Mortgage Penalty

Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mortgage Penalty

I am pretty sure that most of you are or have been home owners, just wondering what your experiences have been with your banks in Canada. What happened when you had decided to move back to the UK and how much the bank punished you for it??
Had to break mine and just wanted to say never take a mortgage with TD!!
Old Oct 5th 2011, 10:30 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgage Penalty

Originally Posted by Guinness
I am pretty sure that most of you are or have been home owners, just wondering what your experiences have been with your banks in Canada. What happened when you had decided to move back to the UK and how much the bank punished you for it??
You had a contract which you obviously did not read. As with most contracts, if you break it there's a penalty. It wouldn't have mattered which Canadian bank was the mortgagee, there would have been a penalty.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We renewed ours in March - if we break early, it carries a penalty of $3000 or interest that we would have paid, whichever is greater. All in the contract before we signed it though, and we know we're not going to be ready to do anything until after that time.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:03 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

For financial reasons we had to break a mortgage before the 5 year term was up, we also had a penalty, it was a low mortgage amount but we had to pay about $4k in penalties as far as I remember.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
For financial reasons we had to break a mortgage before the 5 year term was up, we also had a penalty, it was a low mortgage amount but we had to pay about $4k in penalties as far as I remember.
I wish it had been 4K but it was 9K for 2 years left
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:58 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that sucks, we have no prepayment penalty on our mortgage. I made sure to ask for that. Same on our old house, we sold within a year of refinancing.
Is that the same in UK. Do the mortgages penalize you for paying off early, like if you sold to move?
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Wow that sucks, we have no prepayment penalty on our mortgage. I made sure to ask for that. Same on our old house, we sold within a year of refinancing.
Is that the same in UK. Do the mortgages penalize you for paying off early, like if you sold to move?
I think it depends a lot on whether you stay with the same company or not. We moved a couple of times in the UK, once we just changed the existing mortgage, the other time we paid the penalty and switched because rates had changed a lot, and it actually saved us more over the year than the penalty.

In Canada, we've moved 3 times and not paid a penalty because we stayed with the same company.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:05 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I wish it had been 4K but it was 9K for 2 years left
I guess the percentage amount would be in line with the amount of the mortgage, ours was less than $200k. I am only guessing at the amount we had to pay back but it was around the amount I said, as I have tired to erase my memory of the nightmare situation we found ourselves in
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We had one on ours which we were sure was 2 years, when we tried to refinance we found out it was for 5 years, I think they verbally told us 2 but when we signed the big pile of papers we didn't notice that one actually said 5. When we looked online, it was something that had happened to a number of people.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We had one on ours which we were sure was 2 years, when we tried to refinance we found out it was for 5 years, I think they verbally told us 2 but when we signed the big pile of papers we didn't notice that one actually said 5. When we looked online, it was something that had happened to a number of people.
But one would expect that the British bank sends you an annual statement showing you the mortgage position, such as mine at C&G Lloyds. The statement shows the amount still owing, the years to go and the years until the penalty period elapses and what the penalty currently is - typically 1% of the outstanding balance for each year left in the penalty period (the period of your fixed or discount element of your mortgage).

My penalty period has just thirteen months to go and I watch it very closely.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 8th 2011 at 2:20 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
But one would expect that the British bank sends you an annual statement showing you the mortgage position, such as mine at C&G Lloyds. The statement shows the amount still owing, the years to go and the years until the penalty period elapses and what the penalty currently is - typically 1% of the outstanding balance for each year left in the penalty period (the period of your fixed or discount element of your mortgage).

My penalty period has just thirteen months to go and I watch it very closely.
This is in the US.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

This is in the US.
You responded to MITFH who asked is it the same in the UK.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:31 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Our bank penalises us for paying more than the required amount each month We can pay so mcu extra but if we go over that amount we get a penalty.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:51 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

When you get a mortgage and sign the 30,000 pieces of paper every page is FOR the bank and NOT for you

no wonder everyone hates banks

my house is now so far underwater I need a scuba kit
but should I decide to move back to UK I will have NO QUALMS about mailing them the key and see ya later !
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This is in the US.
Sorry for any confusion, I was replying to the first part of her post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.