A monthly UK budget

Old Mar 4th 2018, 9:09 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A monthly UK budget

Originally Posted by minhan
My two kids currently take piano, football, swim and Taekwondo as after school activities. We eat home cook food most days. Currently, we only have 1 car as I don't work and my husband works from home.

The thing is my in law lives in Wirral and I don't think my husband can find a job with his skill so we will have to settle somewhere that he can travel to London. We know it's expensive to live in London so a house with decent size for family of 4 will be good. We spend about 2000 USD per month for our food and utility bills.

I'm not British so have to get health insurance.
Everything depends on housing costs and, if anywhere near London, commuting costs. Daily living costs, health insurance costs, Taekwondo costs are not that significant a part of the equation until you nail down where you will live.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Rock2089 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Figures from 2013, per month, 2 adults, GBP -

Rent & council tax, small (700 sq ft, 2 bed) cottage: 856
Gas & electric: 100
Water & sewage: 34
Internet / landline: 35
TV license:12
Dental plan (for 2): 44
Cars (*2, MX5s, 10 years plus), my commute 66 miles round trip, OH 10 miles: 400
Food, toiletries, household, plonk etc: 500
Clothes, shoes: 75
Entertainment: 150
Holidays (equiv monthly): 250
Insurances: 45
Contingency: 50

Total: 2551 (I think!)
]
thanks
Old Jul 18th 2018, 10:15 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
interesting. half of 400 pounds is 200 pounds or roughly 250$ or $3000 a year. if phone, internet, electricity, water, garbage in Midwest in area I was in was only $100 a month combined, then that is $150 a month, for food, medical, car maintenance , car insurance,household supplies and everything else for a couple (OP said a couple). Now electricity/water was much higher than that but lets look at the $150 per month figure. We for family of 4 $100 a week on food but we didn't eat packaged or frozen foods and we liked to eat well and healthy, so perhaps for a couple instead of dividing that figure in 2, lets divide into 3, $33 a week or $143 a month. But lets say someone considers eating junk low quality food is acceptable and only $25 a week for food for 2. Or $108 per month.

So we arrive at ( and still excluding petrol) :

$100 for phone, electricity, water, garbage
$108 for food
-------
$208
$250 ( "one could live on half" that amount quoted -400 pounds - for a couple- and not being even frugal it is written or the figure is "crazy expensive")
-------
$42 The Difference- to cover car insurance, car maintenance, any clothing needs, any medical care premiums or prescriptions, toiletries. And then I didn't figure cable TV that some find a necessity.

I have to admit I find it hard to believe a couple could live like that in the USA (or UK) comfortably without being extremely frugal. I must be missing something. $42 a month left over for a couple doesn't sound a like very much to me. what am I missing ?
Where exactly did you find combined bills of $100 in the Midwest?? I live in a one bed apartment in the Midwest and my electric alone is $100...

Originally Posted by sam60
Thanks for all the feedback, Infact I’m relocating to the Preston / Blackpool area so less expensive that the South. I suppose my question is now ....how much should I budget for electric/gas in a studio / one bedroom flat? Water rates?mobile/tv/internet package connection?
I'm so sorry to hear that!!
Old Jul 19th 2018, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

JMW634 is an unknown quantity at this point

So, a bit of good news for you. As a landlord I can tell you, you should not need home insurance the landlord cover's that or should do, if not take it up with the council it's not your responsibility.
Forgot to say, don't ask for a smart meter whatever you do they are a rip off.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 20th 2018 at 1:08 am. Reason: get rid of the bold
Old Jul 25th 2018, 11:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JMW634
So, a bit of good news for you. As a landlord I can tell you, you should not need home insurance the landlord cover's that or should do, if not take it up with the council it's not your responsibility.
Forgot to say, don't ask for a smart meter whatever you do they are a rip off.
Smart meters are now being supplied free by energy companies ?
Old Jul 28th 2018, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michaelr711
Where exactly did you find combined bills of $100 in the Midwest?? I live in a one bed apartment in the Midwest and my electric alone is $100...

I'm so sorry to hear that!!
I was just underestimating the electricity to highlight the response about the strange prior estimate of what one could live on in the states.

I was in Ohio, and electric bill much higher than that considering if one is on electric hear the charges in the winter in particular. The electric bill charges were insane in winter time. In the house we lived in easily 350 a month , but it was a large house. Part of problem was we had well water and we found the old pump ate up electricity, when we replaced charges went down a bit.