Me in the Midlands

Old Dec 23rd 2011, 6:23 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Me in the Midlands

Been back permanently since the 10th December....loving it, even though it's dartk and cold....SO GLAD we did not sell our house when we went to Spain in 2004.

Our Spanish house sale is due for completion in January. I know i will never again have such a beautiful house, in such a beautiful location, with great neighbours...but nevertheless we are not missing it at all and feel so peaceful to be back in our Victorian terraced house that we bought in 1976.

Peace.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 1:23 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Me in the Midlands

Congrats Scampicat, sounds like you are settling back into British life

Why did you leave Spain?
Old Dec 24th 2011, 1:37 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

We never intended it to be a permanent move, and the time felt right to return....especially as we were lucky enough to get a buyer for our house!
Old Dec 25th 2011, 3:24 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

You were lucky you had a home to return to in a nice area
Old Dec 25th 2011, 8:13 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by Lorry1
You were lucky you had a home to return to in a nice area

Thanks, yes, great that we had a home to comer back to
Old Dec 26th 2011, 9:37 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by scampicat
Been back permanently since the 10th December....loving it, even though it's dartk and cold....SO GLAD we did not sell our house when we went to Spain in 2004.

Our Spanish house sale is due for completion in January. I know i will never again have such a beautiful house, in such a beautiful location, with great neighbours...but nevertheless we are not missing it at all and feel so peaceful to be back in our Victorian terraced house that we bought in 1976.

Peace.
We were in Alhama in the summer. I hope to go to Granada next year pennies allowing! Glad to hear you have settled back in so well.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 10:38 pm
Ex Expat

Thanks all!
Old Jan 5th 2012, 5:54 pm
Ex Expat

I've just been offered a job!

It's only a couple of hours a week getting the paperwork for a small business in a suitable state for the accountant, but it's a start!

My husband and I are also awaiting an interview date for House/Petsitting.

Not bad after being retired for nearly eight years!
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:06 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It's only a couple of hours a week getting the paperwork for a small business in a suitable state for the accountant, but it's a start!

Well done.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

House & pet sitting. That sounds like a god idea for fun flexible retirement occupations.
Welcome back.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:01 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
House & pet sitting. That sounds like a god idea for fun flexible retirement occupations.
Welcome back.
Exactly what we thought. My husband gets a chance to walk and have fun with a dog or two, the houseowners get their house and pets looked after, I can catch up on my reading and we get paid for using someone else's gas and electricity.

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 7th 2012 at 7:03 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:30 pm
Ex Expat

Exactly what we thought. My husband gets a chance to walk and have fun with a dog or two, the houseowners get their house and pets looked after, I can catch up on my reading and we get paid for using someone else's gas and electricity.

The house/pet sitting agency are now taking up references.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 4:18 pm
Ex Expat

We have had a telephone interview for the home/petsitting, it is looking very good, the guy says we will be called for a formal interview soon.

Oh to be doing something useful again, it is doing me the world of good! I am also doing some bookkeeping for a small business and am today starting my first stint as Steward at church. (and so is my husband).

There was nothing I could do in Spain that I wanted to do and although I enjoyed my time there, I was beginning to vegetate. I used to say it would be lovely to read all day, but now I've had to do it, I think it can wait until I am in my eighties.

As my friend always says, I need concrete around me.....scenery is to look at on holiday.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a telephone interview for the home/petsitting, it is looking very good, the guy says we will be called for a formal interview soon.

Oh to be doing something useful again, it is doing me the world of good! I am also doing some bookkeeping for a small business and am today starting my first stint as Steward at church. (and so is my husband).

There was nothing I could do in Spain that I wanted to do and although I enjoyed my time there, I was beginning to vegetate. I used to say it would be lovely to read all day, but now I've had to do it, I think it can wait until I am in my eighties.

As my friend always says, I need concrete around me.....scenery is to look at on holiday.
I think you have a valid concern there about vegetating and I agree it is very nice to chill and read etc while on hols but yes, some of us do need a sense of purpose in our lives, whether it is a version of work or other occupation.
We are coming to conclusion that life with some semblance of routine activity in UK, with occasional diversionary holidays, is the way to go for our retirement.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 5:44 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I think you have a valid concern there about vegetating and I agree it is very nice to chill and read etc while on hols but yes, some of us do need a sense of purpose in our lives, whether it is a version of work or other occupation.
We are coming to conclusion that life with some semblance of routine activity in UK, with occasional diversionary holidays, is the way to go for our retirement.
Yes, this is obviously what suits us too, although at the time we went to Spain it was the right thiing to do and we never expected it to be permanent.

We also knew when it was right to come back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.