you're feeling vulnerable about the move right now, it might reassure you to hear it.
When I came back in March 2005, I too was an emotional wreck. I felt like Canada was my home and I didn't want to leave that environment which had become familiar to me. Although the UK had not changed beyond recognition, it was different enough that it felt unfamilar. I had grown away from the British culture that I had been raised with. When I did return I had this underlying feeling that I no longer belonged here although this was supposedly home but Canada was no longer home either so I didn't belong anywhere and had no identity. I became very depressed and anxious. After about 6 weeks I found a job which integrated me back into society, allowed me to make new friends, earned me enough money to keep up with the expensive British lifestyle and gave me a sense of belonging here again.
What I'm saying is this. You will be in a state of emotional turmoil regarding the stresses of moving back, but please be assured it is normal and I promise that within a couple of months you will start to feel better and relieved to be back in the UK. Hang in there. xx
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:59 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Well hubby is already back and working and I'm waiting for the house to sell which seems slow. I want to be back in the summer so I can start the kids in new schools for September.

It's hard to leave this place when the summer comes as it's so beautiful. My house means nothing to me though, so that I can leave behind. I just find the whole saying goodbye thing traumatic, I'd rather tell nobody and disappear. When will you go back do you think?

We have a trip back in the summer for my brothers wedding, so we are using that as a chance to assess and make sure it feels right. I don't want to make a big mistake !

Plus also, house prices are still skyrocketing here, approx 5% per month apparently, so if we can hold on a wee bit longer, we can gain more equity.

The anxiety about hanging on too long is getting my son back into his old school. At the mo there are spaces, but they are expecting a fair few kids to be joining from another school in September, so I'm hoping it won't be full. Coz of that, we are tempted to sell up and move back sooner, but then we sacrifice the additional equity in the house, meaning more mortgage in the UK..........arghhhhh, decisions , decisions !
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Fishfinger!
Just wanted to tell you my story about moving back to the UK, because if you're feeling vulnerable about the move right now, it might reassure you to hear it.
When I came back in March 2005, I too was an emotional wreck. I felt like Canada was my home and I didn't want to leave that environment which had become familiar to me. Although the UK had not changed beyond recognition, it was different enough that it felt unfamilar. I had grown away from the British culture that I had been raised with. When I did return I had this underlying feeling that I no longer belonged here although this was supposedly home but Canada was no longer home either so I didn't belong anywhere and had no identity. I became very depressed and anxious. After about 6 weeks I found a job which integrated me back into society, allowed me to make new friends, earned me enough money to keep up with the expensive British lifestyle and gave me a sense of belonging here again.
What I'm saying is this. You will be in a state of emotional turmoil regarding the stresses of moving back, but please be assured it is normal and I promise that within a couple of months you will start to feel better and relieved to be back in the UK. Hang in there. xx
Thanks, it's nice to hear you have settled so well again. I must admit that is my biggest fear, whether I have changed and will have itchy feet again?

I'm sure it will all me fine and I know I have to really put my kids first now and stay put until they are done with their education. I'm sure I will be happy, I just have a few family issues that might come back to haunt me (over zealous mum!)
Old Apr 25th 2007, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R2D2
We have a trip back in the summer for my brothers wedding, so we are using that as a chance to assess and make sure it feels right. I don't want to make a big mistake !

Plus also, house prices are still skyrocketing here, approx 5% per month apparently, so if we can hold on a wee bit longer, we can gain more equity.

The anxiety about hanging on too long is getting my son back into his old school. At the mo there are spaces, but they are expecting a fair few kids to be joining from another school in September, so I'm hoping it won't be full. Coz of that, we are tempted to sell up and move back sooner, but then we sacrifice the additional equity in the house, meaning more mortgage in the UK..........arghhhhh, decisions , decisions !
Well, BC house prices have gone up too and I'm still struggling to sell our home. Been on the market for almost 6 months now and we are into the selling season. I've been told if it doesn't sell by August/September then that will be it until next year so I'm quite concerned. My advice is to get it on the market sooner rather than later as it's a worry I could do without right now.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fishfinger!
Hi Spud

Is this research work a PhD?
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Yes I am a PhD student but this particular research is an unrelated piece of work I am doing for a Narratives Conference at my University in June of this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.