Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Move Back UK NHS 6 Month Wait?

Move Back UK NHS 6 Month Wait?

Old Jun 24th 2020, 11:10 am
Just Joined

russellsnr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move Back UK NHS 6 Month Wait?

Hi,Lived in Greece for 14 years due to go back to the UK to live in two weeks time, last time I visited the UK about 4 years ago I saw free eye tests advertised and thought why not as I needed new specs.
Since leaving the UK still paid all taxes there so assumed that I would get the eye test free but no!! the woman advised I had to be a resident in the UK for 6 months with a UK address as although it states free eye test it is actually paid for via the NHS so when I get back in two weeks am I or am I not entitled to what the NHS service offers if I had never left?
Thankyou.
Russ.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 11:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move Back UK NHS 6 Month Wait?

Originally Posted by russellsnr
Hi,Lived in Greece for 14 years due to go back to the UK to live in two weeks time, last time I visited the UK about 4 years ago I saw free eye tests advertised and thought why not as I needed new specs.
Since leaving the UK still paid all taxes there so assumed that I would get the eye test free but no!! the woman advised I had to be a resident in the UK for 6 months with a UK address as although it states free eye test it is actually paid for via the NHS so when I get back in two weeks am I or am I not entitled to what the NHS service offers if I had never left?
Thankyou.
Russ.
NHS eligibility has nothing to do with taxes, it's residency based. So you are only eligible for most NHS care if you are a UK resident. The woman you spoke to was wrong though, you don't have to be a resident for 6 months before being eligible, you're covered as soon as you return in 2 weeks.

HTH.
Old Jun 24th 2020, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

russellsnr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move Back UK NHS 6 Month Wait?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
NHS eligibility has nothing to do with taxes, it's residency based. So you are only eligible for most NHS care if you are a UK resident. The woman you spoke to was wrong though, you don't have to be a resident for 6 months before being eligible, you're covered as soon as you return in 2 weeks.

HTH.
Hi, Thankyou puts mind/s at rest.