Mobile Phone Service

Old Mar 28th 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile Phone Service

Hi everyone,

A thought that keeps running through my mind lately is mobile phone service in the UK. I have had not complaints with it here, I have a pay-as-you-go phone here with Virgin Mobile. It allows me to call direct to Scotland without a huge bill. I do not have a landline.

Okay, what is the best deal in the UK? Do I need to have a landline in order to have internet service, and how much does this cost? Or, can I go with a mobile plan, no landline, and internet service separate? I do not want a huge bill for these things, obviously.

Also, when I've been home I notice the phones friends use (pay-as-you-go mobiles) tend not to have great service inside buildings. I would definitely need good service inside buildings if it was my only phone service. And, do I do pay-as-you-go or sign a contract for a mobile phone?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I really can't afford to pay a bundle...any helpful comments will be very much appreciated
Old Mar 28th 2010, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

smokin69 has a spectacular aura aboutsmokin69 has a spectacular aura aboutsmokin69 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Mobile Phone Service

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Hi everyone,

A thought that keeps running through my mind lately is mobile phone service in the UK. I have had not complaints with it here, I have a pay-as-you-go phone here with Virgin Mobile. It allows me to call direct to Scotland without a huge bill. I do not have a landline.

Okay, what is the best deal in the UK? Do I need to have a landline in order to have internet service, and how much does this cost? Or, can I go with a mobile plan, no landline, and internet service separate? I do not want a huge bill for these things, obviously.

Also, when I've been home I notice the phones friends use (pay-as-you-go mobiles) tend not to have great service inside buildings. I would definitely need good service inside buildings if it was my only phone service. And, do I do pay-as-you-go or sign a contract for a mobile phone?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I really can't afford to pay a bundle...any helpful comments will be very much appreciated

Hi Marmalade
since returning to the uk after living in Australia, im on pay-as-you-go with T-mobile which i have very good coverage where ever, but i have a land line for internet, as i chose to, but there do mobile internet so check it out all info' on web site
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Recently in UK I had a payg with O2 and a bolt on internet for my phone and that worked really well as I could check emails etc on my phone for the month I was there. I know that DS has an iphone contract with O2 and a broadband dongle with them and seems quite happy with them although he does seem to have problems getting reception in my parents' house in rural Cambridgeshire. I didnt have any trouble at all so it may be a 3G thing for him.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

i've been doing research on this too

for some of the OP's questions, why not check out the websites of the main providers, e.g. Three, O2, Vodaphone, they have service coverage maps showing where you can get indoor reception, oudoor only, or none, yes none!!! even in inhabited areas (I was in Widecombe on Dartmoor last year, no reception there on any network according to the local-yokuls, so I guess they all have satellite phones )

These websites will also give you all the details you want about payment options. UK has improved dramatically over the years. I was thinking PAYG, but now you can get monthly contracts for as little as £10 per month with plenty of included minutes, no long-term contract, no need to buy a handset and all the other requirements that used to be compulsorily included. Stay away from mobile internet, quite expensive. I note that cable TV companies offer TV packages + broadband + landline telephone with the top level package costing only £58. Try checking out Sky, Virgin or BT.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john5655
i've been doing research on this too

for some of the OP's questions, why not check out the websites of the main providers, e.g. Three, O2, Vodaphone, they have service coverage maps showing where you can get indoor reception, oudoor only, or none, yes none!!! even in inhabited areas (I was in Widecombe on Dartmoor last year, no reception there on any network according to the local-yokuls, so I guess they all have satellite phones )

These websites will also give you all the details you want about payment options. UK has improved dramatically over the years. I was thinking PAYG, but now you can get monthly contracts for as little as £10 per month with plenty of included minutes, no long-term contract, no need to buy a handset and all the other requirements that used to be compulsorily included. Stay away from mobile internet, quite expensive. I note that cable TV companies offer TV packages + broadband + landline telephone with the top level package costing only £58. Try checking out Sky, Virgin or BT.
Good tips thanks for the info..does anyone Know if it is cheaper to use my vodaphone pre paid sim to keep in contact with my Oh who will be staying in Aus for a few months so we can chat without it costing the earth or just change to a Uk sim? ...also thank you for the info on Hong Kong...much appreciated...we are there for 7 days....and cannot wait...I
Old Mar 29th 2010, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

there are heaps of calling cards available giving cheap rates, you buy them at convenience stores, and i assume you can but these in Australia too

if you have your own landline when you get to UK, you'll find overseas calls are much cheaper than you might think, 2p a minute is average

but your best bet is skype if you have a computer with webcam at both ends, then all your video calls are free
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Brits1 I wouldnt use your Aus sim in UK, the international roaming fees are crippling! I'd be going for the calling cards if you want to chat at any length - or skype of course. The down side of a UK sim is that it will cost your Aus based husband more in sms so if he is on a limited plan for texting he could go over his limit (my DH went well over his $50 cap when I was away for a month)
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Brits1 I wouldnt use your Aus sim in UK, the international roaming fees are crippling! I'd be going for the calling cards if you want to chat at any length - or skype of course. The down side of a UK sim is that it will cost your Aus based husband more in sms so if he is on a limited plan for texting he could go over his limit (my DH went well over his $50 cap when I was away for a month)
Thank you for the information...I hope we will have a rental asap and have a landline....our families are always harping on about how cheap it is for them to phone us here in WA ...(I use to get worried when they were on the phone so long because of the cost to them)...the internet seems to be a heck of a lot cheaper as well...
Old Mar 30th 2010, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

living in Cornwall every mobile is patchy to ring while at home on my mobile I have to walk 200 yards up the road this is the same for everyone my fault for living between dartmoor and bodim moor
it took 10 days for BT to get the phone line sorted this is standard, we pay something like £30 a month for Broadband and all UK calls anytime with line rental, which is not bad
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Janey

I'm thinking of West Devon area as a place to settle and quite fancy the Tamar Valley between Plymouth and Tavistock, will I have problems with mobile phone reception there do you think? I'm also not sure about availability of some cable TV networks, do you have any ideas on that?

Thanks

John
Old Apr 1st 2010, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John
it does depend on where I live a couple of mile up the road but as we live in the shadow of kit hill hence the issue with reception, I had no problems when I live a little further down the road before with t mobile it is just pactchy with the lovely hills!
TV is fine as the west country is now digital! before we could not get channel 5 without sky now have no problems the digi boxes are great! Our propoerty also has sky although we do not use it. I have lived here since 2003 with the exception of 18months in NZ so fire away any questions! Tavistock is lovely btw
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone for all of your help and suggestions. I will definitely be doing some digging into what is the best deal for me. Thanks