More Oz folks unhappy...?

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_town is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More Oz folks unhappy...?

Now maybe there is a larger number of folks who have moved to Australia on this forum (than those who have moved to the U.S, Canada or other European countries) But it seems to me from reading the posts that a lot more people are wanting to come back to the UK from Australia than anywhere else?

As I say it may be a numbers thing. Maybe 75 percent of the people on here are in Australia. And of course on a forum such as this you never hear from people who are NOT thinking of moving.

I have never been to Australia, but I have a cousin and friend who have lived there for years and (presumably) both like it a lot.

A couple of things occur to me., maybe it is just so much further away, so expensive to get back to visit with reasonable frequency? maybe the climate is too different ? Maybe it is easier to get into (?) so unlike for example USA where there is the long drawn out visa application, it is easier to make a fairly hasty decision to go to Australia? Not being offensive by that last point, I know everyone puts a lot of thought into a move. But I think somehow Australia's door seems more 'open' than most (I could be way wrong here? Never looked into going to Australia so I am assuming this is the case?)
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:48 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More Oz folks unhappy...?

Originally Posted by Chi_town
Now maybe there is a larger number of folks who have moved to Australia on this forum (than those who have moved to the U.S, Canada or other European countries) But it seems to me from reading the posts that a lot more people are wanting to come back to the UK from Australia than anywhere else?

As I say it may be a numbers thing. Maybe 75 percent of the people on here are in Australia. And of course on a forum such as this you never hear from people who are NOT thinking of moving.

I have never been to Australia, but I have a cousin and friend who have lived there for years and (presumably) both like it a lot.

A couple of things occur to me., maybe it is just so much further away, so expensive to get back to visit with reasonable frequency? maybe the climate is too different ? Maybe it is easier to get into (?) so unlike for example USA where there is the long drawn out visa application, it is easier to make a fairly hasty decision to go to Australia? Not being offensive by that last point, I know everyone puts a lot of thought into a move. But I think somehow Australia's door seems more 'open' than most (I could be way wrong here? Never looked into going to Australia so I am assuming this is the case?)
Distance I imagine would be the primary factor with AUS and NZ, for example most Brits that move to Spain don`t tend to go back out of choice and Spain is far more culturally different to the UK than Aus is. You can go from Spain to the UK in 1-2 hours for a cost of around 60-100 euros, in effect you can go to the UK whenever you want and family and friends can visit you here as well easily and cheaply whereas Aus is like being on another planet.
Personally speaking when I was in both USA and Canada I felt very much in the mainstream of life but when I was in Aus despite liking it, I felt I could have been on another planet and this is probably a conscious factor for many as well.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Distance I imagine would be the primary factor with AUS and NZ, for example most Brits that move to Spain don`t tend to go back out of choice and Spain is far more culturally different to the UK than Aus is. You can go from Spain to the UK in 1-2 hours for a cost of around 60-100 euros, in effect you can go to the UK whenever you want and family and friends can visit you here as well easily and cheaply whereas Aus is like being on another planet.
Personally speaking when I was in both USA and Canada I felt very much in the mainstream of life but when I was in Aus despite liking it, I felt I could have been on another planet and this is probably a conscious factor for many as well.
When comared to the US - the majority of those who migrate to the US are going for marriage/family reasons, or have a job already lined up.
BY far the majority of skilled migrants going to Australia have no job waiting for them, which makes life harder from the start. And the family migration area is a lot smaller in Aus than in the US.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:37 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When comared to the US - the majority of those who migrate to the US are going for marriage/family reasons, or have a job already lined up.
BY far the majority of skilled migrants going to Australia have no job waiting for them, which makes life harder from the start. And the family migration area is a lot smaller in Aus than in the US.
I think the reason for this is that a lot of people would choose the USA if they could get residency there, given that this is mission impossible for most Canada, Australia and New Zealand become very viable alternatives to anybody emigrating out of the UK.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:42 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think you like Ritchie Blackmore?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
I think you like Ritchie Blackmore?
He's gone all weird and medieval folk now I'm a Randy Rhoads man myself
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:01 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chi_town
I would imagine that this might be because:

a) the website is called british expats, and
b) Australia is the favoured destination for brits moving abroad.

Add together (a) + (b), and the result is (c) Brits moving back from Australia will be the majority on this forum!
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

Add together (a) + (b), and the result is (c) Brits moving back from Australia will be the majority on this forum!
Re-read the question, this time with at least a semblance of applied intelligence.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:13 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Re-read the question, this time with at least a semblance of applied intelligence.

the title of the thread is "More Oz folks unhappy...?" and the question is:

"But it seems to me from reading the posts that a lot more people are wanting to come back to the UK from Australia than anywhere else?"

The original poster is questioning whether people who move to Australia may end up generally unhappier than those who move to other countries...and he/she goes on to talk give a couple of suggestions as to why this might be the case.

But the point I am making is simple. The original poster's conclusion is only based on what is contained in the British expats forum.

Looking forward to your next half-cooked response Tr1boy, with extra applied intelligence please.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

the title of the thread is "More Oz folks unhappy...?" and the question is:

"But it seems to me from reading the posts that a lot more people are wanting to come back to the UK from Australia than anywhere else?"

The original poster is questioning whether people who move to Australia may end up generally unhappier than those who move to other countries...and he/she goes on to talk give a couple of suggestions as to why this might be the case.

But the point I am making is simple. The original poster's conclusion is only based on what is contained in the British expats forum.

Looking forward to your next half-cooked response Tr1boy, with extra applied intelligence please.
Look up the word 'context', ask a grown up and report back.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:52 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:00 am
Account Open

Talk to the hand, girlfriend.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:05 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Plus there isnt a, im really happy in Australia, forum
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Plus there isnt a, im really happy in Australia, forum
I dunno, you get shot down in flames in the Barbie if you even vaguely hint at dissatisfaction with the place so I'd say that's as close to a "I'm really happy in Australia" forum as you are going to get.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Heljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to beholdHeljinder is a splendid one to behold

Talk to the hand, girlfriend.
Very intelligent response.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.