Move to Scotland from US

Old Feb 8th 2014, 1:58 am
Just Joined

musicismyhold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Scotland from US

Hello, All.
I noticed that there were a lot of helpful people on here.
You see, I want to move to Scotland within the next few years, but I can't find any straight answers. And I have no clue where to begin on this. So, any information would be helpful.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 6:21 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Scotland from US

Originally Posted by musicismyhold
Hello, All.
I noticed that there were a lot of helpful people on here.
You see, I want to move to Scotland within the next few years, but I can't find any straight answers. And I have no clue where to begin on this. So, any information would be helpful.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again on the Moving Back to the UK section, but with more details about possible non-EU spouse, children, etc... which must be the reason for asking, and you'll get good advice there.
Good luck!

Last edited by dmu; Feb 8th 2014 at 6:58 am.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 2:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I moved it to MBTTUK, should get more input
Old Feb 8th 2014, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

What do you want to know? Are you a British Citizen already?
Old Feb 8th 2014, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

I am not a British citizen already. But, I fell in love with Scotland when me and my Grandma visited her mom just before she passed.
But, I have no clue where to begin with this. Lol.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 9:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a British citizen already. But, I fell in love with Scotland when me and my Grandma visited her mom just before she passed.
But, I have no clue where to begin with this. Lol.
Are you an EU citizen?
Old Feb 8th 2014, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

I was born here in the US.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 10:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I was born here in the US.
Could you possibly tell us a little more about your situation? It would make it easier to help if we didn't have to play 20 Questions.

For example:

Where are you currently?
What job do you do?
Any family connections to the UK?

Whatsort of information are you looking for?
Old Feb 8th 2014, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

I currently live in the US, where I was born. But, I want to move to Scotland after I fell in love with the country after my Grandma and I visited her mom before she passed. My Grandma was born in, I think, Glasgow. So, the only family connection I have to the UK is my Grandma. She had no brothers or sisters.
The job I do is structural and pipe welding. But, I am currently going through the training for shipfitting. My boss wants me to be more well rounded than just the two areas that I currently do.
The information I am looking for is where to start with this. I have no clue where to begin on this. My Grandma can't help me since so much has changed since she was a little girl.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

but I can't find any straight answers.
Straight answers to what?
Old Feb 9th 2014, 1:48 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't sound like you are eligible for British citizenship if your only UK-born relative was your grandmother. However if you were a Commonwealth citizen you would be eligible for an ancestry visa. Do you have any recent Commonwealth citizen ancestors, a Canadian-born parent or grandparent for instance?
Old Feb 9th 2014, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Not that I know of. My family is mostly from Scotland, Ireland, and Germany.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 2:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I know of. My family is mostly from Scotland, Ireland, and Germany.
Good grief! This is like pulling teeth!

Please tell us more about any and ALL ancestors (specifically lineal ancestors) you have that are/ were citizens of EU countries. I think Ireland is more accommodating about passing citizenship from grandparents.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Maternal Grandma- Scotland
Maternal Grandpa- Munich Germany
Paternal Grandpa- Ireland
Paternal Grandma- Ireland
Father- Ireland (But naturalized US citizen when he was a kid)
Those are the only ones in my family, other than my great-Grandma, that I am 100% sure of where they were born and their citizenship.
Old Feb 9th 2014, 4:50 am
Just Joined

When I talked to my cousin earlier, he suggested that I apply for a Tier 2 Work visa, like he did. He's currently in England working as a software programmer. So, I think I'll talk to him about that more when he calls again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.