Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Merits of us citizenship if moving back to the uk

Merits of us citizenship if moving back to the uk

Old Feb 5th 2014, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

toko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Merits of us citizenship if moving back to the uk

I am hoping I can glean some advice/experience from those on this valuable community. We have now been US residents for 8 years, Green Card Holders for 6 and thus elegible for US Citizenship. While we have no concrete plans to return to the UK, this is always a possibility for us and our children. As the children are under age 18 (17, 14, 9) it would make sense to apply for citizenship now before the eldest hits 18 and would have to file his own application. There apears to be little downside to being US Citizens, in that one can retain UK Citizenship also. However, I would welcome people's experience of having returned to the UK after having become US Citizens. Is there something onorous that we are commiting to aside from obligating ourselves and our children to filing US tax returns every year? Indeed how much more complicated is it to file a US tax return when resident in the UK versus when resident in the US? Are there any other long term negative consequences? We are of course aware of the benefits of US citizenship (advantageous tax situations when resident in the US, freedom for our family to live and work in UK and US etc). Any experiences welcome!
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Merits of us citizenship if moving back to the uk

There are advantages to having US Citizenship, if living in the US. Undoubtedly, a number of posters will respond with those positives. There is the obvious positive of being able to live in both the US or UK when the family has both citizenships.

Meant in the kindest possible way, you have no idea how big that IF is in your title.

I'm a dual US/UK citizen, living in the UK. I'll let the positive commenters respond first. There are considerations, as you've pointed out in your post, but until someone is thoroughly embedded back in the UK the 'it couldn't really be that bad' mentality is thinking based on hopes, and not in experience. In reality, there are no life altering negatives (in 99.5% of cases) to having US citizenship, but there are some concerns.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be leaving the door open to you and your children for a return later on in life and you'll also be giving any future grandchildren US citizenship.

Filing tax returns with the IRS is the only real problem and that is more of an inconvenience.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

I have recently applied for naturalization. After living in the US for 28 yrs, I need to be able to move freely between the UK and the US, without risking my PR status. For me, it seems to make sense to have dual citizenship.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

For us it is the freedom to come and go as we please between the US and UK.

We also have children living in the USA, but even if we didn't, I don't think I would close the door of opportunity of a return to the USA should things go belly-up. Maybe a few years of filing taxes in 2 countries will change that opinion, but I doubt it.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

I have two small children born in the US. I am a UKC and my wife is a USC therefore the kids are dualies. They have both passports. We're moving back home to the UK this year and I've been gone for 26-plus years. I got my US Citizenship last year just in case future events and plans mean that we need to return to the USA for a period of time... for either my wife or my kids. It's just good insurance against the 'whoknowswhattheheckisgoingtohappen.'

Good luck to you!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like a good idea in your situation. I am not going to do it when I move back this year though. I am too old to come back again permanently.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It sounds like a good idea in your situation. I am not going to do it when I move back this year though. I am too old to come back again permanently.
Sorted out a new gig back in the UK then? That's exciting

To the OP - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship

In the wiki, some points were pointed out in that to get you started
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Sorted out a new gig back in the UK then? That's exciting

To the OP - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship

In the wiki, some points were pointed out in that to get you started
Yes, finally Thanks Bob.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:18 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Despite being in the US on and off between 1983 and 2006, I never even applied for a GC, never mind citizenship. Looking back, the main advantage of getting USC would have been the ease of travel, the right to live there for longer than 90 days at a time, and the right to work there without all the work permit crap. Having spent much/most of my adult live over there, I look at it as my second home and have some very dear friends there, so it would be "nice" to have USC but I don't cry over it.

As far as I can tell, the main disadvantage, as others have said, is having to file a tax return every year. However, from what I have read, the tax disadvantage is generally low to zero for most people because of the dual-taxation treaty and the fact that UK taxes are generally higher than US taxes (so for most people, there would be no US tax due).

However, I have often wondered about the disadvantages of the US treatment of things like endowments, ISAs, and the 25% tax-free pension lump sum? This may be a relative non-issue for those who spent most of their lives in the US, but it's possible (particularly as many BEs are higher-earning professionals) to build up quite a bit of money in all three of those within only 10 years in the UK. Presumably if you are a USC, you'd have to pay US tax on these things, which are tax-free in the UK?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

I am no expert on this (I should be as it effects me big time) but if you are a US citizen living in the UK I believe you can claim US Social Security once at retiring age. I have paid into it for 27yrs but not being a USC and moving back to the UK I don't think I will be able to claim a penny of it back. Nor can it be transferred to the UK pension system.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ncoomber
I am no expert on this (I should be as it effects me big time) but if you are a US citizen living in the UK I believe you can claim US Social Security once at retiring age. I have paid into it for 27yrs but not being a USC and moving back to the UK I don't think I will be able to claim a penny of it back. Nor can it be transferred to the UK pension system.
You are entitled to your US SS whether you're a US citizen or not. Just file for it as normal once you decide to take it, even from the UK. Be aware of WEP (there's many threads on BE about WEP).
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
You are entitled to your US SS whether you're a US citizen or not. Just file for it as normal once you decide to take it, even from the UK. Be aware of WEP (there's many threads on BE about WEP).
+1

Even though your SS will be reduced a little through WEP, 27 years of contributions should be a tidy monthly sum to get.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
One reason I am applying for naturalization is to protect my SS. I have paid in for 28 yrs. You never know if the law might change disallowing anyone but a USC to claim SS.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if the laws change there will be some protection for people that have earned the right to SS even though not US citizens. With any major law changes there is always the "grandfathering" piece to it for people who earned before a certain year. Unless you plan to live in the US again at some point then I don't see the benefit to getting citizenship. You can still travel back and forth with no issue without citizenship so thats not a worry. Plus for me personally I would never be able to pledge allegiance to the flag when I feel no allegiance to the country at all. But thats just me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.