Move to Scotland from US

Old Feb 9th 2014, 7:39 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Scotland from US

Hi,
If I were you, I'd go to Scotland for a holiday and check the employment situation there before you make any decisions involving work visas. I suspect you may be in for a shock, as nostalgic holiday memories don't always correspond to the present-day nitty-gritty of "real" living....
Old Feb 9th 2014, 1:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by musicismyhold
Maternal Grandma- Scotland
Maternal Grandpa- Munich Germany
Paternal Grandpa- Ireland
Paternal Grandma- Ireland
Father- Ireland (But naturalized US citizen when he was a kid)
Those are the only ones in my family, other than my great-Grandma, that I am 100% sure of where they were born and their citizenship.
If you're Irish, then just apply for your Irish passport. It'll give you virtually all the same benefits of British citizenship including the right to work without restriction, the right to vote and be eligible for certain benefits.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you're Irish, then just apply for your Irish passport. It'll give you virtually all the same benefits of British citizenship including the right to work without restriction, the right to vote and be eligible for certain benefits.
You can probably get an Irish passport through your father.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Are you hoping you can move over and develop a career or are you near retirement? Job outlook isn't great for your skills

If you managed to get there where do you think you'd want to live? I know Scotland well
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

musicismyhold is an unknown quantity at this point

I am 24 right now, 'bout to turn 25. Been doing structural and pipe welding since I was 18. And I am going through training for shipfitting right now.
But, I was thinking about Glasgow. Where Grandma was born.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Just in case you are not aware of it, once you obtain an Irish passport then you do not need any visas or work permits for Scotland, your Irish passport does it all for you.

So research getting an Irish passport on the basis of your father's birth. It matters whether or not he was married to your mother when you were born. Don't assume, you will have to prove it all by getting new (or old) copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates, divorce papers (if there were any) and so on. All very doable, probably doable online and through the mail without travelling but it takes time money and energy.

Oh, and if you are an accomplished welder that is one of the few jobs that is in good demand. Try to get some paperwork, any paperwork, that proves you have experience and skill as a welder. The more pieces of paper the better, even a union membership card would help a little. After three years working in Scotland you could go to University, all paid, to get an engineering degree. Glasgow has a great maritime engineering school.

Last edited by holly_1948; Feb 10th 2014 at 6:13 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by musicismyhold
I am 24 right now, 'bout to turn 25. Been doing structural and pipe welding since I was 18. And I am going through training for shipfitting right now.
But, I was thinking about Glasgow. Where Grandma was born.
Best have a holiday there 1st, I reckon a week in Glasgow will convince you its not for you! Some lovely people in it but its a bit of a s#itehole, industrail looking and many areas seriously rough! Edinburgh is a nice city, small but nice!
Another thing you will have to consider is the dire weather! Scotland is lovely when its sunny, however like the rest of the UK, that is not very often!
Old Feb 14th 2014, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Best have a holiday there 1st, I reckon a week in Glasgow will convince you its not for you!
OP is a welder. Much more chance he will end up in Aberdeen.
Old Feb 15th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Scotland was built on heavy engineering and coal.
The coal has all but gone and the heavy engineering has all but disappeared.
Glasgow built ships for the entire planet but now has only 2 - 3 shipyards and one of these is scheduled to close soon.
In the city the river was lined with docks covering several square miles.
These have all now disappeared and have been filled in and have been redeveloped with exhibition centres; hotels and trendy apartments.
There are many many people with the skills you possess who are unable to get work and unlikely ever to get work because the jobs market has totally changed.
Why don't you try some US companies who work in the North Sea out of Aberdeen and see if they have any job opportunities for you.
My friend's daughter married an American last year and he hasn't been able to find work in spite of having a degree in microbiology. If they are unable to prove annual income of at least £18,000 a year then he will be asked to leave the country.
Go for the Irish passport as advised.