A monthly UK budget

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A monthly UK budget

Originally Posted by Benson55
Really depends on your lifestyle.
Quality of food, car type and amount of travel, going out, clothes you buy, TV and internet.
Other folks can advise who may b sin the same situation with kids and rent but everyone is different.
Basic lifestyle. 1 used car probably at least 10 years old, using buses and trains too. Eat out twice a month, no fancy clothes (hardly ever buy any these days), no paid tv, cheapest internet. We are happy to tighten the belt, but just wanted a rough idea if one salary of 35k would cut it, or would that mean we would struggle. We do like to buy decent, healthy food for home cooking. Travel can wait.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

If thats nett after tax etc then ya will be ok if its gross then its less of course but should be on. I notice cars are cheap as everyone seems to want new ones so the old used stock is plentiful.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

If thats nett after tax etc then ya will be ok if its gross then its less of course but should be on. I notice cars are cheap as everyone seems to want new ones so the old used stock is plentiful.
Its gross salary (and just a guess at this point from job ads I've seen). I worked out the take home would be about 2265 quid a month, plus about 30 quid child benefit I think for the 2 kids. With rent and council tax eating up best part of a grand, I wasn't sure that 1300 quid a month was enough to get by for a family of 4 used to earning 1.5 times that. By the way, we've got 3 cats too that would probably come with us. last time I was living in the UK the NHS didn't treat cats! They can be expensive to keep healthy.

Last edited by Psyman; Mar 2nd 2018 at 7:29 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

So 1300 MINUS say, going out 200, minus internet and tv 100, minus petrol say 100, minus decent Dentist say 150 (4 people), electricity 100, gas 50, clothes 150, food say 400, emergency say 100, rent and tax 1000.

Thats 2,750 a month on these rough figures.
Looks like if these figures were right you'd be over, maybe not if you cut down more, maybe plug your own figures in and see what happens. Does look like a struggle unless wife works of course. Then there are constant kids stuff like clothes, toys, computers, phone charges, trips for kids with school, out of school stuff, your own pleasures of course.

35k ain't a lot nowadays.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry meant to say 2265 MINUS...still be careful..
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

My sister in Melton Mowbray who has been through this with 2 kids took a look.
She asked where is the car tax, insurance and maintenance add 100 a month.
Also taking trains and buses costs money.....no idea there.

She says it does not look like you can make it with that rent, can you get anything cheaper?
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

So 1300 MINUS say, going out 200, minus internet and tv 100, minus petrol say 100, minus decent Dentist say 150 (4 people), electricity 100, gas 50, clothes 150, food say 400, emergency say 100, rent and tax 1000.

Looks like if these figures were right you'd be over, maybe not if you cut down more, maybe plug your own figures in and see what happens. Does look like a struggle unless wife works of course. Then there are constant kids stuff like clothes, toys, computers, phone charges, trips for kids with school, out of school stuff, your own pleasures of course.

I wouldn't dream of paying 100 for internet/tv. Just the web which I think is probably 20 or 25 quid. I spend about 150 on clothes a year, if that, rather than a month, same for the wife. Kids have a lot of used clothes or hand me downs, same for toys. We spend about $30/month on two mobile phones (no data). Hope our teeth aren't so bad to pay 150 a month on them. Wife has only had 1 filling he whole life, and I just spent about $10k upgrading from old NHS dentistry!
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

My sister in Melton Mowbray who has been through this with 2 kids took a look.
She asked where is the car tax, insurance and maintenance add 100 a month.
Also taking trains and buses costs money.....no idea there.

She says it does not look like you can make it with that rent, can you get anything cheaper?
Looks like a basic 3 bed house is at least 825 a month, and have to add council tax for family of 4. I'm presuming a provincial town in the south east, but could try somewhere else like S. Wales where my family is originally from. All job location dependent, but would be nice to be not too far a drive from Dover and family, as one reason we'd move to the UK would be to be closer to family. Another cost we have right now is life insurance which we'd hope to keep.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

go on Rightmove and check the rents out.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:39 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

When I was moving back I downloaded the ONS excel sheet of average UK household expenditure and added my own columns adding and subtracting from that (i.e. I added more on eating out, removed the cost of having a dog etc)

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...yearending2017

The sheet is here:
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...itureuktablea1
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

go on Rightmove and check the rents out.
Yeah that's where I got my rent figures from.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman
Looks like a basic 3 bed house is at least 825 a month, and have to add council tax for family of 4. I'm presuming a provincial town in the south east, but could try somewhere else like S. Wales where my family is originally from. All job location dependent, but would be nice to be not too far a drive from Dover and family, as one reason we'd move to the UK would be to be closer to family. Another cost we have right now is life insurance which we'd hope to keep.
Do remember though that the UK is fairly small and you can be in a very different part of the U.K. but still a drive to Dover.

Personally, I would avoid the south and south east due to housing costs.

I earn £30k. We don't have children but my wife doesn't work. Have a nice country cottage and lead a comfortable lifestyle.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

These figures seem crazy to me. I spend £20 a month for internet. Clothes maybe £300 a year for all 4 of us. Dentist, about that a year for all 4 of us (couple of check ups, hygienist etc), certainly not a month! Going out £200 would be a meal out every week, we don't do that and certainly wouldn't if we were on a budget, so that could be reduced considerably.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Rock2089 is an unknown quantity at this point

if both partners working and annually 40,000 with a family of 4 (2 kids and 2 adults)
is this salary is ok.

if anyone can tel me the coast of organic chicken,fish and homeopath doctor charges.

Last edited by Rock2089; Mar 3rd 2018 at 3:58 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Figures from 2013, per month, 2 adults, GBP -

Rent & council tax, small (700 sq ft, 2 bed) cottage: 856
Gas & electric: 100
Water & sewage: 34
Internet / landline: 35
TV license:12
Dental plan (for 2): 44
Cars (*2, MX5s, 10 years plus), my commute 66 miles round trip, OH 10 miles: 400
Food, toiletries, household, plonk etc: 500
Clothes, shoes: 75
Entertainment: 150
Holidays (equiv monthly): 250
Insurances: 45
Contingency: 50

Total: 2551 (I think!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.