Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

This might change your mind about moving back

This might change your mind about moving back

Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This might change your mind about moving back

Originally Posted by pommybird
Thanks birdy - don't usually bother replying to these dross posts but it just gets my goat that people occasionally come onto this forum attaching some dramatic headline thinking it will make a difference to how we think - HELLO -this is British Expats - we all live/have lived here and have family here - for the love of God we do not need to be quoted meaningless, hyped up media mumbo jumbo to make an informed decision about living in the UK

O.K rant over - as you were!!
With you on that one.
Its quite funny as some suggest we're going back to something like "Escape from New York". I'm looking forward to it but may invest in a hoodie or 2 so I can assimilate more easily
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:35 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird
Thanks birdy - don't usually bother replying to these dross posts but it just gets my goat that people occasionally come onto this forum attaching some dramatic headline thinking it will make a difference to how we think - HELLO -this is British Expats - we all live/have lived here and have family here - for the love of God we do not need to be quoted meaningless, hyped up media mumbo jumbo to make an informed decision about living in the UK

O.K rant over - as you were!!
I agree PB.

The difference between us and those who are yet to come here is that we have lived in BOTH countries and have the privelege of being able to make a fair comparison based on facts, experience and weighing up what we want adn need from life based on our own realities, not hopes and dreams of what we WANT somewhere to be because we havent experienced it yet.
Although i have been away from UK for several years, i have been back on numerous occasions. I listen to Sky news UK everyday. I talked to my kids and friends in London daily. I know what the UK is all about. I spent 30+ plus years living it.
Its no utopia thats for sure, but it is where i belong and where i know i will feel happiest.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I agree PB.

The difference between us and those who are yet to come here is that we have lived in BOTH countries and have the privelege of being able to make a fair comparison based on facts, experience and weighing up what we want adn need from life based on our own realities, not hopes and dreams of what we WANT somewhere to be because we havent experienced it yet.
Although i have been away from UK for several years, i have been back on numerous occasions. I listen to Sky news UK everyday. I talked to my kids and friends in London daily. I know what the UK is all about. I spent 30+ plus years living it.
Its no utopia thats for sure, but it is where i belong and where i know i will feel happiest.
Yet again Flea. ( Wish I'd known you when I was living in Sydney)
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:39 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Yet again Flea. ( Wish I'd known you when I was living in Sydney)
The feeling is mutual Birdy. Such a shame!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:44 am
Just Joined

roxy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alicecat
Like parents who say that kids today are 'different' and that is the reason they can't control them. The only thing difference is the way the adults are treating kids. Noone seems to step up to be the adult these days.
It comes down to permissive parenting, everyone thinks their child is a prince/princess and everyone wants to be their child's best friend. Chldren do not know what is best for them. This attitude is having dire consequences for society. I spent 18 months in the UK supply teaching and nearly had a breakdown. Where I lived (Wandsworth, London) there were gangs of youths roaming aroung bashing people up, there was a real sense of menace in the air, getting on a bus at night was a nightnare. I can see real truths in that article, regardless of who the author is.

Last edited by roxy; Jun 21st 2007 at 12:40 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by roxy
It comes down to permissive parenting, everyone thinks their child is a prince/princess and everyone wants to be their child's best friend. Chldren do not know what is best for them. This attitude is having dire consequences for society. I spent 18 months in the UK supply teaching and nearly had a breakdown. Where I lived (Wandsworth, London) there was gangs of youths raoming aroung bashing people up, there was a real sense of menace in the air, getting on a bus at night was a nightname. I can see real truths in that article, regardless of who the author is.
That's exactly what I said; children need to be taught!!!
I always seem to be a witness of bad behavior on a bus
But the other day there was a boy(about 12 years) LAYING ( in his school uniform) on the bit where people have to put their bags, it was at the front so the busdriver did see him. There were a lot of available seats. I was waiting for the driver to tell him to get off and to SIT on a seat....In my eyes the boy wasn't safe at all!
Pfffffff, I could have waited till the end of time!!!
Just before I got out I said to the boy; Come on matey, have a seat...
He looked at me puzzled but said; Ok!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:03 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trutje
We all make mistakes!! Bad parenting is a repeated behavior!!
There's a world of difference between a mistake and negligance. And between taking responsibility for our own actions and trying to find someone else to blame.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Geordie George
There's a world of difference between a mistake and negligance. And between taking responsibility for our own actions and trying to find someone else to blame.
So it's ok for you that sick f***s can put their hands on innocent children then!? That was the reaction of their action!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:00 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

So it's ok for you that sick f***s can put their hands on innocent children then!? That was the reaction of their action!
That's not what she said at all. You're just looking for a fight.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 2:11 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

here's the web sites again may be read them and try to be a good role model to everyone
http://www.zerotothree.org/site/PageServer
http://www.circleofsecurity.org/
http://www.erikson.edu/home.asp
Old Jun 21st 2007, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

timbuktoo is just really nicetimbuktoo is just really nicetimbuktoo is just really nicetimbuktoo is just really nicetimbuktoo is just really nicetimbuktoo is just really nicetimbuktoo is just really nicetimbuktoo is just really nicetimbuktoo is just really nice

As said numerous times above - every country has a cross-section of the same type of problems.

I recently came back from a 5 week visit to Oz. (I have Oz passport and my OH is Oz, thinking of moving back etc etc.)

Anyway, stayed for one of the weeks on the Gold Coast at Palm Beach with friends and happened to read in the local paper about the locals protesting against the FREE NEEDLE CENTRE that had been set up at Palm Beach, and why was that nescessary when there were already TWO other FREE NEEDLE CENTRES within 2miles up and down that stretch. They quoted the amount of NEEDLES given out - 10,000 in one month or something equally horrific. You need to pick up the local papers to get a gist of what really goes on in any town in any part of the world.

Same ***** different bucket as they say..... A nice sunny one at least !
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:08 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

It can be an eye opener reading the local paper of where you plan to live...you can find most online...I never knew there was so much going on around here until I found my local paper on the net...and here was I thinking I lived in a safe all American small town...
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arkon
That's not what she said at all. You're just looking for a fight.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:16 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

What the hell are you on about? How did you leap to that conclusion? This isn't the thread to debate it. Move to the other one and I will.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:51 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ehm, no it wasn't, it's about the trash culture in UK...A lot of cultures still have norms and values!!!
Something that seems to be missing in UK
Trash culture is alive in every country to pick on the uk is ridiculous to say the least!!!

Having lived in the uk and oz there is good and bad in both countries luckily the trash culture has never affect my life in either.

It makes me laugh that people who arent even here yet feel fit to comment that these things dont happen here there are various stories in the newspapers everyday here just same as the uk ones it LIFE it doesnt matter where you chose to live shit happens!!!

kezx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.