More on moving to UK.

Old Nov 1st 2003, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Bald Badger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default More on moving to UK.

4.26 am can’t sleep. Where is the most likely place to find work? in the UK,Would it be London? I was thinking of living up to an hour from the CBD by rail but what areas are reasonable to live in regarding rent without being dodgy? Are there opportunities for work out near Heathrow? I could go further out if public transport was reasonably priced. Currently it can take me up to an hour to get the 12 Kilometres to work at walking pace in my car
Regards Johnny Bald Badger
Old Nov 1st 2003, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

gfreeman is an unknown quantity at this point

If travel is your worry, trying living near the end of tube lines, like Morden, Cockfosters or Walthamstow
Old Nov 1st 2003, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/cms..../Searchforajob

give this page time to load

no need to go to cbd for work,any built up suburbs has work.
i live in hayes (middlesex)30 mins from cbd,15 mins from heathrow(plenty of work goin on expanding airport.
meet up with the oz/kws at earls court pubs ,you'll probably get good work contacts
good luck
Old Nov 1st 2003, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hey thats a cool site thanx for the link
Regards Johnny
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:21 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More on moving to UK.

Originally posted by Bald Badger

4.26 am can’t sleep. Where is the most likely place to find work? in the UK,Would it be London? I was thinking of living up to an hour from the CBD by rail but what areas are reasonable to live in regarding rent without being dodgy? Are there opportunities for work out near Heathrow? I could go further out if public transport was reasonably priced. Currently it can take me up to an hour to get the 12 Kilometres to work at walking pace in my car
Where you'd move to really depends on the kind of work you do/can do.

You have to bear in mind that where there's a concentration of jobs in a particular industry, there's probably a lot of competition for such jobs.

Yes, there's jobs near Heathrow but many are probably associated with the airport so if you've got skills/experience that are applicable to an airport type environment. One thought is that many jobs will be outside non-standard Mon-Fridays hours (e.g. weekends, night, shiftwork).

NC Penguin
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 11:18 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: More on moving to UK.

Where abouts are you from in the UK, originally?
Have you thought about finding work around the Midlands? I come from Nottingham and its a large enough city, has loads of work and the house prices are still affordable. Loads work going on at the moment with the new tram lines being laid over the next few years.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

They are laying tramlines?? Is this a retro tourist thing or a serious attempt at solving transport problems? I was in Nottingham about 10 years ago, it was a nice little City, I could live there or Derby, got the worst hangover of my life there O.D.’ed on real ale, ended up in club called the pink coconut, but that’s another story. B.T.Y. I am originally from Fareham but we moved to Norwich till I came to NZ with my parents. Regards Johnny Bald Badger
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:12 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

They are laying tramlines?? Is this a retro tourist thing or a serious attempt at solving transport problems? I was in Nottingham about 10 years ago, it was a nice little City, I could live there or Derby, got the worst hangover of my life there O.D.’ed on real ale, ended up in club called the pink coconut, but that’s another story. B.T.Y. I am originally from Fareham but we moved to Norwich till I came to NZ with my parents. Regards Johnny Bald Badger
Its an attempt at solving the transport problems! Eventually the lines will go to all the towns, now it's just going to some of the closest towns round the city.
You can get some cheaper houses in Derby and it's still not a bad place to live.
I have heard of the 'Pink Coconut' Changed it's name now though!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:35 pm
Banned

sado is an unknown quantity at this point

nottingham now has the highest crime rate in the country areas in and around london are all overpriced shitholes ps you wont get any benifits because your not a kosavan / albanian stay where you are this country is sinkink in its own shit
Old Nov 6th 2003, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

<sinkink in its own shit>

Sinkink???

Old Nov 11th 2003, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Jxab12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Cambridge - it's 42 minutes from Kings Cross on the train - North side of London, or 1 hour 5 mins to Liverpool Street (City of London). Its also an hour from Norwich - assuming you still have ties there. And its a really great place to live. Rent can be steep in the centre of town, but more affordable a few miles out.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by sado
nottingham now has the highest crime rate in the country areas in and around london are all overpriced shitholes ps you wont get any benifits because your not a kosavan / albanian stay where you are this country is sinkink in its own shit

....if only its own!