Morecambe and Carnforth

Old Aug 27th 2011, 3:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Morecambe and Carnforth

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm a bit nostalgic for the fifties and sixties so I tend to like seedy decline.
Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well I quite like Blackpool for it's tackiness, but I wouldn't want to actually live there.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:03 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I'm a bit nostalgic for the fifties and sixties so I tend to like seedy decline.
Have you been to Coney Island? I adore that place for the exact same reason.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Have you been to Coney Island? I adore that place for the exact same reason.
Coney Island is one of those rare places that makes Blackpool look good. I do like all the derelict-looking subway stations one the way there from Manhattan; that definitely gets you in the mood for arriving there.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 8:47 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Coney Island is one of those rare places that makes Blackpool look good.
Really? I guess I'm going to love Blackpool then

I just love the sense of history at Coney Island - all those family holidays layered over each other across the years. And somehow because it's not my history, it seems more interesting.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 9:28 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I just love the sense of history at Coney Island - all those family holidays layered over each other across the years. And somehow because it's not my history, it seems more interesting.
I quite enjoyed Blackpool when we went last time I was over, I hadn't been since I was a kid in the 70's It's defiantly improved since then. We walked all the way along the front from the tower to pleasure beach it was really nice and very improved, it looked liked they started from each end and there was a patch in the middle still to be done (on the shops side of the road not the beach)

I always fancied a day at Coney Island, hot dogs and all.
Old Aug 27th 2011, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The history is fascinating, but it feels more run down than Blackpool. The latter has been more successful into diversifying into the conference business, albeit at the loss of a little of its historic character.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 1:39 am
Finally Home!

Well, we didn't get to Morecambe or Carnforth but I can report that nearby Milnthorpe is lovely as are the surrounding villages. I also liked Arnside, although that is really tiny.

Someone earlier said there's not much in Milnthorpe, which just goes to show that perception is everything. I suppose if you're looking for nightclubs and high street stores, there's not much there, but we found a good range of everyday shops (small supermarket, pharmacy etc), a few banks, a couple of pubs, an art supply store, a hardware store, a chippy, a few takeaways etc. etc. It's a 20-minute drive to Lancaster or Kendal, about the same distance to the Lakes or the Dales, right on the mainline to Manchester, and surrounded by breathtaking scenery. I'd move there in a flash.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Sep 27th 2011 at 1:44 am.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 6:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't touch Morecambe or Carnforth with a 10 ft bargepole! I was brought up in Warton, small village about 2 miles from Carnforth. My family go back generations there. Carnforth is a dive! Always was and always will be. Lots of anti-social behaviour, rough as a badgers bum. Some beautiful looking villages, Warton, Yealand, Burton, Holme, Over Kellett within easy reach of the M6.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Am so glad you guys have scrubbed Morecambe off the list. Without a doubt the toilet of the North West. What once a time must have been a rather splendid Prom is now rundown miserable buildings that are a shadow of their former self.
Bleak, miserable and only any use for those who are border line suicide cases. A day in Morecambe should either make them decide that life is indeed over and death would be preferable to living in Morecambe
OR
Make them realise that there are sadder and more miserable people on the planet than themselves and that perhaps life is worth living after all.

If you want seaside without the misery then head up to Lytham or St Annes
Old Sep 28th 2011, 11:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Am so glad you guys have scrubbed Morecambe off the list. Without a doubt the toilet of the North West. What once a time must have been a rather splendid Prom is now rundown miserable buildings that are a shadow of their former self.
Bleak, miserable and only any use for those who are border line suicide cases. A day in Morecambe should either make them decide that life is indeed over and death would be preferable to living in Morecambe OR
Make them realise that there are sadder and more miserable people on the planet than themselves and that perhaps life is worth living after all.

If you want seaside without the misery then head up to Lytham or St Annes

It was scrubbed a few weeks back, am heading down south now if I can get a job.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

mpprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant future

Not exactly on the subject, but hoping people here may be able to help.

Morecambe Grammar School 1962-1971

We are organising a reunion, see http://www.mgs1970.com/ and we have a list of ex pupils we would like to contact .

Any help in finding the following pupils is appreciated :

Derek Allen
helen baxter
Iris Barstow
steve.baldrance
Lisa Charnock
sheila clarke
cliff_dinsdale
Sheila Dingley
nancy evans
Sandra Everit
anita finch
iona ferguson
Joan Fox
Linda Docherty
Bill Grace
Brian Gibbon
"Pauline Harrison
frank harland
judith hallahan
susan horner
sylvia jones
lindsay knowles
terry kavanagh
Tony Lock
John mamczak
Susan Midgely
Tim Mills
neva parker
"Rob Sharrock
Helen Shorrocks
John Simpson
linda saxon
stephen stackhouse
Tim Smith
David Tyson
Sarah Towers
christine wild
Diana Wade
Eric Withey
LindsayWhittaker
lorraine ward
Philip Wilson
steve woods
Roger b yates
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpprh

We are organising a reunion, see http://www.mgs1970.com/ and we have a list of ex pupils we would like to contact .

Derek Allen
helen baxter
Iris Barstow
steve.baldrance
Lisa Charnock
sheila clarke
cliff_dinsdale
Sheila Dingley
nancy evans
Sandra Everit
anita finch
iona ferguson
Joan Fox
Linda Docherty
Bill Grace
Brian Gibbon
"Pauline Harrison
frank harland
judith hallahan
susan horner
sylvia jones
lindsay knowles
terry kavanagh
Tony Lock
John mamczak
Susan Midgely
Tim Mills
neva parker
"Rob Sharrock
Helen Shorrocks
John Simpson
linda saxon
stephen stackhouse
Tim Smith
David Tyson
Sarah Towers
christine wild
Diana Wade
Eric Withey
LindsayWhittaker
lorraine ward
Philip Wilson
steve woods
Roger b yates
Have you thought about advertising it in the Lancaster Guardian and the Morecambe Visitor. I don't recognise any of the names, my Dad went to the Cathedral School in Lancaster and my Mum went to Skerton when it was 2 separate schools for Boys and Girls.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Confused1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mpprh

Derek Allen
helen baxter
Iris Barstow
steve.baldrance
Lisa Charnock
sheila clarke
cliff_dinsdale
Sheila Dingley
nancy evans
Sandra Everit
anita finch
iona ferguson
Joan Fox
Linda Docherty
Bill Grace
Brian Gibbon
"Pauline Harrison
frank harland
judith hallahan
susan horner
sylvia jones
lindsay knowles
terry kavanagh
Tony Lock
John mamczak
Susan Midgely
Tim Mills
neva parker
"Rob Sharrock
Helen Shorrocks
John Simpson
linda saxon
stephen stackhouse
Tim Smith
David Tyson
Sarah Towers
christine wild
Diana Wade
Eric Withey
LindsayWhittaker
lorraine ward
Philip Wilson
steve woods
Roger b yates
You might want to consider trying to put this out via Facebook - some old school friends of mine did that, and it is amazing how we all managed to combine the odd friends we still kept in touch with - we are planning a reunion for this year too - we've not see each other for 30 years.