Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The more I read, the more I feel I don't have a hopes chance in hell....

The more I read, the more I feel I don't have a hopes chance in hell....

Old May 2nd 2009, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Magpie__x is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The more I read, the more I feel I don't have a hopes chance in hell....

I recently posted on the forum about my fiance and I (USC boy and UKC girl) and the best route to take.

We decided to get married in 2 months time when I visit then I come home and file for the CR-1 form.

Only problem is, when we do see - he'll still be in college and have a part time job with very little savings. So the thought that he'd be able to be my sponsor is a joke really isn't it...

I'm trying my best to save as much as I can between now and my planned moving time (about a year/year and a half).....open a joint bank account for the both of us...

Is it worth asking his parents to be our sponsor, alongside his aunt and uncle? I know they'd help us and there's no way my boy will be able to meet the requirements, but I'm pretty sure his mum and dad will. He's 21 so I don't think the embassy will say that his mum and dad will have to provide for him, same with his 19 year old sister.

This is quite possibly the most frustrating thing I've ever done! Has anyone else been in the same position?

Thanks for your help, folks!

Mags,
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:51 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The more I read, the more I feel I don't have a hopes chance in hell....

Are his parents US citizens?

They can *co*-sponsor you (your then-husband would still be your sponsor) if they meet the income requirements. They would have to agree to do so and disclose income and/or assets. They would likely have to meet the income level for a household size of at least four.
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The more I read, the more I feel I don't have a hopes chance in hell....

Originally Posted by Magpie__x
So the thought that he'd be able to be my sponsor is a joke really isn't it.
No, it's not a joke. He's the USC spouse - therefore, he *must* be your sponsor whether he qualifies financially or not.

Is it worth asking his parents to be our sponsor, alongside his aunt and uncle?
Please don't make us hunt to read your entire story. If he does not qualify financially, then *you* must have a joint sponsor - any USC or PR, over age 18, living in the US. The joint sponsor must earn enough income (or have sufficient assets at 5x the 125% of the poverty level) for their household.

So, if it's mom, dad, and sister in the household, then they'll need income of at least $27,562... 3 of them + you = 4. If they don't have the income, they'll need assets equal to $110,248 (4 x 5x assets). And, that assumes that neither you nor your husband are living with them when you move to the US.

Check here for details: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf.

He's 21 so I don't think the embassy will say that his mum and dad will have to provide for him, same with his 19 year old sister.
Yes, they might - so be prepared for it.

Ian
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:52 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I recently posted on the forum about my fiance and I (USC boy and UKC girl) and the best route to take.

We decided to get married in 2 months time when I visit then I come home and file for the CR-1 form.

Only problem is, when we do see - he'll still be in college and have a part time job with very little savings. So the thought that he'd be able to be my sponsor is a joke really isn't it...

I'm trying my best to save as much as I can between now and my planned moving time (about a year/year and a half).....open a joint bank account for the both of us...

Is it worth asking his parents to be our sponsor, alongside his aunt and uncle? I know they'd help us and there's no way my boy will be able to meet the requirements, but I'm pretty sure his mum and dad will. He's 21 so I don't think the embassy will say that his mum and dad will have to provide for him, same with his 19 year old sister.

This is quite possibly the most frustrating thing I've ever done! Has anyone else been in the same position?

Thanks for your help, folks!

Mags,

Simple.
Start by surfing to uscis.gov and clicking the forms link at the top of the page.
Scroll down to I-864. Download the instructions and the form and start looking at it.

No need to be intimidated by the unknown without having a look for yourself first.

It's very important to understand that your petitioning husband *will* be your Sponsor. If he doesn't earn enough money or have enough assets, you need a Joint Sponsor (details in the instructions).

This is also quite common.
Old May 2nd 2009, 4:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Also make sure that the folks understand their responsibility about being a co-sponsor as it's not a responsibility to be taken lightly either because they would be required to pay back benefits that you might claim and even divorce would not break that requirement. Becoming a USC, dying, leaving the US and relinquishing your PR status or earning 40 quarters are what's required to fulfil the sponsorship role.
Old May 2nd 2009, 5:02 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

M,

Ummmm ... the financial requirement for sponsorship isn't a whole lot. Immigration aside, if he's still in college working only part time and with very little savings who did you two figure was going to pay the bills?

I would expect that whoever is already planning to support you should be willing to sign on 'officially' as Joint Sponsor.

Regards, JEff

Old May 2nd 2009, 1:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever happened to the concept of getting married when
we can afford it... just another thing that has passed me by ...
Old May 2nd 2009, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for, well the majority, for your kind words.

Ian - thank you for the link, but there's no need for you to be so unpleasant. I'm not stupid, just overwhelmed.

I'm just getting really het up.

We will have enough to pay bills and live to a good standard when I come out. No one is helping us this is us doing it for ourselves. And his mum and dad will have enough to help us out when it comes to the VISA process.

So - fiance = sponsor, parents = joint sponsor just to cover us incase neither of us have the money, kinda like a guarantor when you buy a house?

Does this mean there are different forms for us to consider? If they have to pay anything I know my fiance and I will pay them back.

I'll have another dig around the website - thanks again
I feel like USCIS website and I are going to be very well acquainted by the time this is done!

Ray - we'll be married but this isn't our wedding. Find me another way for him and I to actually live together and I'll do it. Its hard when you're 4000 miles apart, as I'm sure you know hence being on this website.
Old May 2nd 2009, 2:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So - fiance = sponsor, parents = joint sponsor just to cover us incase neither of us have the money, kinda like a guarantor when you buy a house?
Close, but the joint sponsor really has nothing to do with "us"... only "you". The joint sponsor becomes liable for repaying the US government *if* you receive means-tested benefits. The joint sponsor is *not* responsible for your day-to-day living costs. If "us" finds itself with no money to pay the rent, the joint sponsor is *not* responsible to help you out.

If they have to pay anything I know my fiance and I will pay them back.
The joint sponsor signs a binding agreement to repay the US government. The US government doesn't care if you pay back the joint sponsor.

I feel like USCIS website and I are going to be very well acquainted by the time this is done!
Immigration is like learning a new language... you'll get it.

Find me another way for him and I to actually live together and I'll do it.
With all due respect, he can move to the UK... much easier than you moving to the US! It is an option, even if you dismiss it as such.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; May 2nd 2009 at 2:22 pm.
Old May 2nd 2009, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Ok so I get it, they're just there in case I claim benefits and have to repay the government any money.
RIGHT.
Thank you.

....and he could, but he still has at least 2.5 years left in his degree, I only have 1. I want to move out there as fast as I can because this hard, as you probably know.

So thanks for the help
Old May 3rd 2009, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Teira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really niceTeira is just really nice

Does your other half have a student loan? This can be classed as assets and could techinically be used to support you. If your inlaws cosponsor they would need to be earning an aweful lot to meet the guidelines. If it's just you 2 you only need to be making $18k aprox a year. This can be in assets too so his student loans would count. Any money that you have would help too (savings investments etc).
I know where your coming from I've been though this with my husband. I am a student and he put off going to university so we could live together. It's a tough situation and i wish you luck. I hope you find out what will work for you.
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teira
Does your other half have a student loan? This can be classed as assets and could techinically be used to support you. If your inlaws cosponsor they would need to be earning an aweful lot to meet the guidelines. If it's just you 2 you only need to be making $18k aprox a year. This can be in assets too so his student loans would count. Any money that you have would help too (savings investments etc).
I know where your coming from I've been though this with my husband. I am a student and he put off going to university so we could live together. It's a tough situation and i wish you luck. I hope you find out what will work for you.
But using assets, they would need to be x5 in value to annual salary, including cash....which has already been mentioned....
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
But using assets, they would need to be x5 in value to annual salary, including cash....which has already been mentioned....
When sponsoring a spouse or child, the USC need only show 3X. Everyone else, 5X.
Fairly recent change.
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

So is your hubby to be employed at all right now? How are you planning to live. pay bills, eat, etc?

My husband earns a fair wage, but we find it really tough living on his wage alone...I still cannot work as I do not have my work permit yet...I wish I had saved a LOT harder in the year before I flew out here to get married.

Money isn't everything but it helps.

Is there any way you could both take some time to save some cash and he could get a job before you start filing, etc?
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by meauxna
When sponsoring a spouse or child, the USC need only show 3X. Everyone else, 5X.
Fairly recent change.
that's still a wedge of cash...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.