Is a million GBP enough?

Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is a million GBP enough?

Is a Million GBP enough for a couple to retire on in the UK? No other income.

I'm aware that there are many variables but nevertheless I'd appreciate some thought.

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 10th 2013 at 5:11 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:33 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is a million GBP enough?

I'll take a crack at this

On the basis that everything you have (all assets) have been converted to cash. You are homeless on the street & have the million & depending on your lifestyle needs & wants... lets begin

Basic living

1. Where in the UK do you want to live - because one-million can be spent outright on a house in certain parts of the UK.

2. Would you rent or buy - if you buy, what percentage of the cool million would go towards the outright buy of a house/accommodation?

3. Are you healthy & have no need to use the money for medical care?

4. On the basis that you use 25% of the money to buy a property - that'll leave you with 750k.

5. On the basis that you will live 25 more years - then that'd give you 30k/per or approx 575/week to live off & after 25 years its all gone

6. No worries about investing it, or if you did & could get an ISA paying 3-5% paying you 25k/yr - is that enough to live on or would you also draw down some of the capital?

7 The other consideration - are you planning on leaving any of that money to someone

Trust that helped you

Last edited by not2old; Sep 10th 2013 at 5:37 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Great info.
Probably would buy, 250K, Scottish cottage.
Healthy.
30K, without a mortgage is not bad if we can keep up with inflation.
And I imagine keeping most invested will help. Can't do an ISA though, I think, being US citizens.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 6:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
Thanks. Great info.
Healthy.
30K, without a mortgage is not bad if we can keep up with inflation.
And I imagine keeping most invested will help. Can't do an ISA though, I think, being US citizens.
That would leave you with 750k. Annuities yield about 5% at the moment so that would give you £37,500 income per year so yes, definitely enough to live on.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 6:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Great info.
of course the next question from me would be - location, location, location - do you have a place in mind?

BTW, good luck with your plans

Last edited by not2old; Sep 10th 2013 at 7:21 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Trossachs area, or Perthshire I think.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Can't do an ISA though, I think, being US citizens.
If you are a US citizen, you could do a true 'Cash ISA' without any reporting problems. You do have to declare the interest on the US return (with no UK tax credits available). They should be viewed the same as an ordinary savings account.

Only problem is right now, they're only paying roughly 2.0 to 2.5% tops. But in five years, who knows where they will be.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think I'll keep my investments in the U.S anyway, 401k and Roth's
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

with the 401K's & Roths (need educating on this) how does the drawdown or withdrawals and any tax implications that would reduce the amount you mentioned in the OP, or have you already factored that in?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'll keep my investments in the U.S anyway, 401k and Roth's
Have you looked into annuities vs drawdown vs fixed interest (e.g., TIAA Traditional)?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I'll follow this thread with interest ( no pun intended ). There are so may variables that a definitive answer is impossible, nonetheless, it'll be interesting to see what scenarios are suggested. My biggest fear, as I've mentioned before, is the government moving the goalposts and ruining best laid plans.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 11:09 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Is a Million GBP enough for a couple to retire on in the UK? No other income.

I'm aware that there are many variables but nevertheless I'd appreciate some thought.
Just a quick question, do you qualify to retire to the UK? ie, are you British?

Just a quick google search gave me this: http://www.webbimmigration.com/retirement_to_the_uk.htm

ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS

To enter the UK under this immigration category, the following requirements must be met:

. the applicant must be at least 60 years old; and

. have under his or her control (and disposable in the UK) an income of not less than £25, 000 per annum,

. be able to demonstrate a close connection with the UK,

. be able and willing to maintain and accommodate themselves (and any dependants) indefinitely without taking employment, and

. intend to make the UK their main home.

There are three points in particular which are of particular importance: the financial requirement; the close connection requirement; and the ability and willingness to maintain oneself indefinitely without working. These are discussed in more detail below.

Last edited by Trixie_b; Sep 10th 2013 at 11:17 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yup, an Airdrie boy me
But thanks!

In terms of strategies Nun over on the US section has lots of great advice. I really just wanted to get a feeling if, with good management, a million would provide a good retirement since I've been away from the UK for 15 years. hoping to return in four or five, to Scotland.

Last edited by Hotscot; Sep 10th 2013 at 11:42 pm.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 2:36 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, an Airdrie boy me
But thanks!

In terms of strategies Nun over on the US section has lots of great advice. I really just wanted to get a feeling if, with good management, a million would provide a good retirement since I've been away from the UK for 15 years. hoping to return in four or five, to Scotland.
Just checking! There has been a series of articles recently for the best places to retire that seem to completely miss the immigration issue.

Good luck.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 8:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is a definite yes, unless your money management skills are worse than a Labour government it will be no problem at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.