Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Mega-trip planned next Summer - advice?

Wikiposts

Mega-trip planned next Summer - advice?

Old Dec 13th 2011, 10:56 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mega-trip planned next Summer - advice?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
We are too scared to say, in case our recommendation does not live up to your expectations.

Do you want something a little different?

A 7/11 style pub. Its run by a Korean guy who always wanted a pub, but ended up with a corner shop. His solution is to sell quality beer and have a table in store for your session.
Take the #21 from downtown and ask for the "Super Deli-Mart" at 35th & Barton. No decor (its a corner shop), but is unique in my experience.
That certainly sounds unique!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 1:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

With the cost of meals, train fare, lost time, you are spending far more than parking fees to fly across a country to fly over where you would have started in the first place.

I take a car service to JFK from Westchester County and the cost is only $55 each way.

Think you needed more sprout and less beer before making decisions in the future.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
No airport involved. Amtrak in, Amtrak out. Staying downtown.
Ahhh yes.... Why did I think airport?
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
We are too scared to say, in case our recommendation does not live up to your expectations.

Do you want something a little different?

A 7/11 style pub. Its run by a Korean guy who always wanted a pub, but ended up with a corner shop. His solution is to sell quality beer and have a table in store for your session.
Take the #21 from downtown and ask for the "Super Deli-Mart" at 35th & Barton. No decor (its a corner shop), but is unique in my experience.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 10:46 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
With the cost of meals, train fare, lost time, you are spending far more than parking fees to fly across a country to fly over where you would have started in the first place.

I take a car service to JFK from Westchester County and the cost is only $55 each way.

Think you needed more sprout and less beer before making decisions in the future.
Thanks! The out of pocket expense in all of these arrangements is roughly equal to the cost of parking at the airport at Boston and/or a one-way car service from where I live, so - cost of beer and a cheap meal or two in Seattle and Vancouver I am "losing" only my time, which I am using to have a bit of an adventure with! The miles spent didn't cost me anything to begin with.

Sorry if my style of humour didn't quite hit the spot - but I'm basically seeking recommendations about the journey I am going to be doing, not the one I'm not.

Thanks to all for your input so far.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 12:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Sorry if my style of humour didn't quite hit the spot - but I'm basically seeking recommendations about the journey I am going to be doing, not the one I'm not.

Thanks to all for your input so far.
Sorry I missed the humour. Oh well what can you expect from a Yank, right? We are so lacking in humour

Hey, enjoy your adventure. Have a friend in Pittsfield that uses Amtrak to travel to Arizona each year. Leaves from Pittsfield to Albany and then onward to Chicago and then a train change again. He wouldn't go any other way.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GeoffM

Over on a rail forum I frequent, there are a couple of recommendations while stopping over in Chicago:
http://www.millerspub.com/ - should be able to get your beer fix here
http://www.theberghoff.com/default.aspx - perhaps a bit poncy, especially considering the bloke who recommends it
I've not been to either.

(
I didn't find the Berghoff in the slightest bit poncy. We went there for a drink on our first night of our stay, and then went back to eat on the 2nd night. Good grub, and pretty good price from what I recall. I can't comment on the beer I'm afraid, I don't remember. And it's walking distance from Union Station.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 10:42 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by taffie77
I didn't find the Berghoff in the slightest bit poncy. We went there for a drink on our first night of our stay, and then went back to eat on the 2nd night. Good grub, and pretty good price from what I recall. I can't comment on the beer I'm afraid, I don't remember. And it's walking distance from Union Station.
Maybe you're a classier bird than you give yourself credit for?

Anyway - from what you said could be worth a look for sure.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taffie77
You're probably right. As I say, I haven't been there. The pictures looked fancy and the bloke that recommended it is a bit of a snob, I just put 2 and 2 together. Didn't mean to offend.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GeoffM
You're probably right. As I say, I haven't been there. The pictures looked fancy and the bloke that recommended it is a bit of a snob, I just put 2 and 2 together. Didn't mean to offend.
No worries, none taken. Besides, Tonrob is probably right