Wikiposts

Monitor Cable

Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:10 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Monitor Cable

I had been toying with the idea of taking my PC back to the UK, and I was going against it as I couldn't see a voltage converter switch on the back. Turns out, I'm a complete idiot as I'd been looking for a giant on/off type switch, and it isn't, it's a little red slider thingy and my PC has one for UK voltage. Yay!

I play an online game and it's easier to take my PC and software and make the necessary account changes for it once in the UK than it is to deal with losing my whole year and a half's worth of play because I can't use the same account on UK software without using the US software to make the changes. Confused? Yes, I was too until I understood the concept of different software formats, hehe. Bottom line is, it's also a good little 'putah and I'd like to keep it for other things as well.

I have been given a kickass 20" widescreen LCD monitor to take with me, and as it's free, even if I ship it over, it'll still be cheaper than buying one over there, but I have a small dilemma. The detachable power cable will obviously need to be switched to a UK one, and I can't for the life of me find one to buy. Does anyone know of any good parts stores in the UK that could sell this? I tried Acer's actual website, and I haven't had a response and it's way too expensive to call them.

My brother suggested one of those black converter plugs, but I'm a little worried it'll reduce the power too much or get too hot with continuous use, as that's what happened with a hairdryer I brought to the US. Mind you, that converter was a crap travel one I got for about 2 quid.

Last edited by katesbackagain; Jan 21st 2008 at 8:28 am.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monitor Cable

power cable is probably just a standard power cable, you'll be able to buy that at any computer store, dixons, currys etc, about 3 quid.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point

You can simply buy the power cord like Bob suggested or you can just change the plug on one end if you know how to.

Also, be sure to check for voltage on the back of your monitor as well. Most LCD monitors show extended voltage range instead of dual voltage like your PC. If it says something like 100-240v 50-60H, then it should work in either country without any converters. Just change the plug or the power cable.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:31 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baadil
100-240v 50-60H
This is the exact wording for the power info on the back. So I can just get a generic power cable and be okay, that's great news and it's all working out better than I thought (or rather dreaded!). Woo hoo!!!!!!!

Thank you both for your info.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
This is the exact wording for the power info on the back. So I can just get a generic power cable and be okay, that's great news and it's all working out better than I thought (or rather dreaded!). Woo hoo!!!!!!!

Thank you both for your info.
Glad 'could help :-)

Happy computing and gaming. Which game do you play if I may ask?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:17 am
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by Baadil
Glad 'could help :-)

Happy computing and gaming. Which game do you play if I may ask?
Final Fantasy XI. My husband and 2 colleagues got me into it and it was like pulling teeth. I've never been into that series and vowed I never would be. Then I tried it just to hush them all up, and now guess who's the only one still playing?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Final Fantasy XI. My husband and 2 colleagues got me into it and it was like pulling teeth. I've never been into that series and vowed I never would be. Then I tried it just to hush them all up, and now guess who's the only one still playing?
Wow. I would have to say, that is one game I never got into. I am not a big gamer but play a few here and there. I did one of the Final Fantasy (X I think or IX) for PS2 but never really got into it. :-)